Lifeguard

It's certainly possible that DJ's personal life situation(s) were contributing to weight/ looks/ wardrobe for the show.  You have some personal knowledge and I don't.  However, I'm only taking the show and the character into consideration with my opinions on the "Season 5 look".

He has said he never drank during the years he was shooting Miami Vice.  True or not?  I don't know.  He and Melanie have both said he helped her to get into alcohol rehab and supported her emotionally during her rehab, but everyone knows he fell off the wagon in a very public and embarrassing way for sure in 1994 (and probably that was the culmination of stuff that had been ongoing for awhile) when he wrecked his car while driving under the influence with his son Jesse in the car.  He went to rehab then and at least one more time since then, maybe twice.  Still, alcoholism is a lifelong disease.  I do hope he's found a way to live a healthy life without alcohol.  He does seem to be very close to his family (wife, children, and ex-wife Melanie as well)--which I think if he was actively drinking would be less the case.  His wife Kelley must be a very strong person and I'm sure she put up with a lot in the early years of their marriage.

he looked like he might have been a little heavier in season 4 than 3. he's got his shirt off in Mirror Image and he's not fat by any means. I don't think his weight had anything to do with the wardrobe. Regardless of that they just rekindled their relationship as MV ended. They didn't break up until 1995 when he started drinking again.

Edited by AzVice

10 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

It's certainly possible that DJ's personal life situation(s) were contributing to weight/ looks/ wardrobe for the show.  You have some personal knowledge and I don't.  However, I'm only taking the show and the character into consideration with my opinions on the "Season 5 look".

He has said he never drank during the years he was shooting Miami Vice.  True or not?  I don't know.  He and Melanie have both said he helped her to get into alcohol rehab and supported her emotionally during her rehab, but everyone knows he fell off the wagon in a very public and embarrassing way for sure in 1994 (and probably that was the culmination of stuff that had been ongoing for awhile) when he wrecked his car while driving under the influence with his son Jesse in the car.  He went to rehab then and at least one more time since then, maybe twice.  Still, alcoholism is a lifelong disease.  I do hope he's found a way to live a healthy life without alcohol.  He does seem to be very close to his family (wife, children, and ex-wife Melanie as well)--which I think if he was actively drinking would be less the case.  His wife Kelley must be a very strong person and I'm sure she put up with a lot in the early years of their marriage.

Yeah I didn't remember him wrecking his car in '94.  But I do remember him starting to have problems after the show ended and speculation that he fell off the wagon.  Probably was a slow decline leading up to '94.  His weight gain in 4 and 5 may have been part of his remission, or it could just be a side effect of living large after making some big bucks after renegotiating his contract in season 3.  Not an unusual thing for actors who finally make it.  

actually there's some interview's on youtube from 1989 where he didn't look heavier at all. Also see the movie Paradise 1991. His hair is like in season 1 and he's totally lean.

Yes, I have seen those.  

During publicity interviews for Sweetheart's Dance, he said he gained weight on purpose to do the part of Wiley Boon.  Sweetheart's Dance was released in 1988 (Season 4 was broadcast in 1987-88).  It was my impression at the time through watching the show, that he carried a little extra weight during much of Season 4.  It might have been that his Crockett wardrobe in Season 4 made him look heavier than he was, and In Mirror Image he didn't look heavier at all.

In Season 5 he looks thinner and certainly in 1989-91 he looked great.  

Nothing to do with weight, but re the 1994 episode:  http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20108381,00.html

Great detail!  Wow, I didn't remember him wearing so many vests in Season 5.  He certainly did, though.

7 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Great detail!  Wow, I didn't remember him wearing so many vests in Season 5.  He certainly did, though.

Yeah, obviously after his mental breakdown and becoming Burnett, Sonny was now developing a third personality that was growing in his brain and after the events in Freefall would begin to complete take over his consciousness calling itself Nash Bridges and moving out to San Francisco to assemble a fake family of delusional people around himself and become an inspector.

• Like 1

I'm probably going to wait until I'm fully moved into my new house before I put together the next few summaries.  I will probably do one on sport coats that appear more than once in the season, and then one dedicated to the sport coats and blazers that just appear once.  After any input and observations people have to help flesh out which items were worn when, I'll probably just post a summary sheet for shirts, pants, sport coats, blazers, and jackets that can serve as a checklist for those looking to add items to their wardrobe to create the different looks.  I will probably take some time before I try doing another season because it is a quite a lot of time and effort.  I'll probably do either season 1 or 3 next.

Edited by Lifeguard
  • Like 1

Vests were quite fashionable in Autumn 1988 - 1989 so its good to see Sonny in them. I was never a huge fan of the Khaki pants he wore later in the Season - even in the "Bad Attitude" montage from the last episode , Freefall.

:D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Vests were quite fashionable in Autumn 1988 - 1989 so its good to see Sonny in them. I was never a huge fan of the Khaki pants he wore later in the Season - even in the "Bad Attitude" montage from the last episode , Freefall.

:D

I grew up in the '70s and '80s, and vests were rocking during the '70s, then disappeared into the '80s.  So I do dig a good vest.

The season was a little more conservative for Crockett.  The tee and henley colors were more muted.  Khakis and jeans appeared.  The wind breakers traded in for baseball jackets. It is also the season that you can wear in any decade and blend in, as it's pretty basic.  

Ok, decided to do one more before my move.  Since there were only two blazers worn this season, this one seems to deserve its own page:

Season%205%20Blazers_zpsehelqybi.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Finally moved into my new house.  Maybe in the next few days I can finally sit down and finish up 5th season with all his sport coats.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I did about half the 5th season sports coats that we see in multiple episodes about a week ago, and forgot to add them to the thread.  Need to find time to do the other half, then do a list of all the single appearance sport coats.

Season 5 Common Sport Coats01.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats02.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats03.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats04.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats05.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats06.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats07.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats08.jpg

Season 5 Common Sport Coats09.jpg

• Like 3

I am enjoying all these MV fashion pictures, Lifeguard. I'm sure everyone else is also enjoying them.

Thanks a million!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony D. said:

I am enjoying all these MV fashion pictures, Lifeguard. I'm sure everyone else is also enjoying them.

Thanks a million!  :thumbsup:

I agree - excellent 

Loved Crockett's Season 5 fashion :D

yes, great stuff. my favorite SC look ever is S5. It's so close to the one I had back then, hair included. it makes me willing to do a home rerun of the Season LoL!

• Like 1

Agree, you did a great job, Lifeguard!  A ton of work sifting through all the images and classifying each piece.