PRINCE IS DEAD!

MTVcops

This is truly a sad year for deaths of icons to Music!

Frey, Bowie, Reed and so many other lost to death........

I liked Prince very much especially in the Purple Rain days. I thought the movie was always iconic and I have a special edition copy of the movie.

I felt that back then music had it's barriers and MTV was brand new. Prince and Jackson were always trying to out-do each other but I felt Prince was miles ahead of Jackson (not to take anything away from Jackson) There was still a COLOUR BARRIER in music back in the seventies and early 80's and radio stations were still separating black and white music. Prince seemed to conquer that barrier and played a very eclectic form of Funk and Rock. Like Bowie, Prince made fashion statements all of his own. He made high heels cool for dudes! and only he could pull that off?!?!?

His music spoke of political awareness and of social conscience. Some songs were actually considered offensive such as "darling Nikki" but little did many know Prince was making a statement of acceptance.

Prince also spoke to the unjust Happenings of relationships between artists and record companies and Prince hated "THE MAN" or big business for unfair treatment. His opinion was printed clearly on his face when he penned "SLAVE" on his cheek. This was directed at his record company.

Why do all the great ones go early?

I inderstand that there is tons of recorded material in vaults that has been unreleased. I hope the family releases this precious material for us to savour.

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 4

The only Miami Vice connection I can think of:  Prince wrote and produced the song "The Glamorous Life" by Sheila E which is featured in the episode "The Home Invaders".

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 3

Im keeping the memory alive with this epic 1985 Purple Rain tour performance upload : ) My friends saw this concert so I uploaded it for them. The comments on this vid are great! (I made a spearate thread for the playlist of all 19 vids but in case no one saw them there here's Purple Rain because actually I hadn't seen this thread at first ; )  RIP O+>

Note: I deleted it just in case his copyright police were looking to make an example out of a successful vid. It was fun to share and it got more positive responses. I never felt so appreciated in my life by all the 3k + video comments ; )

Edited by Miami Vice 1984
  • Like 2

Greetings my friends! What a year this has been. I went to Atlanta, Georgia the weekend before last to see one of my favorite bands, Duran Duran, The show was incredible, but more on that in a moment. 

I had planned to go early, on Thursday night, as I was staying at The Georgian Terrace Hotel (beautiful historical spot, look it up, many of my favorite writers, actors and artists have have stayed there) which happens to be right across the street from The Fox Theater. Prince was playing at The Fox on Thursday, and I had a connection for a ticket, but the main mission of my weekend was the Duran Duran show on Friday. So I decided to relax and delay travel until Friday morning. The rest is history, I just missed seeing Prince, in his final performance before he passed away. 

Friday evening I met so many great people at Duran Duran pre show parties. (Miami Vice fans as well!!) Some had been to the Prince shows. I regretted missing it then. Keep in mind this was April 15th.The Duran Duran show was magical, I have seen them many times throughout the years, and trust me when I say they have just hit another peak in live performance. If you get a chance, don't pass it up. Nice Bowie tribute as well.  However, during the show, Simon LeBon got a bit serious onstage, just before he dedicated "Save A Prayer"...to Prince. I must admit, it was a bit solemn and almost eerie vibe, as though Prince had already passed away.  

The next day I was walking the streets of Atlanta on a perfect sunny breezy evening with a new found beautiful friend, art shopping, bar hopping, and we both conversed about that dedication from the night before..... "Does Simon know something that we don't?"  "Oh dear, Prince is a legend and will outlive us all". "He just had a flu scare, might take a couple weeks off."  

I don't suppose for a fleeting minute that everyone is a Prince, Bowie, Frey or Duran Duran fan, but for me these guys all defined many moments in my life and those around me. Such was so evident by the people I met just that weekend. Most people don't realize how talented Prince was. His guitar skills were out of this world.

So, I missed Prince by one night. And the way 2016 is going, I'm really happy I saw Duran Duran.

Rest in Peace, Prince Rogers Nelson (June 7, 1958 – April 21, 2016)

• Like 3

On 4/27/2016 at 1:39 AM, Miami Vice 1984 said:

Im keeping the memory alive with this epic 1985 Purple Rain tour performance upload : ) My friends saw this concert so I uploaded it for them. The comments on this vid are great! (I made a spearate thread for the playlist of all 19 vids but in case no one saw them there here's Purple Rain because actually I hadn't seen this thread at first ; )  RIP O+>

This video is magnificent! Thank you for sharing

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeepCover333 said:

This video is magnificent! Thank you for sharing

Really enjoyed this video ! Some of the guitar work is fantastic Here !:):)

• Like 2

Thanks MiamiVice84 for posting that video!

Wow.............................

I have never seen that version but it was very emotional when he opened and the crowd was singing "hoo ooh ooh who" It sent a chill down my spine and I actually shed a tear. It was very moving!

This is a great example of how good Prince was at the guitar. I play a little but claim NO fame or quality and I respect guitar players for their intricacy and capabilities. My favourites are Steve Hackett, Neil Schon, Peter Frampton, Brian May, Eddie VanHalen, Jeff Beck, Lou Reed and of course old "Slowhand" Himself - Clapton. I rate Prince right up there with these greats as he has great technique and ability as well.

Prince was also quite the quintessential musician as he played many instruments with expertise. I heard an interview with his neighbour in Toronto and it was stated that Prince loved to dabble on Piano, bass and even other string instruments like the violin. He was also quite good with wind instruments. It takes real talent to be able to play all of those and with efficiency!

He will be missed...I just hope the record company releases his unheard material.

• Like 2