The Nice Guys

Kavinsky

Written and directed by Shane Black, the writer of the original Lethal Weapon, of which I think I'm honestly going to go see lol and its set in driver parallel lines' time line of 1976 it seems lol 

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I like the seventies setting and Ryan looks like he's got some range here I don't think I've seen in other films. At the very least the soundtrack will be good.

1 hour ago, agent 47 said:

Looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. I like the seventies setting and Ryan looks like he's got some range here I don't think I've seen in other films. At the very least the soundtrack will be good.

Yeah he's actually got a social disorder apparently, the same one that gary newman has where he has trouble expressing emotions,

aspergs I think it is hence why he's always seemed rather stiff to me, and its one of the reasons why I never went to see that movie drive,

like he always struck me as being out of it, but not in the spiderman way like well this guy describes at 8:21 lol

and I've never liked that guy honestly either lol like when you can get unintentionally upstaged by Eric Foreman as a badass, yeah you need a new actor lol

but with Ryan it always kinda weirded me out and I guess maybe through a teaching coach or something he's learning to deal with it by going right through the fire, which is all the more props to him, like maybe he just needed to learn how to loosen up abit by being around a bunch of rude boys,

hence why he seems far more expressive that he ever did in that drive movie from what I saw of it.

as I think most of those kind of social diagnoses are kind of hot air anyways, and its really just a matter of not having enough experience with something. so you end up doing that snatch thing, where at the end they just freeze up, and then people go oh you must have such and so problem and issue, here take a pill or something. when the fact of the matter is you act how your trained, and if your not trained, well your automatically out of your element, and your comfort zone, and well of course your not going to be very expressive as your scared out of your wits while trying not to fall on your face basically, and it will be like that for a very long time till you do eventually get used to it.

I mean its called stage fright for a reason, and it can happen to anyone anywhere if the spotlight is put on them and they dont know how to act, both literally and figuratively.

and now he does as before he had that kind of out of his element look to him similar to Mr spiderman there. except he was all there and just not sure of how to act with the inexperience that comes with being a newcomer to the field.

hell for all we know Russel broke his programing abit lol as I know he's abit of a motorcycle rebel type and maybe he took him out drinking or something before the shoots  and maybe it was the directors idea to begin with lol as it is Shane "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" Black at the helm we're talking about here lol

Edited by Kavinsky

2 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Kavinsky great avatar, is it from Phil The Shill? :D

It sure loks like it ! The yellow chair I remember that !:fireworks::fireworks:

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 4:59 AM, Crockettt said:

Kavinsky great avatar, is it from Phil The Shill? :D

Yup, I used it as my first avatar on this website lol like its one of my favorite holy shit moments from the show, as I think I had skipped around when i first got into MV and it was my introduction to the bren ten, like holy jesus what is that?!

and sorry for the late reply, as I've been hopping around alot between things in my personal life.

Edited by Kavinsky

I also saw the trailer last week at the movies.

Looks HILARIOUS and can hardly wit for it's release. I love the 70's disco era with stupid cloths and high heeled sneekers. This trailer looks like it caught the moment well.

This Topic caught my eye because when I moved to Florida in 1997, I played guitar with a band called "Marty & the Nice Guys."  :)

• Administrators

I saw the trailer for this some months ago. Ryan Gosling with legendary Australian Russell Crowe. I'm really looking forward to this one!

On 5/16/2016 at 10:02 AM, Tony D. said:

This Topic caught my eye because when I moved to Florida in 1997, I played guitar with a band called "Marty & the Nice Guys."  :)

oh god, well check if your on the soundtrack I guess lol

and I'll probably go see it this monday night actually, when all the kids are gone, and heres to hoping it wont be like my last cinema outing really, but cinemafix and the cinemasnob say it does live up to expectations

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1

Saw the movie a few hours ago...Hilarious!!!!!

I love the theatre experience ... the smell of popcorn and the way the audience around you reacts. Lots of people were laughing, especially the older ones who lived in the disco era as they got the jokes!

Well done boys...good buddy movie although they were really not buddies. Plot was pretty good and the gags were funny. The dry humour really shines in Gosling.

On 5/23/2016 at 4:41 AM, Kavinsky said:

oh god, well check if your on the soundtrack I guess lol

and I'll probably go see it this monday night actually, when all the kids are gone, and heres to hoping it wont be like my last cinema outing really, but cinemafix and the cinemasnob say it does live up to expectations

Whenever I see a trailer come along for a new crime movie (especially '70's set ones) I always look forward to Brad Jones review of the movie. Our tastes are about the same and his reviews are usually lengthy and entertaining (plus he usually name drops an obscure film or two that winds up on my list of films to seek out). 

On 5/24/2016 at 11:33 PM, Stinger390X said:

Saw the movie a few hours ago...Hilarious!!!!!

I love the theatre experience ... the smell of popcorn and the way the audience around you reacts. Lots of people were laughing, especially the older ones who lived in the disco era as they got the jokes!

Well done boys...good buddy movie although they were really not buddies. Plot was pretty good and the gags were funny. The dry humour really shines in Gosling.

Glad to see this film getting a lot of positive reviews and even here on the site.

• 3 weeks later...

I did manage to finally see the movie the other day, it wasnt bad, although its kinda weird, the longer you sit on it the more you start to appreciate it, its kinda reminding me of chinatown in that regard.

where with that film you sat there for an hour going "what just happened?" after it was all over and then you start to pick up on all that's gone on and the implied evils of John Hudson's character. as if you dont do that, it all flies over your head.

and this film is kinda in the same way, as I was expecting abit more humor for it, as most of the humor is in the trailer, and I kinda think in a way the trailers ruined the movie, as it spoiled some if not all of the best jokes.

although one thing is still puzzling me, that 100,000 dollar thing, where the hell did that come from? did I miss something? a line of dialog of some sort, like why did she need to give him the 100K again?

and I will say this much, its evident that Shane Black must have played driver parallel lines at some point, just based on things like the temptations - papa was a rolling stone showing up in the intro, the blue faced man looking almost like TK and that font they used for the logo itself,

as I remember seeing all of that in that game, and I swear that old mercedes must be the same one they used in the hangover, although it wasnt quite all the way fixed up at the end, door ding on the right side,  and that girl slammed it into the driveway what.....about 3 times I think.

man that poor car. although it was funny to see Ryan Gosling wearing my old watch, of which I am still waiting on the repairman for -_-'

as I was holding off seeing it till that thing was recommissioned, sort of a proper way to recommission it, also I love the fact that their was a smokey and the bandit poster in the film. like I kinda wanted to see more of los angeles circa 1977 like that.

and in general all of the performances were solid, I dont think they're was a bad actor in the bunch, plus it was great fun to see Keith David in this.

plus its quite evident that Russel Crow is really a biker dude in real life, kinda like micky roarke really. almost the same kinda qualities about him. as he fit perfectly in that role and I think this film will age quiet well regardless of time.

as it hasnt been doing quite well at the box office, and I wonder if maybe this would have been suited better for a fall release schedule in addition to not spoiling most of the jokes in the trailer.

as I think its distinctly possible that just like the punisher this might get a second life on VHS

as I swear the last time they did something like that, it was with the star trek 3 trailer

with the death of the enterprise, although in the new one that thing was so reviled and hated that we wanted to see that thing die lol so with beyond its a plus, not a ruined surprise like this and that lol 

edit: I just headed over to the watchmakers and he was wearing the watch, said its running a touch fast, but it will be ready tomorrow lol go figure, two days after I see the film, but this is what he was wearing roughly in the film

jqhqbn.jpg

which was like Son of a... he's wearing my watch lol and this is what mine looks like rougly

Edited by Kavinsky
  • Like 1