Dadrian

New DVD releases

Recommended Posts

summer84

I asked them. :) 

And though the answer didn't give out much information here is what "he" said: "Well, DVDs are only ever SD. Hopefully we hear something about Blu-ray later on..."

I found this interesting article about DVD's vs. Blu-ray. http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/03/18/why-dvds-better-than-blu-ray?page=1 (There are three pages and it's from 2009, still I found it relevant) Apparently is has something to do with "Money". (As it always does :D)  Blu-ray is more expensive and the DVD's are here to stay a little longer.

Of course I would rather watch Miami Vice on Blu-ray, but since thats not possible yet, I have thought of maybe buying a DVD player that upscales.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EV1L

They simply doesn't care about it.

I lost faith in getting all those more or less classic TV's long time ago. Heck, some company's even recreating cgi effects in HD, now that is time and money consuming, but in MV case it just only needs standard remastering + music licensing.

Only hope is that some other network or country will pick it up, like did Japan with Knight Rider BluRay.

Also small possibility that one of channel networks, streaming services or etc will get that new (maybe in HD) transfer and will put it on the air. In most cases streaming services often getting the new material to replace old ones. So watch out for HD channels that/if starts re-airing MV in couple months... but personally I don't count on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James
17 hours ago, EV1L said:

5 Image comparison:

That s02 scene from TV comparison to match 16:9 cropped frame to 4:3 with upscalled DVD from 576p to 720p. Green area - cropped frame in HDTV.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/165299/

It was long time ago when I watched it, but:

in first screen comparison you can tell that source has boosted colors, black levels (in my opinion overdone), cleaner, better grain and different (looking at heads, corrected?) aspect ratio.

in second screen you can see that person behind has more detail on the face.

 


Yeah, it looks like they cropped it, upscaled it a bit, sharpened the image and boosted the colours. Looks like the producers of the documentary show done it themselves though from the DVD version of it.

I've done things like this in VLC Media player, usually on my 720p Hulu-ripped copies to boost the colours to try to match a modern day high definition show. Sharpening and changing the colours can remove a lot of the fuzziness in some scenes, I've noticed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Zubenko
2 hours ago, James said:


Yeah, it looks like they cropped it, upscaled it a bit, sharpened the image and boosted the colours. Looks like the producers of the documentary show done it themselves though from the DVD version of it.

I've done things like this in VLC Media player, usually on my 720p Hulu-ripped copies to boost the colours to try to match a modern day high definition show. Sharpening and changing the colours can remove a lot of the fuzziness in some scenes, I've noticed.

I keep hearing about those Hulu versions of the show, I'd love to take a look at them, but it doesn't seem possible for someone who's living outside the US.

Any chance someone might be kind enough to share them?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferrariman

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is just another money grab. They will slowly come out with all 5 seasons. Then shortly after they'll come out with a newly designed box set that every die hard fan will just have to have!  Then, once they are sure everyone has bought their set, they'll roll out the blu-rays.  This has become common practice in the DVD industry.  You buy a movie and 3 months later a new version comes out that has 3 extra seconds of content and everyone flocks to the video stores!  Just ask me how many copies of "Blade Runner" I have!   No more for me. I'm quite happy with my current box set until a Blu-ray version actually appears.

The 1 thing that did catch my eye though was the guarantee that all the original music would be there, so that tells me that clearing the music is not a problem.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
damrod

Hate when they put out a regular copy of a show, then one with extras never before seen and then the uncut uncensored version and on and on like I am made of money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy
2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is just another money grab. They will slowly come out with all 5 seasons. Then shortly after they'll come out with a newly designed box set that every die hard fan will just have to have!  Then, once they are sure everyone has bought their set, they'll roll out the blu-rays. 

Watch yer back, pal, Hollywood is gonna send a team of hitmen to rub you out for spillin' the beans.  :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84
On ‎13‎-‎03‎-‎2016 at 2:13 PM, SimplyMark said:

I keep hearing about those Hulu versions of the show, I'd love to take a look at them, but it doesn't seem possible for someone who's living outside the US.

Any chance someone might be kind enough to share them?)

Here is a brief clip of how Miami Vice in HD looks like. Just discovered this myself. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPGyQvauwbY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James

That's just upscaled. The DVD version stretched, not native HD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84
12 hours ago, James said:

That's just upscaled. The DVD version stretched, not native HD.

But at least, I am glad to know, that the upscaled version actually does work. To me it looks pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanna Girl
On 3/11/2016 at 9:17 AM, EV1L said:

5 Image comparison:

That s02 scene from TV comparison to match 16:9 cropped frame to 4:3 with upscalled DVD from 576p to 720p. Green area - cropped frame in HDTV.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/165299/

It was long time ago when I watched it, but:

in first screen comparison you can tell that source has boosted colors, black levels (in my opinion overdone), cleaner, better grain and different (looking at heads, corrected?) aspect ratio.

in second screen you can see that person behind has more detail on the face.

 

The difference is very apparent.  Thank you for the screenshots EV1L!  :cool: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Looks a lot better if that is how the new dvd sets will look - much sharper:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian

I'm also hoping they resolved the various soundtrack/score issues we had with the first release.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stinger390X
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:23 PM, Ferrariman said:

As much as I hate to admit it, I think this is just another money grab. They will slowly come out with all 5 seasons. Then shortly after they'll come out with a newly designed box set that every die hard fan will just have to have!  Then, once they are sure everyone has bought their set, they'll roll out the blu-rays.  This has become common practice in the DVD industry.  You buy a movie and 3 months later a new version comes out that has 3 extra seconds of content and everyone flocks to the video stores!  Just ask me how many copies of "Blade Runner" I have!   No more for me. I'm quite happy with my current box set until a Blu-ray version actually appears.

The 1 thing that did catch my eye though was the guarantee that all the original music would be there, so that tells me that clearing the music is not a problem.

Funny you mentioned that Ferrariman....

I also have four different versions of Bladerunner with the final directors cut being my favourite!

I also will patiently wait for the last blueray to come out in a box set (if it ever happens?)

I have all five seasons already, but I was strolling through an old used movie store and they had a box set of all the five seasons in a very colourful box for only 79.95!  I contemplated buying it but I thought "What for?"  Could this box set have anything else I already have? Who knows...

It was just another packed set but I am not sure if it had any other goodies included?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferrariman

Love the final cut too! They fixed a lot of mistakes and the way they digitally put Joanna Cassidy's face on the stunt woman is amazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy
On March 21, 2016 at 0:35 PM, nofretz said:

I'm also hoping they resolved the various soundtrack/score issues we had with the first release.  

What issues?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian

Some missing Jan Hammer cues on "Sons and Lovers", and noticibly lower volume levels on his "Definitely Miami" cues, to name a couple. I'd have to dig for the others ha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy
30 minutes ago, nofretz said:

Some missing Jan Hammer cues on "Sons and Lovers", and noticibly lower volume levels on his "Definitely Miami" cues, to name a couple. I'd have to dig for the others ha. 

Fascinating!  I never knew about this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
5 hours ago, airtommy said:

Fascinating!  I never knew about this.  

No - I never knew that also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James

Do you think they got the hint?

2i1l7bn.png

I've actually been tweeting them back every time they mention Miami Vice. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
vicegirl85

Hey, it can't hurt!  I added my two cents' worth and tweeted them back as well.

Edited by vicegirl85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84
6 hours ago, James said:

Do you think they got the hint?

2i1l7bn.png

I've actually been tweeting them back every time they mention Miami Vice. :)

Haha.:) That's one way to do it. I only asked them once, directly. But yes, I think they got it.

Or maybe you should ask them directly.

Edited by summer84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James
1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Haha.:) That's one way to do it. I only asked them once, directly. But yes, I think they got it.

Or maybe you should ask them directly.

Twitter is pretty direct. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Twitter may work :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84
1 hour ago, James said:

Twitter is pretty direct. :)

I meant more like a private conversation. But of course you can do it, that way too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now