PRINCE IS DEAD!

MTVcops

I tried not to beleve it but actually it's true... I'm sad. 2016 is a rubbish year... Bowie, Glenn Frey, and now Prince..;(

I was a student at Michigan State when he came to perform in 1982.  He was still a struggling artist.  He sang to 100 students and tickets were $5.00.  A reviewer in the student newspaper said he did not have talent and  would go no where.  How wrong he was! Then "Purple Rain" came out and he became a mega-star.  I enjoyed his music.  Sad day for the music world. 

• Like 1

I can't believe it... Only 57 years old. He did have some great songs. I especially like the "Party like it's 1999" song. R.I.P

I was dreamin' when I wrote this
Forgive me if it goes astray
But when I woke up this mornin'
Coulda sworn it was judgment day

The sky was all purple
There were people runnin' everywhere
Tryin' 2 run from the destruction
U know I didn't even care
'Cuz they say two thousand zero zero party over
Oops out of time
So tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999

Yeah, 1999 (1999)
Don'tcha wanna go (1999)
Don'tcha wanna go (1999)
We could all die any day (1999)
I don't wanna die
I'd rather dance

Edited by summer84

and with his stance on his material i can't even youtube his videos. even his Vice connection with Sheena Easton.  U Got the Look , in your Little Red Corvette and you made us Go Crazy

Edited by AzVice

18 minutes ago, mvnyc said:

He said it back in 1982 with this song...

Yes the song is from 1982 and it says (1999) in the lyrics.

I also think it's weird, that his videos can't be found on YouTube, but they are out there on other sites.

a real shame - Rip to a great artist , musician and producer .

I liked Clapton''s tribute before Prince  died when someone asked Clapton "what does it feel like to the be the best guitarist in the World?" and Clapton said "I don't know ask Prince!" 

• Like 1

I'm sorry to hear Prince has died. I'm not even familiar with his music. It took his death for me to Google "Purple Rain" etc. so I can listen.

I have to get more in touch with newer artists.

I watched some of the tributes to him on CNN & Fox last night but they showed pics of him playing without any sound except for their discussions.

13 hours ago, AzVice said:

maybe it's easier for artists to get them pulled from youtube?

I read that Prince removed all of his videos on YouTube back in 2007 and again in 2015. He hired a company to do it Web Sheriff.

And managed to remove his videos in the US on several sites, but not outside the US because of the different laws applying.

Usually if I can't find a music video on YouTube (like in this case with Prince) I just go to Yahoo Videos instead. Yahoo has videos from various sites including YouTube.

I still remember when they used his song for new years 98 really, party like its 1999, I wonder what got him, overworking? as its all still very vague

also on the same date, the wrestler Chyna and Guy Hamilton, the director of some of the most noted bond films and a few other greats passed all around the same time period.

and I all I can think is that better be one hell of a remake of Purple Rain their making up there.

Edited by Kavinsky

I just want to add my 2 cents..........

I've been seeing endless tributes to Prince for the past couple of days, and after hearing & seeing some of his performances.....he can't even begin to compare with Glenn Frey as far as music, lyrics and class.  

The filth that Prince did is disgusting & abominable!

I didn't see the same tributes to a truly excellent musician when Glenn Frey passed away.   Very Sad!

I'm not a fan of Prince the artist, but I do like some of his songs.

I'm surprised to hear about the filth you mention Tony D, but then again I'm more familiar with his music. :)

I liked some of his songs/music like the theme he wrote for the first Batman movie with Jack Nicholson.  Haven't heard that mentioned in any of the many tribute pieces.  Very talented guy.

Tony - Sure to many of us he looked/acted freaky but he was a showman and being outlandish is the way to promote yourself these days.  As a musician I would think you would appreciate his fight for the right for musicians to own their own creations.

• Like 5

Some of his music was good - I think we can all appreciate the artist who can compose/ produce / play / sing his own music - thats a real talent:dance2::dance2:

• Like 2

11 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Tony - Sure to many of us he looked/acted freaky but he was a showman and being outlandish is the way to promote yourself these days.  As a musician I would think you would appreciate his fight for the right for musicians to own their own creations.

I was never very familiar with much of Prince's output, but must agree that his efforts to help musicians own their own creations are admirable.  Also I think it's great that he never forgot his hometown of Minneapolis, where he indeed spent his whole life and made many contributions.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I just want to add my 2 cents..........

I've been seeing endless tributes to Prince for the past couple of days, and after hearing & seeing some of his performances.....he can't even begin to compare with Glenn Frey as far as music, lyrics and class.  

The filth that Prince did is disgusting & abominable!

I didn't see the same tributes to a truly excellent musician when Glenn Frey passed away.   Very Sad!

I too was disappointed about how little was publicized in the media about Glenn Frey as I thought he was highly influential, and classy as you said, in music though from more than a decade earlier than Prince. And it seems the media is captivated with everything Prince at the moment. I was never a fan of his music or him personally...have a look at http://www.amazon.com/Possessed-The-Rise-Fall-Prince/dp/0823077489 which tells his back story and how he apparently was not all that supportive of those around him, and was quite distant and eccentric. One reader review is particularly interesting as he claimed to know the artist's inner circle.

As to his lyrics, he was out there in his own world (as he was in interviews), and was one of the more sexually suggestive artists I've ever heard (excepting the noise referred to as Rap)... I found a source on that if you really want to read about some of them ( http://www.musictimes.com/articles/5944/20140506/10-of-princes-dirtiest-lyrics.htm) . Even the song Little Red Corvette is not about the obvious, namely the car. ;)   And who could forget his long battle with his record company where he started referring to himself as "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince". Apparently his wife at the time said he was also referring to himself in symbols.

But like him or dislike him, there is no denying he was very influential in the music world and, to my surprise, he wrote songs for other artists such as I Feel for You sung by Chaka Khan and influenced Stand Back as written by Stevie Nicks.  (http://www.inquisitr.com/3018782/10-songs-that-prince-wrote-for-other-artists-and-you-never-knew/) . And as others said here he was very supportive of his home town and his fans up north.

i think performers that are more flamboyant get more attention, plus Prince was  a solo artist so he get's all the credit, compared to Frey who was in a band.

Prince was pretty risque back in the 80s, but in the last couple decade's he seemed to tone it down, which often happens as performer's get older. 

Man that time period, it's funny to think Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson were all born within two months of each other in 1958. Music was kind of at  a low point at the beginning of the 80s. Then there was this big revolution that coincided with MTV. From 1983-1988 there was just so much good music. I can remember living in L.A. in the summer of 84. When Doves Cry , the video, was just on constantly.

4 hours ago, AzVice said:

i think performers that are more flamboyant get more attention, plus Prince was  a solo artist so he get's all the credit, compared to Frey who was in a band.

Prince was pretty risque back in the 80s, but in the last couple decade's he seemed to tone it down, which often happens as performer's get older. 

Man that time period, it's funny to think Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson were all born within two months of each other in 1958. Music was kind of at  a low point at the beginning of the 80s. Then there was this big revolution that coincided with MTV. From 1983-1988 there was just so much good music. I can remember living in L.A. in the summer of 84. When Doves Cry , the video, was just on constantly.

Our daughter was born in 1983, so we were involved in child rearing and I also played in a band playing weddings & dances. We did mostly standards...Sinatra, Neil Diamond, Beatles, Latin, etc.

My daughter told me, yesterday, that I missed a whole generation of music.......but actually I'm not too sorry I did. LOL

• Like 2

Being up-to-date with this/my generations "music" Tony D, I can easily say, you are not missing out anything. :)

Occasionally something pops up, but really no. The quality of past music, can't unfortunately be measured with todays music.  

• Like 2

Today i listen mostly to easy listening Sinatra era music. i like to relax. But when i do like something new it's when it sounds like something 80s-pop. music has sure gone downhill since then.

• Like 3