"There's a thirst out there to see a reboot."

FerrariDaytonaSpyder

This article is a year-and-a-half old, but I was enthralled reading it.  And I would be absolutely jazzed to see a streaming reboot of all of our old favorite characters doing their Vice thing!  If this is old news, sorry, I ran a site search and didn't see it anywhere, and if nothing else, if you missed it before, here it is!

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/features/don-johnson-on-30-years-of-miami-vice-20141009

• Like 2

I had forgotten about this. Thanks!

Apparently David Martino (the guy, who owns the MV boat with Olivia at the boat show) I read is working on a reunion to happen with the cast this year, but personally I don't think it's going to happen.

• Like 1

my first thought was "no you can't do a reboot it's a completely different time"

if they were talking about doing a one off adventure  (maybe for netflix or amazon) maybe that might be different. but i don't know that you can really go back after 30 years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, DJAngel said:

Sure wish reboot would happen :cool:

I hope too - a reboot of some nature would also help a blu ray release :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Let's hope that if they do a reboot, they will take the elements of "Vice" that made the show a hit during the first two seasons as part of that reboot. And not turn it into a dark, broody, pretend-arthouse kind of thing like season five. And the movie was just too dark as well. Aside from the fact that it really wasn't a good movie by any standard, Vice or not.

As I understand it, it would actually be pretty easy to give a rebooted "Vice" TV series the same kind of light, upbeat tone again that it had before season three... Miami nowadays, and South Beach in particular, is more than ever a city with lots of hedonistic young party people, where the rich come to spend their money and make more of it, and probably oftentimes illicitly. Where pastel colors are also still alive and well. That's what people want to see, all that is what had them glued to TV screens until the end of season two.

So it'd be not that hard to let the whole thing come full circle and let new episodes pick up on that again, i.e. glamorizing the lifestyles of the wealthy, and of wealthy criminals. Pastel suits and all. And you'd have many new storylines examining Miami's role as a tourism magnet nowadays, without having to rehash that many old episodes.

The only challenge would be that in the mean time, TV series like CSI:Miami and others have done much of that... so that'd be a problem. How do you keep an edge over shows like that...

If Don Johnson himself has warmed up to the idea of rebooting the show, then that's a good thing; he was against it for a long time.

Also, his son Jesse would be just about the right age now to play a senior vice detective. That'd be pretty cool... he could play Billy Crockett, who followed in his father's footsteps at the OCB. Who comes to ask his dad for advice every now and then, who is spending his retirement on a boat in the Florida Keys, occasionally still offering guided tours...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 4

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 10:52 AM, AzVice said:

my first thought was "no you can't do a reboot it's a completely different time"

if they were talking about doing a one off adventure  (maybe for netflix or amazon) maybe that might be different. but i don't know that you can really go back after 30 years.

You CAN have a reboot..............read what Daytona74 just posted.

I've been saying the same thing for years.......Crockett & Tubbs can now be senior vice officers who are advisors to the young vice cops. They can also be involved in some of the action when appropriate!  :thumbsup: :cool:

I'm not sure Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas could still believably play active police officers. Not the kind of vice cops they played in the original series anyway.  I think their role would really be more as ex cops enjoying retirement, but who keep an eye on their sons who have followed in their footsteps.

But you'd have to have enough members of the old cast on board. Look at what happened with Dallas. It was pretty cool that they brought it back, but after Larry Hagman sadly passed away at the end of the first (?)  new season, the show kind of got on the down slope fast, although Patrick Duffy and Ken Kercheval were trying their best.

You'd have to have Don Johnson, probably even Philip Michael Thomas at least as supporting cast. Maybe not in every episode, but very regularly.

But still, you'd have to make the show "cutting edge" enough to make sure younger generations will warm up to it; we've now increasingly got a target audience of young viewers who were born quite some time after the show ended, and they have no recollection of Miami Vice from their own childhood or youth. At best, they grew up with CSI:Miami and Dexter. That's their frame of reference. So you'd have to somehow wow them as well and draw them into the world of Miami Vice, and not just be a dream come true for people our age and beyond who'd finally get their wish of new episodes granted.

Edited by Daytona74

the show would never look the same as it did then. heck it didn't look the same in season 5. there's also the problem of writers. Dallas came back, and got cancelled because of ratings, but the writing was bad. The dumb head writer wrote it like a crime drama. in  just 33 episodes she had two south american cartels threatening and kidnapping people. the acting was there but not what the show was really about (not to mention she also kept re-writing Dallas history)

Edited by AzVice

Yeah, you'd probably have to either bring the same writers back, or get people involved who'd be committed to making it look like the old "Vice". It could work though. Like I said, Miami might be even more of a place now than it was back then where a show like "Miami Vice: The Next Generation" could work.

I kind of think they should maybe try making it into a miniseries. You know, like they did with Fargo. Ten episodes per season, maybe with a connecting story arc. And then start over a year later with a different story to tell.  That would help keep a new series fresh and original, without tiring itself out too fast. IMHO, one reason why Miami Vice lost its magic was that like on any show, there comes a point when you just run out of good stories to tell.

The new Dallas could have been a hit but they chose the wrong writer.

I'd hope if MV came back it would have a a decent writer to give it a bit of staying power. I see no reason why Crockett and Tubbs shouldn't have a big influence on the show. Introducing a new team of investigators whilst also keeping a decent presence.

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I'm not sure Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas could still believably play active police officers. Not the kind of vice cops they played in the original series anyway.  I think their role would really be more as ex cops enjoying retirement, but who keep an eye on their sons who have followed in their footsteps.

But you'd have to have enough members of the old cast on board. Look at what happened with Dallas. It was pretty cool that they brought it back, but after Larry Hagman sadly passed away at the end of the first (?)  new season, the show kind of got on the down slope fast, although Patrick Duffy and Ken Kercheval were trying their best.

You'd have to have Don Johnson, probably even Philip Michael Thomas at least as supporting cast. Maybe not in every episode, but very regularly.

But still, you'd have to make the show "cutting edge" enough to make sure younger generations will warm up to it; we've now increasingly got a target audience of young viewers who were born quite some time after the show ended, and they have no recollection of Miami Vice from their own childhood or youth. At best, they grew up with CSI:Miami and Dexter. That's their frame of reference. So you'd have to somehow wow them as well and draw them into the world of Miami Vice, and not just be a dream come true for people our age and beyond who'd finally get their wish of new episodes granted.

I never really watched CSI Miami often. It was mostly Dexter and Burn Notice as my two favourite shows. Burn Notice was amazing, and they kept it realistic as far as technology goes. You didn't mention Burn Notice. :p

Yeah, DJ and PMT could be in it as supporting cast, if their kids are following in their footsteps, then it can be a "What would you do in this situation?" thing. And maybe have barbecues together as families lol. Lt. Gina Calabrese even? Everybody loves Gina. :)

If they make it cool and laid back, with some 80s inspirations for original score and music. Get one of the big retro Synthwave artists to take Jan Hammer's place. What my generation love the most is actually vice in general. Shows and movies about organised crime.

There's a reason why things like Scarface and even Miami Vice has gained popularity with the younger generations in the past 5 years, and it isn't JUST the retro scene. And today you got shows like Narcos which is hugely popular, and there's Ray Donovan which is pretty much a show about a extortionist who has an Irish ex-gangster as a father, probably THE greatest show on TV right now. This is the stuff people like.

In order to make a reboot successful, it cannot just be any other cop show like NCIS, CSI, Hawaii 5-0, etc. They have to go deeper. I think that's part of the reason why the original was so successful - Because it was originally more about the undercover work than the investigation. Cops in deep cover playing the part of a drug dealer, or gangster. Could they direct it like True Detective? I watched Season 2 of it (with Collin Farrell of course, Mr Crockett in the movie), and it had a unique coolness to it. 

But yeah, basically what I'm saying is that if they do it, it has to be directed like one of those types of dramas, or a movie - not a cop show. Dramas are always rated higher, and can have their own atmosphere. So there's my vision for it anyway, that would wow people and immerse them into the gritty world of an undercover cop. That's my vision anyway.

-- Also there was this show called Graceland which aired for the past 3 years (cancelled now unfortunately), about these undercover feds living in a house together. It was pretty cool, especially the first season. Based in LA, but actually filmed in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale area. It was created by the creator of White Collar, Jeff Eastin - Who if I'm not mistaken, also done some work on Burn Notice? I definitely recommend it if you have any streaming services, it's a good show and on the old IMDB it has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10.

• Like 2

vor 8 Stunden schrieb James:

In order to make a reboot successful, it cannot just be any other cop show like NCIS, CSI, Hawaii 5-0, etc. They have to go deeper. I think that's part of the reason why the original was so successful - Because it was originally more about the undercover work than the investigation.

Miami Vice was successful in its day because there was nothing else like it on TV at the time. People were used to shows like Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPS and Lou Grant. Or Magnum, PI or The Fall Guy. For what they were, they were all alright as crime drama entertainment. But Miami Vice broke the mould with the way it was produced.

Now, practically every show does that. Especially with the advancements in camera and recording technology, you can almost make any budget, run of the mill show look like a "big" movie. You've got your digital editing, you've got camera drones, you've got digital HD cameras, and all that...

So the question is going to be, how is a new "Miami Vice" going to steal their thunder. Miami Vice is still responsible for the way all those shows look nowadays, but that's kind of the point. In order to be yet again something new, something outrageous that hasn't been done before, the producers would have to come up with some groundbreaking innovations to TV drama once again. Or else, they will simply risk going unnoticed against today's competition. Given that even Miami itself has been the location for a number of other crime drama TV shows since then.

Edited by Daytona74

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Miami Vice was successful in its day because there was nothing else like it on TV at the time. People were used to shows like Dukes of Hazzard, CHiPS and Lou Grant. Or Magnum, PI or The Fall Guy. For what they were, they were all alright as crime drama entertainment. But Miami Vice broke the mould. It was like watching a 48-minute big screen movie every week. The way it was shot was just unheard of on TV.

Now, practically every show does that. Especially with the advancements in camera and recording technology, you can almost make any budget, run of the mill show look like a "big" movie. You've got your digital editing, you've got camera drones, you've got digital HD cameras, and all that...

So the question is going to be, how is a new "Miami Vice" going to steal their thunder. Miami Vice is still responsible for the way all those shows look nowadays, but that's kind of the point. In order to be yet again something new, something outrageous that hasn't been done before, the producers would have to come up with some groundbreaking innovations to TV drama once again. Or else, they will simply risk going unnoticed against today's competition. Given that even Miami itself has been the location for a number of other crime drama TV shows since then.

There aren't many (if any) shows out there about undercover cops in the world of vice, under deep cover. That's where Miami Vice can fit in.
But you're right, they can make it amazing, but it wouldn't be groundbreaking. Might just end up being generic. 

I'll try think of something groundbreaking, and I'll get back to you. I have a vision in mind, which I can't exactly explain in words. 

20 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I'm really not talking about a weekly MV series. A Miami Vice TV movie like the "Pilot - Brother's Keeper" is definitely possible.

D.J. & PMT would be committed only for a 2 hr. film & I'm sure all the actors including EJ Olmos would love to make some money & get some notoriety from it.

They can show scenes from the original series to refresh people's memories & instruct young people on the series. DJ & PMT are still young looking to advise & interact with a young crew with their sons.

This should have been done 5 yrs. ago.........but now may be the last chance to do it! ;(

I still think the miniseries format, like they did on Fargo, would be good for a reboot.  Maybe do ten episodes, and let it follow one main story arc. And then maybe come back the next year and tell a different story.

From what I've read about the production of the Fargo series, actors nowadays like that kind of format, because it gives them the chance to participate in a TV drama, often with high production values, without having to commit too much of their time to a project.

And it would also keep a new series "tight", in that there'd be no real danger of the show getting tired of itself again.

Maybe story arcs like "Calderone" or "Lombard" could be resurrected. Maybe their kids and grandkids are crime kingpins nowadays and have inherited their fathers' empires. There'd be plenty of stuff right there to build a ten-part miniseries around...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

• Administrators
16 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

I still think the miniseries format, like they did on Fargo, would be good for a reboot.  Maybe do ten episodes, and let it follow one main story arc. And then maybe come back the next year and tell a different story.

From what I've read about the production of the Fargo series, actors nowadays like that kind of format, because it gives them the chance to participate in a TV drama, often with high production values, without having to commit too much of their time to a project.

And it would also keep a new series "tight", in that there'd be no real danger of the show getting tired of itself again.

Maybe story arcs like "Calderone" or "Lombard" could be resurrected. Maybe their kids and grandkids are crime kingpins nowadays and have inherited their fathers' empires. There'd be plenty of stuff right there to build a ten-part miniseries around...

Yeah maybe, and instead of rushing a new case every week, they can develop the story/case over 10 - 12 episodes.

They can go deeper into the world of undercover cops making it more realistic overall, because cops are usually under with an organisation for months, and years even. 

Philip Michael Thomas used to say he would like to play in a reboot of Vice. I'll bet he still would, but I'm not sure about D.J.

The rest of the crew interact on Facebook & I think they would be interested. :thumbsup:

On 7/15/2016 at 2:51 PM, Tony D. said:

I'm really not talking about a weekly MV series. A Miami Vice TV movie like the "Pilot - Brother's Keeper" is definitely possible.

D.J. & PMT would be committed only for a 2 hr. film & I'm sure all the actors including EJ Olmos would love to make some money & get some notoriety from it.

They can show scenes from the original series to refresh people's memories & instruct young people on the series. DJ & PMT are still young looking to advise & interact with a young crew with their sons.

This should have been done 5 yrs. ago.........but now may be the last chance to do it! ;(

I agree this should have been done years ago - it must have been discussed , proposed even . :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

I agree this should have been done years ago - it must have been discussed , proposed even . :D

It was proposed & discussed, Matt5 by guess who?..........the fans here on miamiviceonline and on miamivice.org.

If they would only listen to the most loyal fans of Miami Vice! 

Am 16.7.2016 um 17:31 schrieb Tony D.:

Philip Michael Thomas used to say he would like to play in a reboot of Vice. I'll bet he still would, but I'm not sure about D.J.

Don Johnson was very reluctant for quite some time. He even said so in interviews. But lately, it seems more like he'd be on board if there was a reboot.

It can't happen without him (and of course Philip Michael Thomas). It'd be like Dallas without J.R. Ewing or Magnum without Tom Selleck.

A project like this, at least with Crockett and Tubbs as the main characters, would really have to get under way soon though. Or else, if they wait another five to ten years, the reboot will end up being about drug busts in old folks homes... :)

Crockett: "Ok everybody, it's going down... we're shaking down this grandpa for two kees of Valiums! The stuff's hidden in the cushions of his Davenport!" ;):)

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just read that article, I have a relative in Santa Barb/Monticeito -will ask if she see's DJ around town.

How exciting-maybe a re-boot.  Been hoping for a MagnumPI reboot too.