Episode #94 "Bad Timing"

Ferrariman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Great episode!  Just rewatched it yesterday!  Binged on the Burnett storyline yesterday, all the way from "Deliver Us From Evil" to "Bad Timing." :D

A lot of people don't care for this episode, but I really like it!  Very fun!  Some people think that it's unrealistic that Tubbs showed up and saved the day at the end... However, I think it was to show that Sonny and him were back in sync.  Being partners they have a special sort-of telepathic bond (or I think they do).

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I remember liking this one but then I liked "Glades"! I enjoyed an episode each season outside of the normal Vice environment. 6/10

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit conflicted with episode, because on one hand the show reflected the contrasting environments and personas of Crockett, but the crime plot was somewhat generic. 

What was refreshing here, was seeing Crockett outside of his Burnett cover (the ferrari, the St. Vitus, and the expensive clothes) by driving his motorcycle, wearing more casual and rougher clothes, and saw more of his country side.  The episode revealed more of his rougher upbringing (which contrasts to the glitzy and polished scenery of Miami) with his father's heavy drinking and on and off parenting (which seems to reflect in Crockett's personality somewhat), and with the psychiatrist's meeting, elucidated more on his struggle to identify himself in amidst of assuming different covers (which eeriely parallels the struggle of multiple personalities, thus explaining how it was so easy for him to assume and believe he was Burnett).  It was a good way in bringing some closure to the Sonny Burnett arc, while at the same time leaving some residual uncertainty about Crockett's state of mind if he should continue being an undercover cop (...which we'll eventually know the answer to that question. :p )  ...It could've brought some intrigue to the show if the OCB characters related to their undercover struggles more with each other, kind of how it was with Gina and Trudy back in "Give A Little, Take A Little".

As for the whole crime plot, meh...  I know they had to include something in order to have a plot, but it could of had some more creativity here.  Or maybe a plot which could have subtly revealed as to why Crockett preferred choosing the Vice department in Miami (a glitzy, fast-paced international city) instead of a more traditional cop/detective role in other departments or in small cities.  Though I think Caroline back in "Calderone's Return (Part 1)" hinted at this when she said it was the thrill and excitement of such high-stakes intensity that Crockett enjoyed so much, which made them split apart, but... it couldn't hurt if this thrill-seeking trait was looked into a bit further. **shrug**

Overall, Crockett's scenes were great, but the plot was not memorable...

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...
On 7/12/2015 at 4:38 AM, Vice Immersion said:

I'm a bit conflicted with episode, because on one hand the show reflected the contrasting environments and personas of Crockett, but the crime plot was somewhat generic. 

What was refreshing here, was seeing Crockett outside of his Burnett cover (the ferrari, the St. Vitus, and the expensive clothes) by driving his motorcycle, wearing more casual and rougher clothes, and saw more of his country side.  The episode revealed more of his rougher upbringing (which contrasts to the glitzy and polished scenery of Miami) with his father's heavy drinking and on and off parenting (which seems to reflect in Crockett's personality somewhat), and with the psychiatrist's meeting, elucidated more on his struggle to identify himself in amidst of assuming different covers (which eeriely parallels the struggle of multiple personalities, thus explaining how it was so easy for him to assume and believe he was Burnett).  It was a good way in bringing some closure to the Sonny Burnett arc, while at the same time leaving some residual uncertainty about Crockett's state of mind if he should continue being an undercover cop (...which we'll eventually know the answer to that question. :p )  ...It could've brought some intrigue to the show if the OCB characters related to their undercover struggles more with each other, kind of how it was with Gina and Trudy back in "Give A Little, Take A Little".

Totally agree with you here. After seeing Crockett go through the Burnett phase and then seeing the motor cycle and the rougher clothes, it definitely fit the mood. 

Crockett's actions in this episode are also interesting as he's approaching the burnt out phase, and we see him acting more hard boiled (stealing the car, trying to kill one of the bad guys in the water, etc). it sets up the question if he has already burned out at this point, and tired of being the good cop, while he's struggling with himself. 

It's not a perfect episode, but I thought it was pretty decent. 

• Like 4

On 7/1/2014 at 11:19 AM, Ingrid Indigo said:

Oh, and I've noticed something. Doc Jerry had the same shirt Zito had in "Made For Each Other".

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/screenshots/made25.jpg

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/screenshots/timing22.jpg

geez with all the clothes they went through that's what they still had in season 5 ?!

8 hours ago, AzVice said:

geez with all the clothes they went through that's what they still had in season 5 ?!

Yes strange but quite cool ! :D:D

• 11 months later...

Nothing special.

Apart from the motorcycle ride, scenery, final fight, the girl, and my soft spot for old country music I don't really like this one.

Not fond on the rest.

5/10

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, APalFromHawaii said:

Badass! The country music is amazing, the storyline is good. :thumbsup:

Pleased you like this episode - I do also 

Very good :hippie::dance2:

• 2 years later...

I just rewatched this one last night. Still enjoyable but I really despise Wilson and Cruz. Makes me think of Wilson Cruz from “My So-Called Life”. Haha... I love that show. But Wilson and Cruz were purely evil men.

Fashion note: I think it would have been cool to have Sonny wear cowboy boots with his jeans in Season 5. Would have looked better than the slip-on shoes (or laceless shoes) with that look.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 7/10/2013 at 8:20 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I found this review to be particularly accurate, so I decided to quote it. "Bad Timing" = Bad Episode!! :evil: This one was ridiculous from the start...and in reality there would be no way they would allow Crockett to ever return as a cop! To coin a very old, corny, but true statement...the dude flipped his lid! ;)The whole premise of this one is pathetic and the escaped convicts were totally over-the-top! I also found Tubbs "magically" showing up at the end to save Crockett to be completely unrealistic and ridiculous! :rolleyes:This one's just stupid, and pointless! I gave it a 4. :rain:

Maybe he had been following the bad guys?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Crockett was following them on Vicebook, which was a computer program Carson created for the team's OCB message board (yeah, I made that up, but it could happen:radio:).

Actually, I really like this episode: I think Cruz is a suitably nasty villain (geez, that guy is up for ANYTHING improper; Gina would tell him that the guy really needs some peace of mind), while Wilson is an able sidekick. Scotty though, he should've stuck with Miriam and her New Age music (I recommend John Tesh).

I liked Crockett's therapist (no, not like that: it's still the former Mrs. Thurmond or Becky or I stay home:-) too, as those brief scenes set the mood and the pace for the remainder of the episode. Is Crockett going to Bonkersville? Well, maybe he would've been better off with that option (I heard Bonkersville has a soft landing).

Jermaine Stewart, he may not have to take his clothes off to have a good time (and dance and party all night!) but he better get the heck out of that prison.

I like that exchange that Crockett had with the fisherman, and that entire choice of riding a motorcycle for his journey to get away. If it wasn't for that Bad Timing...

Melissa Leo as Kathleen, I thought her character was cool, and her demeanor allowed Crockett to open up about his daddy and when he learned to play snooker (I was sold on what he said about the light hitting the felt of the table and Hank Williams on the jukebox; personal stuff).

Cruz with his whole "Blondie" thing with Crockett, especially when he had Sonny tied up and he was hitting him. "Are you a good man, or a bad man?'. Well (Bad News) Cruz, let the viewers tell you that this guy's been through a lot, but thanks for helping Crockett settle in to being Crockett again.

"Thanks Scotty", Crockett says, then he decks Scotty, knocking him out. I love that. Poor, hapless Scotty.

Het Doc Jerry, never point a gun at someone unless you plan on using it. I've also heard it helps to have it loaded. Marc Macaulay as Doc Jerry, that's the most I ever heard him speak as a character he played. He was a pretty frequent guest star, always as a heavy.

Man, Wilson would not go down (unlike Frazier in 'Vote of confidence')!

Good to see Tubbs here and there throughout the episode. And thanks Stan, for the bio on the exploits of Cruz & Wilson.

Crockett has that Meatloaf recipe down pat, 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Stay awhile, blow off that hearing in Pompano; Kathleen's good company.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

which was a computer program Carson created for the team's OCB message board

Wasn't Carson a moon-lizard?! :D

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

Wasn't Carson a moon-lizard?! :D

We never saw the zipper: with no zip, we must acquit Carson, and keep the status sew, er, quo. He might've already installed the program before he left though, he seemed to be quite handy with the keyboard

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

We never saw the zipper: with no zip, we must acquit Carson, and keep the status sew, er, quo. He might've already installed the program before he left though, he seemed to be quite handy with the keyboard

...before he left back to Mars with Lou DeLong?! :D

2 minutes ago, sdiegolo78 said:

...before he left back to Mars with Lou DeLong?! :D

I'm not sure Carson left with Delong though (I think he was sleeping; maybe he wanted to stay on Earth, get some more college credits:clap:?), but I'm definitely sure Lou Delong himself took the next flight to Andromeda.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I'm definitely sure Lou Delong himself took the next flight to Andromeda.

...with Trudy?! :p

Just now, sdiegolo78 said:

...with Trudy?! :p

You know, I thought Carson had a thing for Trudy, but I don't think Carson was her kind of fella. Wasn't she still seeing that assistant coach for the Dolphins? I wonder if he knows about Trudy's newfound interest in houseboats and peanut butter though.

10 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

How or why would Tubbs be following these specific bad guys?? And even if so...how would it “magically” be ones that of course were somehow after Crockett? Uh huh...and Trudy & Izzy were secretly lovers, too. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

How or why would Tubbs be following these specific bad guys?? And even if so...how would it “magically” be ones that of course were somehow after Crockett? Uh huh...and Trudy & Izzy were secretly lovers, too. :p

That Tubbs was able to follow Crockett´s trail through the woods is much more realistic than many other details in this episode. I like the characters and the basic idea of this episode, but I strongly dislike it for the missing realism, especially in the area of physics/medicine and human behaviour. I always admired VICE for the realism in gunfights or fist fights due to police advisor Sergeant Bob (Hoelscher), but this episode really jumped the shark with this respect. They frequently smash fists, ghettoblasters and gun handles with full force in somebody´s face (or thick wooden bricks in somebody´s chest) and the other guy is still ready to fight and just has a bit of shrubby face with a small stain of blood, whereas in reality he would suffer a multiple trauma and be unconscious to say the least. That is still annoying, because it may inspire kids or others to do the same in street fights, believing in this fantasy physics and that kicking in somebody´s face with feet is no big deal.

Oh and for Trudy and Izzy: you never know :p

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-06 um 10.14.11.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Tom said:

That Tubbs was able to follow Crockett´s trail through the woods is much more realistic than many other details in this episode. I like the characters and the basic idea of this episode, but I strongly dislike it for the missing realism, especially in the area of physics/medicine and human behaviour. I always admired VICE for the realism in gunfights or fist fights due to police advisor Sergeant Bob (Hoelscher), but this episode really jumped the shark with this respect. They frequently smash fists, ghettoblasters and gun handles with full force in somebody´s face (or thick wooden bricks in somebody´s chest) and the other guy is still ready to fight and just has a bit of shrubby face with a small stain of blood, whereas in reality he would suffer a multiple trauma and be unconscious to say the least. That is still annoying, because it may inspire kids or others to do the same in street fights, believing in this fantasy physics and that kicking in somebody´s face with feet is no big deal.

Oh and for Trudy and Izzy: you never know :p

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-06 um 10.14.11.png

Lol! :) Trudy did have an “interesting” boyfriend or 2....so who knows? 

But, I don’t know...this whole episode was just silly and unrealistic to me, including Tubbs showing up like he did in the end. To me, it’s just a ‘filler’ to fill the gap till the end...and it shows. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This was pretty much my original review...not much has changed:

"Bad Timing"=‘Bad Episode’!! :evil: After the desperately needed superbness of “Heart of Night”...then they come up with this crap?? ?(

This one was ridiculous from the start...and again, after Crockett basically flipped-his-lid (to coin an old, but true phrase) with the whole Burnett-ridiculousness, in reality there would be no way they would ever allow Crockett to return as a cop or carry a weapon! :baby: 

The whole premise of this one is pathetic and the escaped convicts were moronic & totally over-the-top! I also found Tubbs "magically" showing up at the end to save Crockett to be completely unrealistic and ridiculous! :rolleyes: This one's just stupid, and a pointless final season filler! I originally gave it a 4, but even lowering it to a 3 would work. :rain:

• Like 1

There were two or three good scenes:

• Crockett asking Tubbs what kind of a person he was
  • Crockett talking to the shrink
  • Crockett waiting on the bridge for the road to open. His flashes of stuff he did as Burnett.

But overall, it was lazy writing and another wasted episode.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Bad Timing is one of the "filler" episodes; similar in nature to "Viking bikers", and I'd give it a 6/10.

I think it is watchable; just as much as Heart of night, but it is not great; and if you want to get to skip it...... you won't loose MUCH. Sure, there are some good aspects, like the visual aspects on the road, and the action at the end is ok, and the fact that we see Crockett riding a bike for the first time in the show. But other than that, it is bad.....

When I think about it, I think it would deserve a 5/10 rather than a 6/10.

If a friend of mine starts watching MV, but doesn't have much patience or just wants to see the better episodes, this is one I would tell him/her to skip, among others.

• Like 2