FOUND! Calderone's Demise Shirt!

daytona365

MY QUEST IS OVER!!! Here's Crockett's Hawaiian shirt he wore in the Calderone's Demise episode. I've been wanting to have this shirt since three decades and was actively chasing it for at least the last ten years. This was the only episode when Crockett wore Aloha shirts. He wore this shirt when he posed as 'Miller' on St. Andrews Island during the meeting with Calderone's middleman and the subsequent car chase at the end of which he 'parked' the car in the ocean. As I only recently discovered, the shirt was also worn by John Diehl in a publicity photo. Having been seen on two cast members makes this an even more rare find I guess. Not the usual Vice style but I'm very much looking forward to wearing it whenever vacationing in a tropical location or at barbecue parties...

DK_001b.jpg

CalderonesDemise054.png

CalderonesDemise056.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3

The colors are very different from a typical Hawaiian shirt. Cool, though!

Switek & Zito always wore those shirts.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

The colors are very different from a typical Hawaiian shirt. Cool, though!

Switek & Zito always wore those shirts.

Great shirts Tony D!!

6 hours ago, daytona365 said:

MY QUEST IS OVER!!! Here's Crockett's Hawaiian shirt he wore in the Calderone's Demise episode. I've been wanting to have this shirt since three decades and was actively chasing it for at least the last ten years. This was the only episode when Crockett wore Aloha shirts. He wore this shirt when he posed as 'Miller' on St. Andrews Island during the meeting with Calderone's middleman and the subsequent car chase at the end of which he 'parked' the car in the ocean. As I only recently discovered, the shirt was also worn by John Diehl in a publicity photo. Having been seen on two cast members makes this an even more rare find I guess. Not the usual Vice style but I'm very much looking forward to wearing it whenever vacationing in a tropical location or at barbecue parties...

DK_001b.jpg

CalderonesDemise056.png

So where did you finally locate it?  I can think of a few people on this forum that would offer a small fortune for it :). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mvnyc said:

So where did you finally locate it?  I can think of a few people on this forum that would offer a small fortune for it :). 

Tell me about it. I'm one of those few people myself ;-D ... It's a 1950's Duke Kahanamoku by Champion rayon shirt. I got mine from an online vintage Aloha shirts retailer . -  Good luck finding another one!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Crockettt said:

Did you buy this shirt on Ebay ?

no. I must have browsed through tens of thousands of shirts in Ebay over the years but eventually tracked it down at a vintage Aloha shirt retailer.

Duke Kahanamoku shirts by Cisco Casuals were made from late 1949 to 1962, so it was a vintage shirt already when used in Miami Vice. There are always a few shirts out of this clothing line available on Ebay, and maybe one day, another one of this particular design will show up. But again, it took me over a decade to find it, but maybe now that the brand is known, it might be a bit easier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, daytona365 said:

no. I must have browsed through tens of thousands of shirts in Ebay over the years but eventually tracked it down at a vintage Aloha shirt retailer.

Duke Kahanamoku shirts by Cisco Casuals were made from late 1949 to 1962, so it was a vintage shirt already when used in Miami Vice. There are always a few shirts out of this clothing line available on Ebay, and maybe one day, another one of this particular design will show up. But again, it took me over a decade to find it, but maybe now that the brand is known, it might be a bit easier.

So interesting ! and what a find ...:dance2:

Coop would love it.... But let me ask...is this the ORIGINAL one used by DJ or this is the #102.203,210th t-shirt made by the company which made the same one model DJ used?

15 hours ago, daytona365 said:

It's a 1950's Duke Kahanamoku by Champion rayon shirt. 

Makes me wonder if the Glen Frey "Smuggler's Blues" shirt is from the same designer/manufacturer?  Or maybe the wardrobe department back in 1984 simply hit some thrift shops and conjured up an inexpensive wardrobe before they had a huge budget for the "casual shirts."  What did you pay for it (if you don't mind me asking?).

On 4/12/2016 at 11:49 PM, Mr. Calderon said:

Coop would love it.... But let me ask...is this the ORIGINAL one used by DJ or this is the #102.203,210th t-shirt made by the company which made the same one model DJ used?

I don't know if it is the screen used one, there is no CoA from Universal whatsoever. But I would still say it's a very rare shirt, also as Tony D. wrote, a rather unusual design for a Hawaii shirt and the odds of still finding one of them are fairly low. No clue how many of them were ever made, but even back in the 1950's this seems to have been a more exclusive line and I'm sure production numbers were far from being in the millions.

I'm quite sure Coop would have found the screen used one, but being in good ol' Europe, there are some limitations.

How are things going with your tie-tracking btw. ?

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Makes me wonder if the Glen Frey "Smuggler's Blues" shirt is from the same designer/manufacturer?  Or maybe the wardrobe department back in 1984 simply hit some thrift shops and conjured up an inexpensive wardrobe before they had a huge budget for the "casual shirts."  What did you pay for it (if you don't mind me asking?).

I can very well imagine the thrift shop scenario and would continue that route still today to get a bargain, if that would be an option. Prices are steep these days for vintage Aloha shirts, shooting up to 1.500 $ and more. I did not spend as much but could have bought a Hugo Boss suit for the same money.

• 2 years later...
On 4/12/2016 at 12:52 AM, mvnyc said:

another one of these is currenly up for sale in Japan. And it's far more reasonably priced than mine was. Make sure it gets into the right hands!

https://agitovintage.thebase.in/items/12375419

b3db1d54ae4d8140dcb68e7ae547a635.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

wow. That's a nice shirt, although 200 bucks still sounds a bit pricey for a 65 year old shirt, given it's got a few little signs of wear.

considering that some people out there seem to be willing to pay 800-1.000 bucks for a pair of 30 year old pre-owned Persol Ratti 69218 shades, of wich many more seem to still exist, 200 for this super rare shirt IS a lot of money, but in comparison, looks like a real bargain...

Edited by daytona365