Lifeguard

I have spent the last month watching all of fifth season and taking notes and screen captures of all the outfits of Sonny Crockett, as the first step in my ongoing project to document all five seasons.  It was quite an ambitious task to complete, and I'm still working on analyzing all my notes.  So it will probably be a few months before I attempt another season, but I'm leaning toward either doing first or third season next.  I started with fifth season in fall 1988 to summer 1989, because that was my first year of college and Vice was quite popular on campus at that time with two episodes playing weekdays on USA and a third new one on Fridays on NBC.  It was the first year where I really tried to emulate Crockett's fashion sense off the current season, so I had the most experience documenting it and it seemed the best place for me to start.  I've organized the season by shooting order instead of order of airing, because the order is a bit of a mess at the start and end of the season.  I haven't including the Sonny Burnett arc fashion as there was a definite difference in the two characters.  I'm trying to remember how I converted pdf files to jpeg for posting, and my photo bucket is acting wonky.  So I will probably post my first few completed summaries later this week.

Crockett had a few standard items for the season:  

Ray Ban Wayfarer B&L5022 black with G15 lenses

Ebel 1911 Chronograph 38mm, automatic El Primero movement, in yellow gold with linked band

badge wallet with badge and ID 

blue nylon badge holder with badge

Smith & Wesson 645-interim with polished slide sides & early S&W 645 8rd magazines with metal follower and smooth metal base plate

Galco 250/260 holster with thin strap harness, custom mag case with A1412 cuff case and handcuffs

Smith & Wesson 6906-early with polished slide sides & standard 14rd magazine

Galco Ankle Glove AG426 with early calf strap (no logo)

tan leather/suede laceless brogues with thick rubber sole (with some exceptions, there is a sheet dedicated to shoes I will post soon)

I will try to convert my photo notes on shoes and jackets to jpeg and get them on Photobucket to share soon.  I'm working on photo summaries for vests, sport coats, and jacket-less outfits next.

Edited by Lifeguard
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Wow, Lifeguard.....that is some major project you are taking on !!!

I know, tell me about it.  Was way more involved than I ever expected.  Converted my pdfs to jpegs, but my Photobucket is goofy right now.  I may try logging into it on Chrome instead of Safari next to see if that works.

• Like 1

I'm still not sure how to post pictures, so I don't even try..........but I'll be keeping track of what you are posting. Thanks for your input.

5 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

I'm still not sure how to post pictures, so I don't even try..........but I'll be keeping track of what you are posting. Thanks for your input.

I use Photobucket.  The free account has a ton of capacity.  Once you upload the pics into your library, there's a button on the side to click for image address.  It automatically puts it on the clipboard on the computer, so you just have to past the address into the text.  Then when you post, the image appears with the text.  Pretty easy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Its great you are !!:D

Thanks.  Still having Photobucket issues with viewing my pics on my account.  Opening with Google Chrome didn't help.  I may have to try it on a different computer.  Got 3 guides finished and ready to update when I can access them.

Still got Photoshop issues, but I found a work around.  First up, season 5 shoes:

Season%205%20Footwear1_zps3osxo9oy.jpg

Season%205%20Footwear2_zps3hpjndgc.jpg

Edited by James
Fixed images.
  • Like 1

Either my computer is having problems or something went wrong with your uploads.  I clicked on each and an error came up.

6 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I don't know why it keeps dropping the URL tag when pasted in.  It shouldn't.  Seems to link at least to Photobucket now, and I can see my pics in Photobucket now.  But I can't explain why it will only let me type inside a quote in the texting box either?

• Administrators

You no longer need to use the IMG code link. Just copy the one which says "direct" link and the site embeds it automatically.

1 hour ago, James said:

You no longer need to use the IMG code link. Just copy the one which says "direct" link and the site embeds it automatically.

Ah thanks.  That explains it.  I was getting really frustrated with that.

Let's see it work now:

Season%205%20Footwear1_zps3osxo9oy.jpg

Season%205%20Footwear2_zps3hpjndgc.jpg

Wow!!!  The direct button turns the copied lint right into a pic in the text box.  That's helpful.

Ok, I'm organizing my research by the jackets worn.  There seemed to be more variety in jackets and sports coats, than in pants and shirts.  So the outfits are organized accordingly.  Again only Crockett outfits, not memory loss Burnett outfits, and the order of the episodes is according to shooting order which makes better sense both chronologically as well as for prop use.

Season%205%20Jackets1_zps1opv4iov.jpg

Season%205%20Jackets2_zpsdwkwoo5a.jpg

Season%205%20Jackets4_zpsazh1augo.jpg

Season%205%20Jackets5_zpsemcxzgho.jpg

Season%205%20Jackets3_zps6bqk4spg.jpg

What a great post - loved his Season 5 clothes and the jeans/ casual jacket look.

But I noticed he wore his Season 5 clothes more across different episodes  than in other seasons must have been budget restraints - perhaps?!:D

What time period was there between 4 and 5?

Fashion moved on I guess. Also, dare I say it, DJ had gained a few pounds..not many but enough to allow for the less fitted look. It also goes with the messy longer hair. I liked the look and still do now and was a refreshing change from the pastels

season 4 wrapped shooting the last week of march 1988. Season 5 started late in september due to a writer's strike, so six months.

as far as denim, well it was in style throughout the late 80s. it just doesn't look very much like crockett to me, although i mind the jacket less than the pants. At least the pants in that episode looked like something he'd wear.. The khaki pants also stand out. Also, not looking very stylish.  Long way from the Hugo Boss suits of two years earlier.

Edited by AzVice

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 4:30 PM, Lifeguard said:

I use Photobucket.  The free account has a ton of capacity.  Once you upload the pics into your library, there's a button on the side to click for image address.  It automatically puts it on the clipboard on the computer, so you just have to past the address into the text.  Then when you post, the image appears with the text.  Pretty easy.

Thank you for the lesson .....I'll try to do it when I get a chance.  :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, AzVice said:

season 4 wrapped shooting the last week of march 1988. Season 5 started late in september due to a writer's strike, so six months.

as far as denim, well it was in style throughout the late 80s. it just doesn't look very much like crockett to me, although i mind the jacket less than the pants. At least the pants in that episode looked like something he'd wear.. The khaki pants also stand out. Also, not looking very stylish.  Long way from the Hugo Boss suits of two years earlier.

Yeah, I wish they used the denim trucker jacket more.  I got one after seeing that episode and still have it today.  I never realized it was just in that one episode because it was one of his looks I emulated.  

The khaki pants had me scratching my head.  I thought maybe they were three different pants in khaki, taupe, and lt olive.  The lighting makes them look different in each scene.  But as I started comparing screen caps, I was pretty well convinced they were the same pants each time.  I'm still not sure if they are khaki or more olive at this point?

His lighter colored linen pants show up a lot, and I'm not sure on those either.  I'm leaning towards saying that they are actually two pairs, one in white and one in natural.  Because at times they look like both, but he wears them so much, they may two colors.

9 hours ago, AzVice said:

i wish there were a way to find out what they were thinking in wardrobe that year for Crockett

I'm not sure who the fashion person was for that season.  We know the people for seasons 1 thru 3, but I'm not sure who was responsible for the looks in 4 and 5.  Both seasons were very different fashion wise, so it may have been two different people.

4 hours ago, Chloe said:

(snipped) Also, dare I say it, DJ had gained a few pounds..not many but enough to allow for the less fitted look. It also goes with the messy longer hair. I liked the look and still do now and was a refreshing change from the pastels

I think he had gained weight before/during Season 4.  In re-watching some Season 5 episodes last summer, I felt like he had lost some of that weight in Season 5.

Honestly I never liked the sloppy messy (as it looked to me) look of Season 5--clothing or hair.  But again in viewing from a longer perspective I have decided the look fits the character disintegration Crockett experienced in that last season.  Not just the amnesia but all of the losses and the ultimate betrayal from the Feds who asked for his help.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

What a great post - loved his Season 5 clothes and the jeans/ casual jacket look.

But I noticed he wore his Season 5 clothes more across different episodes  than in other seasons must have been budget restraints - perhaps?!:D

Yeah, it was the season I emulated the most because I was a freshman in college and at the end of my growth spurt, so I was having to get all new clothes.  The colors are much more muted then they were in previous seasons.  The bright pastels and dark neons were absent.  His wardrobe was more distressed and washed out.  The repetition of clothes was one reason I started my research with season 5, it made it easier to document.  Budget was pretty tight on season 5.  The music cues were recycled, there was less original artist music, and there wasn't much effects and stunt wise.  Fewer paychecks to Don Johnson too, as he was in a lot fewer episodes beyond a a scene or two.  

4 hours ago, Chloe said:

What time period was there between 4 and 5?

Fashion moved on I guess. Also, dare I say it, DJ had gained a few pounds..not many but enough to allow for the less fitted look. It also goes with the messy longer hair. I liked the look and still do now and was a refreshing change from the pastels

Unfortunately those beautiful messy locks came off right after shooting Freefall for shooting Dead Bang (1989).  

10 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I think he had gained weight before/during Season 4.  In re-watching some Season 5 episodes last summer, I felt like he had lost some of that weight in Season 5.

Honestly I never liked the sloppy messy (as it looked to me) look of Season 5--clothing or hair.  But again in viewing from a longer perspective I have decided the look fits the character disintegration Crockett experienced in that last season.  Not just the amnesia but all of the losses and the ultimate betrayal from the Feds who asked for his help.  

In Don Johnson's personal life he was struggling with alcoholism in those years.  I remember him missing some scheduled appearances in those days.  And his friendship was strained with Kurt Russell with their speedboat racing team in the Offshore Race series, as I remember him missing quite a few races and Kurt taking over for him as pilot.  I had an office with Shaun Ryan's mother, and she met him during Nash Bridges and told me how much of a toll the alcoholism took on his body and face.  He remarried Melanie Griffith after 5th season, but it didn't last long and was divorced during Nash Bridges.  I know he's had some interesting financial adventures since then, but I don't know if he still struggles with addiction or not.

• Like 2