Favorite Indiana Jones film

agent 47

I love the whole series, but I have to say that my favorite is the most recent addition to the series, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which was a difficult pick because Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had Sean Connery.(too bad he's retired! Think of his comeback in that role!)

Raiders of the Lost Ark, then Temple of Doom, then Last Crusade, then Crystal Skull. They seem to be getting worse, but the first one was very difficult to live up to.

Guest neworder

The addition of connery in the last crusade makes for very enjoyable watching, such a funny film. I love the first one too, 2nd a little weaker but still good, nice mine chase thingey and i havent seen the newest one yet.

Didn't like the second one (fell asleep? That little chinese kid was also annoying!) and the last one was a bit tooooooooooooo over the top with the aliens and little green men etc.The third one with Connery was ok too but not as much liked as the first one...Too much cgi as well in the last one. I am starting to get sick of special effects as it makes the story too unrealistic.The first one was rather entertaining and of course it was also sci-fi at it's best but at least it was based around the Germans and WWII etc so it hads a story line to follow.

• Administrators

I'd say the first was the best.Usually it is hard for a sequel to beat the original unless they have a much more developed and expanded story line that builds or has a very influential guest star character or celebrity in the sequels.Connery's acting almost equaled the first one in my opinion. He is one of the best actors out there and almost anything he does is a success.The second one was a little silly and goofy. The last one, I bought the DVD, but could not even watch the whole movie. It was too silly and far fetched for me to even finish it.Sometimes movies are taken to far with their sequels. Just to name a few:Rocky Rambo JawsTerminator. (T1 was great. T2 was even better than 1 but T3 was too much)There are many more to be sure.

Yes ... anything that is part 2 or 3 or 9 are too just too pretentious!It's difficult to carry a story line beyond the original.The one exception to that is probably the Mad Max trilogy. The first was good and a great cult film. The sequal, reluctantly, surpassed the original and became a classic worldwide!The third one, even with big name stars like Tina Turner, was just another sequal..........................................boring!Not too many sequals can make a mark, episode two or twenty! They are few and far between.Maybe "Indi" can go after dinosaur artifacts in the next one and we can call it "Jurrasic Jones"

• Administrators

...Maybe "Indi" can go after dinosaur artifacts in the next one and we can call it "Jurrasic Jones"

If there is a "next one" Indi will be the artifact they are trying to find!:)"When the horse is dead...get off."
  • Like 1

• 8 years later...

The Last Crusade for sure! I loved all 3 of the movies, notice I said 3? I don't like to count that awful mess that was Crystal Skull. It didn't happen.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Detective_Crockett said:

The Last Crusade for sure! I loved all 3 of the movies, notice I said 3? I don't like to count that awful mess that was Crystal Skull. It didn't happen.

Heh, well here's something that I'm sure you'll love to read about then: http://ew.com/article/2016/03/15/steven-spielberg-and-harrison-ford-announce-new-indiana-jones-movie/

On 23/03/2009 at 3:32 AM, agent 47 said:

I love the whole series, but I have to say that my favorite is the most recent addition to the series, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which was a difficult pick because Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade had Sean Connery.(too bad he's retired! Think of his comeback in that role!)

Please tell me you changed your mind 8 years later..;( Saw it again and it's BAD...man...and not the Michael Jackson Bad. I mean bad bad.

On 30/07/2017 at 5:44 PM, Detective_Crockett said:

Just like how there's only two Godfathers and 1 Matrix :thumbsup:

• Like 2

On 3/22/2009 at 11:32 PM, agent 47 said:

Oh, hey I forgot I had made an Indiana Jones thread. Think I'll pop in and see which film I picked as my favor.....

9 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Please tell me you changed your mind 8 years later..;( Saw it again and it's BAD...man...and not the Michael Jackson Bad. I mean bad bad.

Either I've REALLY changed over time in terms of movie tastes or at some point I have taken the place of an alternate timeline agent 47 and am just learning about his tastes in films. I cannot even remember liking that film at any point so I'm leaning towards the latter. 

My current opinions are that Raiders is the best of the series, Temple was good up until it leaves Shanghai then goes downhill after that and The Last Crusade is a decent follow-up to Raiders and had For Your Eyes Only villain Julian Glover playing the evil businessman plus of course Sean Connery. The fourth one is just forgettable outside of the fridge scene and is a wasted effort in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Well I guess the film was relatively new when you posted that so all's forgiven xD

Pretty much agree with everything.:thumbsup: That opening in Shanghai from Temple of Doom was superb,. It was cool to see Indy in the classic white dinner jacket and I even like the dance number, but once they get to India it devolves into a bunch of unfunny/racist gags and Willie is one of the most egregious characters to grace the silver screen. I remember watching it a while ago with someone who had never seen it before and I was embarrassed every time she was on screen and had to explain, "Yeah...I don't like this part"..:)

17 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Well I guess the film was relatively new when you posted that so all's forgiven xD

Pretty much agree with everything.:thumbsup: That opening in Shanghai from Temple of Doom was superb,. It was cool to see Indy in the classic white dinner jacket and I even like the dance number, but once they get to India it devolves into a bunch of unfunny/racist gags and Willie is one of the most egregious characters to grace the silver screen. I remember watching it a while ago with someone who had never seen it before and I was embarrassed every time she was on screen and had to explain, "Yeah...I don't like this part"..:)

I wouldn't call it racist,  remember these guys were an evil cult who wouldn't have followed Indian culture at all. I doubt LucasFilm would want to upset India, and think about it, Indy did save the village full of Indian kids :)

Good point, I was just thinking of the scene they are at the child prince's dinner and everyone is eating soup out of monkey skulls and stuff lol. There was a similar scene in Octopussy(Also in India) but that less cartoony/offensive. 

• Like 1