The Video Game Thread

James

34 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

Agreed ... The only problem for me now is to find a PS5 ... ;(

Fortunately I got mine early and for only £400.00.

At the moment some are available from sellers on Amazon UK but I would not pay close to £1000 for one, that is silly money for a console.

Apparently here in the UK stores such as Argos, Game, HMV are going to restock some in the next few days. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

Cool news @RedDragon86 ... You had the opportunity to catch a PS5 before the "vanishing" of 'em.

In my case, I am in France so it is impossible to buy one in another country, the price would be too high.

I am looking every day for one :p ... Wish me luck :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kladdagh said:

Cool news @RedDragon86 ... You had the opportunity to catch a PS5 before the "vanishing" of 'em.

In my case, I am in France so it is impossible to buy one in another country, the price would be too high.

I am looking every day for one :p ... Wish me luck :)

Good luck! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I have to say selfishly, that is is nice to see electronics and tech giants like Sony or Apple, etc, suffer significantly in their plans.  Not suffer severely, because they are companies who have made great items for people.  And not suffer long-term, because they deserve to make money just like any business enterprise.  But they do deserve to suffer a bit because of their kind of callous "herding" of customers into whatever direction THEIR company wants to see us go in or wants to see profit them the most.

I respected Apple's attitude towards the ownership of their computer property even after a unit is sold to a customer.  But I really disliked "pushing" customers into accepting devices that no longer flexibly attach to the universal gear of their lives (a DVD drive, a headphone port, a phone-sync cable).  
Sony has been arrogantly guilty of the same "herding" and "pushing" (consoles without disc-drives, consoles without wired USB peripheral gear flexibility, consoles with almost zero sympathy for the game libraries that it too some of its fans DECADES to build on discs,... and callous discontinuing of a previous console-X in order to funnel sales toward the newest source of revenue-Y).  

I've liked Playstation franchise products, and I've LOVED the premiere PS3 console with all the hilarity and chaos that it caused for Sony while being the most democratic and user-minded console they ever will make.  But Sony needs rough lessons like this pandemic chip-shortage to remind them that the best business to consumers, is a business that keeps multiple options open for your customers, some older options right alongside your newer spiffier options.  A healthy supply of "older" models right alongside your "cutting-edge future" sales models.

I deliberately chose the digital model of PS5.

During the PS4 lifecycle I bought all my games digitally for a couple of reasons, one was that I had three systems spread around our house and could play the same copy on multiple machines at the same time. The connivence of not swapping discs, having everything installed one one big hard drive and also it's sometimes but not always it's cheaper if you buy credit off third party sites and redeem your wallet.

The backward compatibility of PS3 games not working on the PS4 and PS5 is irrelevant to me and it's a technical problem due to them not sharing the same hardware designer and architecture. Although that could be fixed with software emulation it doesn't bother me at all and I'd rather they release remasters of older games. I bought the Uncharted trilogy again on PS4 and upgraded Uncharted 4 & Lost Legacy for the PS5.

Gaming in general is in a dreadful state, acquisitions, monopolies, hardware availability, the production of games being too exclusive to produce, not that many titles come out anymore. 

Wow... I didn't know.  Is the situation that bad for gaming everywhere as a market?  I'm what I call a legacy player---I have a stack of (mostly disc) games across the entire PS1 - PS3 periods, that I take my slow, smiling time selecting out of the library and playing.  I don't mind leaving a game I purchased back in 2011 sitting in the library waiting for me to play it---I bought it because I sampled and researched it and I know I will love it, even if the multiplayer-mode server has long since closed down before I start playing it.  LOL, I still have a copy of SOCOM-1 and a copy of Shadow of the Collossus I haven't played yet.  All discs, all in mint but opened condition. 
So I stopped buying new games after GRID-2 came out.  My library is enough to keep me high for a several years, all at the pace I decide.  Having my pristine PS3 unit is the sole essential hallmark of my gaming future.  

:eek:And so I haven't kept track of gaming in the PS4 and PS5 game worlds.  Is it just console-gaming that has slumped, or is it electronic PC and Console gaming platforms everywhere that are suffering?

Edited by Augusta