Episode #94 "Bad Timing"

Ferrariman

I never like crime stories featuring cud-chewing, beefy, sweaty uglies menacing everyone.  Gad, that scene with the shrieking wife and the shrieking guitar on the soundtrack!  This ain't why I like to watch Miami Vice.  And the soap opera of Sonny dealing with the Burnett arc.  Oi!  Gimmee a show with slick colors, shiny lighting, neon-studded night life, good music (sure, there's some Iggy Pop here, but not well used), engaging guest stars and cool attitudes. 

Offbeat can be good. (I very much like "Glades," for example.)  But this one stinks.  I only rewatched it as I'm in the midst of reviewing every episode for this forum.  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I actually liked this being centered on Sonny after the trauma and events from previous episodes. We see again IAD detective Mills who hates both C&T. It was nice to see Tubbs and Castillo backing up Sonny. In contrast with the Burnett arc episodes he wore a white suit. If you notice, the hearing chancellor seen during the intro was the same bearded actor playing the doctor checking on Tubbs in Mirror image (after the shooting with Crockett/Burnett).
The pop concert in the prison yard so 80s!
That Scotty guy seemed a bit retarded to me. No wonder he got an annoying bimbo wife. :)
Refreshing to see Sonny riding a bike. I wonder if he'd actually owned one in the first place. Loved the ending, especially Crockett drowning one of the perps who magically reappears again only to be shot by Tubbs....good they're back together now! And Sonny gets to relax a bit with the girl in the end after all it went down.
This episodes to me felt a bit like 'glades' (except for the swamps) and 'nobody lives forever' for the bad guy trio running amok and creating mayhem.
Just wonder how the OCB guys got to the crime scene after the local town cop was shot? Does Metro Dade have jurisdiction there too? It seemed Crockett traveled quite far out Miami for his 'vacation'....

Oh and the scene with the therapist reminded me of the 'dead bang', when Jerry Beck was having his session with the 'Woody Allen' lookalike shrink :). S5 Crockett and Jerry Beck are so similar DJ trademark characters in many ways!

A solid 7 for sure.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 1

I always think of this as a very “this is the way Don Johnson wants the show to go” episode—more rugged and introspective. 

That being said, it’s also very cheesy, and always reminds me of Walker Texas Ranger. :) 

Any episode that makes the intro sequence/MV Theme seem out of place is a red flag for the demise of the series that was to come, IMO. 

I still never skip it though. DJ on the Harley, saving a damsel in distress, and the Hank Williams song make it a good one for me. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

In the teaser, I find myself laughing hysterically at how the Internal Affairs officer runs out the door as he's issuing his verdict.  Does he have a plane to catch?

"You should submit yourself to a psychiatric examination."

badt1.png.592fbab4970443f52481c3c012318b83.png

"after which your status will be re-evaluated"

badt2.png.372c9553f8b1192516a11930b61a931f.png

"See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!"

badt3.png.1fd217d9c39f2bc59de87d969308c8f1.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Haha 3

vor 6 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

In the teaser, I find myself laughing hysterically at how the Internal Affairs officer runs out the door as he's issuing his verdict.  Does he have a plane to catch?

"You should submit yourself to a psychiatric examination."

badt1.png.592fbab4970443f52481c3c012318b83.png

"after which your status will be re-evaluated"

Maybe he was talking to himself ? :dance2:

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Maybe he was talking to himself ? :dance2:

Yeah, he does look a bit loony in those screen caps. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Not a review, but a critique of my copy that I ripped from the Mill Creek Entertainment set.  The aspect ratio is off.  With VLC video maximized, it takes up the entire screen, (instead of empty space on both sides like the rest of the episodes) and the aspect is clearly of, with things stretched out, and heads sometimes cut off.  I can un-maximize, but the video is still noticeably stretched.  I've been binge watching in order up until this point, and this is the first video problem I've had. 

My question for others - Did I get a lemon copy, or is this a known issue with the Mill Creek DVDs, or maybe all the available versions of this episode?

1 hour ago, dragon48 said:

Not a review, but a critique of my copy that I ripped from the Mill Creek Entertainment set.  The aspect ratio is off.  With VLC video maximized, it takes up the entire screen, (instead of empty space on both sides like the rest of the episodes) and the aspect is clearly of, with things stretched out, and heads sometimes cut off.  I can un-maximize, but the video is still noticeably stretched.  I've been binge watching in order up until this point, and this is the first video problem I've had. 

My question for others - Did I get a lemon copy, or is this a known issue with the Mill Creek DVDs, or maybe all the available versions of this episode?

My suggestion: skip this episode—it’s terrible. :p

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

My suggestion: skip this episode—it’s terrible. :p

Can't do - I'm binge watching in order.  If didn't skip "Missing Hours," Viking Bikers from Hell," and "The Cows of October," I can't, in good conscience, skip this. :) I thought it was average.  I gave it a 7.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dragon48 said:

I’ve not noticed any video or picture size problems on my Mill Creek Blu-ray set...but, I’m not a techie :p, and I’m not sure about their DVDs? Also, Mill Creek (or any company) would have used what Universal provided them with, so maybe there were issues of some kind with this episode & what they could do for it on their DVD release? 

I usually skip “Missing Hours” and “Miracle Man” when going through the show, lol. But, most of the rest of the episodes I love watching—or I make myself watch, including this one, lol.

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, dragon48 said:

Can't do - I'm binge watching in order.  If didn't skip "Missing Hours," Viking Bikers from Hell," and "The Cows of October," I can't, in good conscience, skip this. :) I thought it was average.  I gave it a 7.  

I also watch in order. I like the motorcycle and the Hank Williams song in this one. That’s about it. :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I also watch in order. I like the motorcycle and the Hank Williams song in this one. That’s about it. :) 

I usually watch in order too, although if you watch in airing order, “Freefall” wouldn’t be the last episode to watch...it’d be “Leap of Faith”! :p But, this episode is pretty weak, and kind of silly/unrealistic that they’d let Sonny return as a cop, carry a weapon, & continue on like nothing had happened. However, it’s still not as bad as “Missing”, “Viking”, “Cows”, “Showbiz” & “Miracle”! :sick:

But, I’ve thought about sometime “pretending” that they didn’t really just walk out at the end of “Freefall”, and decided to stay...watching “World of Trouble” as the finale, as I’ve always thought it was a better option for the end & more worthy of a 2hr episode.

• Like 1