Episode 43 - Trust Fund Pirates

airtommy

CGlide's location guide to this episode is here:

http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page33.html

In the opening teaser we see this clip during a montage of Miami photos:  

wp0_wp0_wp0_wpa9c79514.png

CGlide says: "Miami River Raw Bar. I think this was located on the north bank of the Miami River at SW 1st Street in Miami but I am not sure."  Squinting at historicaerials.com (especially the 2005 shots), this looks like a good match.

Trust1.png

• blue = East Coast Fisheries seen in "Give a Little, Take a Little"
  • yellow = building that I think CGlide is referring to
  • red = where Tubbs gets picked for the voodoo party in "Tale of the Goat"

Trust2.png

I searched the Internet for a possible view of this area but came up with nothing.  I have no idea what the name of this "Miami Raw Bar" establishment was.  I looked at these MV scenes but there is no view of that area:

• "Give a Little, Take a Little" at East Coast Fisheries
  • "Lend me an Ear" - panoramic shot of C&T driving on freeway
  • "Freefall" - hostage situation

Did Burn Notice film in this area, such as across the river?

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

That's good work airtommy, I always wondered about the location of the Miami River Raw Bar.  Looks like it would be easy to find but isn't.  Here is a screenshot at 45:37 from Burn Notice's Loose Ends, Season one filmed in Sept of 07 that shows what might be the building up close to the bridge.  But if you use your DVD players digital zoom there is not much resemblance that I can see.

PDVD_000jpg.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Yes, Burn Notice did film a few episodes on the Bridge; Dead Drop, Friends Like These, and No Good Deed. Unfortunately this does not help us as when I was taking pictures there in 2006 for Give A Little Take A Little they had already gutted the building removing most exterior walls including windows on the river side. This was prior to any BN filming. I should post some of those pictures because there are some history buffs here that might like them.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, C Glide said:

Yes, Burn Notice did film a few episodes on the Bridge; Dead Drop, Friends Like These, and No Good Deed. Unfortunately this does not help us as when I was taking pictures there in 2006 for Give A Little Take A Little they had already gutted the building removing most exterior walls including windows on the river side. This was prior to any BN filming. I should post some of those pictures because there are some history buffs here that might like them.

Yes, I'd love to see those photos!

In that BN screenshot from "Loose Ends" it looks like the building in question has been complete removed.  All we can see is the short building that was  next to it and East Coast Fisheries.

I do remember the early seasons of CSI Miami showing aerial shots of the Miami River.  That was 2002.

I love seeing these location pics.

PMT’s song La Mirada plays in the background during the club scene.

I uploaded the song and full LP along with as some of you have seen Livin’ the Book of My Life recorded version of PMT’s song from the Maze episode.

Her’s a link to the thread with more info and tech 411 “PMT Livin’ the Book of My Life Full 1985 Vinyl LP HD”

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/12643-pmt-livin’-the-book-of-my-life-full-1985-vinyl-lp-hd/&page=1

• 4 weeks later...

The Arc-light arcade seen in this episode as a nighttime establishing shot was found in Fort Lauderdale a while back - anyone have the exact address?!:dance2::dance2:

Hmmm. I will have to look that up as I have not updated my site yet with that info. I remember the location was used in another episode that we talked about here. Can't think of which one off the top of my head but was the place called the Candy Store?

• 3 months later...

In "No Exit", Crockett goes to meet the hit man at Jose Marti Park.  The opening camera shot of this scene shows the building in question.  Hopefully when we see this on Blu-Ray it will be more clear.

No_Exit1.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On August 10, 2016 at 4:23 AM, Crockettt said:

It's East Coast Fisheries building.

Yeah, you're right.  Here is a clearer view from a publicity shot posted in another thread.  The building right next to the bridge is much shorter.

season-1-pictured-don-johnson-as-detecti

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

Yeah, you're right.  Here is a clearer view from a publicity shot posted in another thread.  The building right next to the bridge is much shorter.

season-1-pictured-don-johnson-as-detecti

I remember that background building being quite prominent in "Tale of the Goat"

• 2 months later...

Tradewinds Hotel / Establishing Shot ( "The Candy Store" ) at 1 North Atlantic Bvld , Fort Lauderdale - I believe this is the location Today :D

Nowadays - The Ritz Carlton takes up most of the entire block up to Castillo Street 

https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?v=2&cp=26.123224~-80.104500&lvl=16&sty=r&q=1 N Atlantic Blvd, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States&form=LMLTCC

From Castillo Street ( alternative angle)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@26.1233181,-80.1039911,3a,75y,248.02h,107.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smqqoIvR73uq1OoIWG-Oh6Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1?hl=en

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Found this old photo taken on the Miami River (no date but maybe 50s?).  I think the building marked "Fisheries" is probably the "Miami River Raw Bar" seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates.  The building to the left of it looks like East Coast Fisheries.  Check this second photo showing the East Coast Fisheries taken, maybe in the 20s or 30s when it was still an active fish market etc.  The horizontal lines on the bottom match up with the old photo and the windows sort of match.  The photo makes the building and bridges etc look closer together than they actually were.  Let me know what you think.

img0013A.jpg

East-Coast-Fisheries.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Found this old photo taken on the Miami River (no date but maybe 50s?).  I think the building marked "Fisheries" is probably the "Miami River Raw Bar" seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates.  The building to the left of it looks like East Coast Fisheries.  Check this second photo showing the East Coast Fisheries taken, maybe in the 20s or 30s when it was still an active fish market etc.  The horizontal lines on the bottom match up with the old photo and the windows sort of match.  The photo makes the building and bridges etc look closer together than they actually were.  Let me know what you think.

First of all, I absolutely love this photo (the first one).  It's such a rare point of view and it has such a gritty industrial feeling.  This was a great find, Jim!

The building on the left in your first photo is definitely the East Coast Fisheries building in your second photo.  I can't say for sure if the smaller building is our "Miami River Raw Bar".  It might be, but I can't see anything to confirm it.  Some of the windows look the same, but some look different.  However, that could be an illusion created by some obstructions or temporary boarding-up.    That photo sure does have a powerful zoom.

• Like 2

Agree, it's a great photo that brings out the industrial essence of the Miami River that was so important to the cities growth.  I think there is an excellent chance that the building in the photo with "Fisheries" painted on the side was later the Miami River Raw Bar building in Vice.  Check out this screen cap from Give a Little Take a Little.

Michael J. Attanasio was one of the show’s producers and it is likely that the film crew, looking for a name, painted his name on the building for Give a Little Take a Little.  Yet is it a coincidence that the crew painted the word Fisheries in about the same area?  I think it is likely that the word (probably faded) was already on the old building so they chose to use the same word as a nod to the original building.  Also note that the top of the building juts out towards the river in both the old pic and the screencap.

PDVD_000f.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, miamijimf said:

img0013A.jpg

East-Coast-Fisheries.jpg

Great work Jim !

• Like 1

Thanks Tom and Matt.  I found the date of the old photo in the Miami Herald's Flashback Miami web site, (larger photo in above post) its 3/17/1981.  It looks older than that to me, probably because of its dark and gritty look.

15 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Thanks Tom and Matt.  I found the date of the old photo in the Miami Herald's Flashback Miami web site, (larger photo in above post) its 3/17/1981.  It looks older than that to me, probably because of its dark and gritty look.

It's a great photo really nice to see especially as before Miami Vice :fireworks:

• Like 1

On 11/13/2016 at 9:32 AM, Matt5 said:

Although this is the Candy Store also in Fort Lauderdale - just trying to match up the establishing shot we saw in MV?:D

CaptureTradeWindsHotel.JPG

The main building in that photo is not the Candy Store.  It is the Tradewinds Hotel.   On the left side of the photo is a small white two-story building.  This is an old photo and that building would eventually be replaced or refurbished and become the Candy Store.  However, you inspired me to do some searching and I have made a breakthrough.

This is the setup shot we are hunting for.  I've tinkered with the photo to make it more visible:

Trust3.png

I had never been able to find a photo of the Candy Store, but finally I found one in a spring break video.  The Trade Winds is on the right and the Candy Store is on the left.  

Candy_Store.png

You can compare and match up many features: the candy-stripe awning, the second floor windows, the paneling above the windows, the fencing.  I think we can finally say this location is confirmed to be the Candy Store in Fort Lauderdale on the SW corner of A1A and Castillo Street.  The building has been demolished and replaced with a Ritz Carlton Hotel.  The Trade Winds Hotel is now the Silver Seas Beach Resort, but the building is basically unchanged.  

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

I got the photo from this video:

A blog post about the Candy Store and the Trade Winds Hotel:

The Candy Store, sleazy ghost of Fort Lauderdale's Spring Break past

http://janeshistorynook.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-candy-store-sleezy-ghost-of-fort.html

[edit] It seems CGlide had already found that video and posted it here:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7683-location-trivia-level-two/&page=145

and he found this interesting angle of the Candy Store:

wpf886efb6_05_06.jpg

So, maybe this location was already confirmed????

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1