Vacation to Miami 2016

Dadrian

The things we do for coffee... :) 

Thanks for the kind words, CharlieGlide. 

Cool pic/story! Happy belated birthday!

• Like 2

What wonderful pics and a wonderful family !!

I remember too being at La Libertad and it being a bad area even though its just over the river - locals there asked me what I was doing in a neighborhood like this  - never a good sign !! :dance2:

19 hours ago, nofretz said:

The view from our balcony

Sunrise:

IMG_0746.png

By day:

IMG_0747.png

I see 5445 Collins Ave as being the Design Suite Castle Beach Condos looking good !

One major clue is the triangular window - the real Daytona has it, the replicas don't.  I think the door handles were another clue to look for.

I just remembered the other genuine Daytona appearance on Miami Vice:  Early in "Brother's Keeper" when Crockett sits and waits for Leon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, airtommy said:

One major clue is the triangular window - the real Daytona has it, the replicas don't.  I think the door handles were another clue to look for.

I just remembered the other genuine Daytona appearance on Miami Vice:  Early in "Brother's Keeper" when Crockett sits and waits for Leon.

Beautiful shots of Miami and surrounds, Dadrian.    Places I still need to get to.

A genuine Daytona has, among other things, side vent windows, hidden door handles (top of door), higher side marker lights, much narrower fender flares, a cleaner grill and some significant interior differences. Yes, the McB replicas had Alfa door handles. That early black Daytona stationary appearance was from a loaned car that apparently didn't last long when the crew scratched it and the owner demanded its return.

Thurmond's car was the genuine article ( I recall seeing shots of the engine compartment as well) and the one at the swap shop looks to be genuine ...I also see the rounded headlights visible in the closed position, as the light assembly rotated downward on these cars and it was visible between nose and bumper. Has the vented windows and similar body configuration. Can't say for sure and haven't seen any paperwork to know if it was used on the show, unless you did there Dadrian.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

Dadrian, your vacation Topic with pictures revived a lot of people's interest in watching the episodes again to see the locations that you photographed.

Thank you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

What wonderful pics and a wonderful family !!

I remember too being at La Libertad and it being a bad area even though its just over the river - locals there asked me what I was doing in a neighborhood like this  - never a good sign !! :dance2:

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Amazing water and skies !

4 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I see 5445 Collins Ave as being the Design Suite Castle Beach Condos looking good !

Thanks very much, Matt5!

We felt a little out of place at La Libertad for sure, but gee whiz...I'd do WAY worse for that coffee!

The ocean/beach was great! We were very fortunate to have weather like that for four straight days.

The condo looked nice from the outside, but it needed a bit of a renovation inside. Like with anything else, you get what you pay for (usually). The location was pretty handy for all the things we wanted to do, and the valet parking was included with the room, so that was nice for sure.

4 hours ago, airtommy said:

Good point on the windows. I'd forgotten that one. I, too, was thinking about this genuine Daytona from the pilot. I remember slow-mo-ing that pan a million times to verify it a few years back HAHA. Maybe that one ended up getting painted yellow? Maybe Leon egged it, and slung BBQ sauce all over it in a deleted scene, so it had to get new paint, and Crockett whined until Castillo got him a replica! :) 

Seriously, though--I wonder if it did get painted yellow and re-used later. Re-painted Ferraris are no strangers to Miami Vice. ;) 

1 hour ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Beautiful shots of Miami and surrounds, Dadrian.    Places I still need to get to.

A genuine Daytona has, among other things, side vent windows, hidden door handles (top of door), higher side marker lights, much narrower fender flares, a cleaner grill and some significant interior differences. Yes, the McB replicas had Alfa door handles. That early black Daytona stationary appearance was from a loaned car that apparently didn't last long when the crew scratched it and the owner demanded its return.

Thurmond's car was the genuine article ( I recall seeing shots of the engine compartment as well) and the one at the swap shop looks to be genuine ...I also see the rounded headlights visible in the closed position, as the light assembly rotated downward on these cars and it was visible between nose and bumper. Has the vented windows and similar body configuration. Can't say for sure and haven't seen any paperwork to know if it was used on the show, unless you did there Dadrian.

Thanks, Sonny-Burnett! Great info! Thanks for clearing all that up!

The only thing cited about this yellow one was that it was a 1971 Ferrari GTB(other letters/numbers?) Daytona Spyder used in 2 episodes of Miami Vice--no serial numbers or anecdotes. If its not a repainted version of the one from the pilot, maybe it made an appearance in another episode where that scene got cut. Maybe it was the scene with the "Lover" song by Roxy Music haha. The mysteries of MV...

54 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

Dadrian, your vacation Topic with pictures revived a lot of people's interest in watching the episodes again to see the locations that you photographed.

Thank you!

Hey, you're welcome! It was certainly my pleasure!

Edited by nofretz

16 hours ago, nofretz said:

• Thanks! I believe I used the "Transfer" filter from the iPhone photo editor on the hotel room water pics. Almost all of the others have the "Chrome" filter for the vibrant primary colors. "Mama don't take my iPhone 6, Mama don't take my iPhone 6, Mama don't take my iPhone 6 awayyyeeeeyyaaay" (anyone? 50 points)

Nobody?? :)

Okay, it's a reference to one my deserted island albums: "There Goes Ryhmin' Simon". Listen to the first track about memories and his favorite camera--even if you know it, it NEVER gets old:

• Like 1

Dude those are AWESOME pics!  I love that you did this.

I've been to Miami many times but never have done this kind of tour.  I LOVE the gas station/garage from 'Evan'.  The "bonding" of Crockett and Tubbs while they were sitting there was perhaps the best 3 or 4 minutes I've ever seen on TV.  It really moved me (I love Evan by the way:))

Those who are active on this site know that I've been looking for a perfect Miami Vice Daytona Spyder replica for the past 3 years. Unfortunately I have yet to find one (most are junk).  But if I ever do I will call you and perhaps we could redo your tour in the MV Daytona :) .

Beautiful family, too!

• Like 1

Wow! Thanks Mvice8489!! I've been lurking in your thread about the Daytona. I have a saved search on eBay for those. I've seen every one that's been offered there for years. Yes--a lot of junk!

I'm only looking for entertainment, though. I sincerely hope you find the Daytona of your dreams! 

I think I live not too far from Jurassic Narc! I need to get in touch with him too!

edit: ok so he sold it. I've seen the ad for the ppl he sold it to. Didn't realize it was his car! Cool!

Edited by nofretz

18 hours ago, nofretz said:

Okay, it's a reference to one my deserted island albums: "There Goes Ryhmin' Simon". Listen to the first track about memories and his favorite camera--even if you know it, it NEVER gets old:

I always liked this Paul Simon tune. I was into photography but mainly the song is catchy, happy  & I love the little guitar riff on the bass strings!  :radio:

You are outdoing yourself Dadrian, in this Topic!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, nofretz said:

Great song ! It's on his 2007 "Essential" release also incidentally !!

Edited by Matt5

23 hours ago, nofretz said:

Thanks very much, Matt5!

We felt a little out of place at La Libertad for sure, but gee whiz...I'd do WAY worse for that coffee!

The ocean/beach was great! We were very fortunate to have weather like that for four straight days.

The condo looked nice from the outside, but it needed a bit of a renovation inside. Like with anything else, you get what you pay for (usually). The location was pretty handy for all the things we wanted to do, and the valet parking was included with the room, so that was nice for sure.

Good point on the windows. I'd forgotten that one. I, too, was thinking about this genuine Daytona from the pilot. I remember slow-mo-ing that pan a million times to verify it a few years back HAHA. Maybe that one ended up getting painted yellow? Maybe Leon egged it, and slung BBQ sauce all over it in a deleted scene, so it had to get new paint, and Crockett whined until Castillo got him a replica! :) 

Seriously, though--I wonder if it did get painted yellow and re-used later. Re-painted Ferraris are no strangers to Miami Vice. ;) 

Thanks, Sonny-Burnett! Great info! Thanks for clearing all that up!

The only thing cited about this yellow one was that it was a 1971 Ferrari GTB(other letters/numbers?) Daytona Spyder used in 2 episodes of Miami Vice--no serial numbers or anecdotes. If its not a repainted version of the one from the pilot, maybe it made an appearance in another episode where that scene got cut. Maybe it was the scene with the "Lover" song by Roxy Music haha. The mysteries of MV...

Hey, you're welcome! It was certainly my pleasure!

Really wonderful ! Again such an interesting set of photos including other non -MV parts of your trip . The 71st photo is also very good Dadrian !!

:-)

• Like 1

Great pics!  The sunrise is absolutely gorgeous!

I did recognize the scene where you, your wife and son posed :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much, vicegirl85 and Mvice8489!

Great avatar, btw, vicegirl85! That's my favorite Crockett blazer. I got the Carrera shades--if I could just find that coat ;) 

Edited by nofretz

22 hours ago, nofretz said:

So we made this obvious, right? Just wanna be sure :)

image.png

IMG_0773.png

So well done Dadrian - its like 1984 all over again :D

DUDE!  i am so happy for you.  Those photos were amazing and I myself have visited several of those but not the amount you did.  It was amazing for me to see the house used in Yankee Dollar.  Wow, I could go on and on but im just speechless.  So glad you could make your dreams come true bud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Matt5 said:

The Yankee Dollar house looks very well preserved :dance2::dance2:

Yes! This (and the Testarossa) were my favorite MV moments of the trip! 

• 5 weeks later...
On May 14, 2016 at 4:25 PM, nofretz said:

Another shot from Biscayne Park. Check out the espadrillas my wife scored! Crockett would approve:

IMG_0778.png

After watching "Viking Bikers" last night (for the first time since our trip) I realized this photo was taken in almost the exact spot where Reb makes his impossible shot (with that gun) across the bay to the Atlantis Building at which my wife and sun are admiring. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...