airtommy

Episode 43 - Trust Fund Pirates

Recommended Posts

Matt5
36 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I got the photo from this video:

 

A blog post about the Candy Store and the Trade Winds Hotel:

The Candy Store, sleazy ghost of Fort Lauderdale's Spring Break past

http://janeshistorynook.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-candy-store-sleezy-ghost-of-fort.html

 

[edit] It seems CGlide had already found that video and posted it here:

http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/7683-location-trivia-level-two/&page=145

and he found this interesting angle of the Candy Store:

wpf886efb6_05_06.jpg

So, maybe this location was already confirmed????

Very interesting airtommy

In Fort Lauderdale I took this picture of the former site / now the Ritz -Carlton on North Fort Lauderdale Beach Bvld/ A1A to Castillo St .

IMG_2693.JPG

Edited by Matt5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamijimf

Came across the first photo of East Coast Fisheries from the 50s in Don Boyd’s excellent photo galleries at pbase.com.  Didn’t know it was also a hotel at that time, “The River’s Edge.”  We ate there in the very early 80s when it was a restaurant, great food.  We can now say that where C &T meet Bob Rickert in Give a Little, Take a Little was part of East Coast Fisheries, at least at one time.  This was unclear to me.  Don’t know for sure if it was part of the same business when Give a Little was filmed because the name was different, supposedly painted by Vice.  It could have been vacant or maybe Vice promised to repaint the name East Cost Fisheries again after filming. 

After looking carefully at the next 1981 black and white photo and the screencap it seems highly problematic to me that this building  south of East Coast Fisheries was the "Miami River Raw Bar" seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates.  I know the location is right but they don’t match.  I know the Trust Fund teaser clip could be earlier stock footage but did they reconstruct the entire waterfront façade?  What you think?

 

10888845_10203211563317188_1246887034963157228_n.jpg

img0013A.jpg.12192f8338220762b3f098f92d853f04.jpg

wp0_wp0_wp0_wpa9c79514.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy

Looking at the windows facing the river, the only thing that doesn't match is the left side on the second floor.  It's possible that window was boarded up at the time of the photo but not for the Vice shot.  All the other windows match up decently well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamijimf
17 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Looking at the windows facing the river, the only thing that doesn't match is the left side on the second floor.  It's possible that window was boarded up at the time of the photo but not for the Vice shot.  All the other windows match up decently well.

Yes I know logically it should be the same building and you can't expect buildings to always match up perfectly when sleuthing but check the vertical distance between the top and bottom windows.  Big difference there between the photo and the teaser clip.  Did they just board up just the top part of the lower windows?  Maybe the date for the black and white photo is wrong.  Too bad we don't have the date for the clip in the teaser.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy
9 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

 check the vertical distance between the top and bottom windows.  Big difference there between the photo and the teaser clip.  Did they just board up just the top part of the lower windows? 

Very good point about the spacing.  I didn't notice that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamijimf

Came across another old photo from 1962 showing the fisheries building next to East Coast Fisheries.  Of course they could have built it up but it looks kind of small to be the Miami River Raw Bar seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates.  And it seems unlikely they would build up a "Frozen Food Dept." storage building and turn it into a raw bar but the photo posted above, taken 19 yrs later, does look taller.

 

wholesale operations 1926.jpg

wholesale operations 1926.jpg

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamijimf

CGlide - would really like to get your opinion on this issue.  Was the Fisheries building (across the lot from the main East Coast Fisheries Building) really the Miami River Raw Bar seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates and in Freefall?  If I had to guess I would say yes because of the location despite the mismatches.  Especially see airtommy's post of 5 March.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:02 PM, airtommy said:

 

A blog post about the Candy Store and the Trade Winds Hotel:

The Candy Store, sleazy ghost of Fort Lauderdale's Spring Break past

http://janeshistorynook.blogspot.com/2015/07/the-candy-store-sleezy-ghost-of-fort.html

wpf886efb6_05_06.jpg

 

Very interesting article about the Candy Store and I'm pretty sure I spent some time there back in the day when I was down there on business on at least 3 different trips. Was quite a lively,ahem, place. ;)

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crockettt

Rare footages of East Coast Fisheries area from 1983/04/09 and 1984/01/30

http://pc.cd/4fK7

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
miamijimf
10 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Rare footages of East Coast Fisheries area from 1983/04/09 and 1984/01/30

http://pc.cd/4fK7

Very cool thanks.  Too bad they went out of business.  Sounds like hot weather may have been part of the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
On 5/4/2017 at 4:14 PM, Crockettt said:

Rare footages of East Coast Fisheries area from 1983/04/09 and 1984/01/30

http://pc.cd/4fK7

Good work !:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C Glide
On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:01 PM, miamijimf said:

Came across the first photo of East Coast Fisheries from the 50s in Don Boyd’s excellent photo galleries at pbase.com.  Didn’t know it was also a hotel at that time, “The River’s Edge.”  We ate there in the very early 80s when it was a restaurant, great food.  We can now say that where C &T meet Bob Rickert in Give a Little, Take a Little was part of East Coast Fisheries, at least at one time.  This was unclear to me.  Don’t know for sure if it was part of the same business when Give a Little was filmed because the name was different, supposedly painted by Vice.  It could have been vacant or maybe Vice promised to repaint the name East Cost Fisheries again after filming. 

 

After looking carefully at the next 1981 black and white photo and the screencap it seems highly problematic to me that this building  south of East Coast Fisheries was the "Miami River Raw Bar" seen in the teaser of Trust Fund Pirates.  I know the location is right but they don’t match.  I know the Trust Fund teaser clip could be earlier stock footage but did they reconstruct the entire waterfront façade?  What you think?

 

10888845_10203211563317188_1246887034963157228_n.jpg

img0013A.jpg.12192f8338220762b3f098f92d853f04.jpg

wp0_wp0_wp0_wpa9c79514.png

I think the Miami River Raw Bar was most likely on SE 5th Street at Miami Avenue (east side of). Torn down to make room for new bridge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C Glide

Not much to add but if you had not noticed the Clark real estate sign the building was available to lease at the time so at least part of it was empty.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy
4 hours ago, C Glide said:

I think the Miami River Raw Bar was most likely on SE 5th Street at Miami Avenue (east side of). Torn down to make room for new bridge.

OK, I can see that building in the 1980 aerial.  That makes a lot of sense.  The East Coast Fisheries complex just wasn't quite a perfect match.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crockettt

airtommy, could you pinpoint location of this building?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy

It was on the south side of the Miami River right next to the Miami Avenue Bridge.  

  • red = Miami River Raw Bar
  • blue = OCB
  • green = Big Fish Restaurant (Lend Me An Ear)
  • pink = Tommy's Boatyard (Contempt of Court)

Trust4.png

 

Trust5.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy

At Flashback Miami they have a large 1962 photo of the river which shows the building from the side (wrong angle, so it doesn't help us confirm):

http://flashbackmiami.com/2014/07/30/miami-river/

Raw_Bar.png

Raw_Bar2.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

999 Brickell from the Miami montage in the teaser of this 1986 episode :hippie:

88D70998-F4BE-43AD-82B8-07E57BE11D0E.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

A different view of some of the buildings we see in the teaser in this Season 2 episode from 1986. 

I took this in February this year from 801 Brickell Key Dr on Brickell Key:hippie:

26C16192-CF9C-4D8F-B6AC-B4F5357CE879.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
On 05/04/2017 at 5:55 PM, Sonny-Burnett said:

Very interesting article about the Candy Store and I'm pretty sure I spent some time there back in the day when I was down there on business on at least 3 different trips. Was quite a lively,ahem, place. ;)

This was the former location on South Fort Lauderdale Beach Bvld/Castillo in Fort Lauderdale as of Feb 2017 when I was there. Now a Ritz Carlton. I previously posted a slightly different angle of this former location.

5EB69507-7A38-49E4-BBBC-21E737341169.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Not one of my shots - but this aerial of the current Ritz-Carlton at Castillo/South Fort Lauderdale Beach Bvld shows the former site location very well :hippie::happy:

84B7B6B7-5FDA-4DF9-A330-9A92082635F5.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now