BLUE WATERS HOTEL Brochure

Dadrian

I came across this old brochure on ebay for less than $10. It's original, and check out the year on the form--1951!

1%20pic.jpg

3%20rooms.jpg

4%20brand%20new%20form.jpg

2%20front%20back%20address.jpg

6%20rates.jpg

5%20form.jpg

Any of you location dudes are welcome to post this link in the appropriate threads.

Edited by nofretz
  • Like 7

Very nice!

"Free parking" reminds me of the time a few years ago when I was checking in at a hotel and I asked if parking was free.  The clerk laughed at me and said "In Miami?"  And this was way out in the suburbs, not in South Beach or Brickell.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nofretz said:

I came across this old brochure on ebay for less than $10. It's original, and check out the year on the form--1951!

1%20pic.jpg

3%20rooms.jpg

4%20brand%20new%20form.jpg

2%20front%20back%20address.jpg

6%20rates.jpg

5%20form.jpg

Any of you location dudes are welcome to post this link in the appropriate threads.

Really nice Dadrian !!

• Like 4

• Administrators

Wow, nice find! Most people would probably throw these things out when spring cleaning. So happy to see the seller recognising that it's a piece of history.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing this brochure with us, Dadrian.

Wow, those are great rates.............and air conditioned, too! ;) :D

38 minutes ago, Tony D. said:

.......and air conditioned, too! ;) :D

This was the deciding factor for Bandi

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Kind of a shame that the Blue Waters wasn't saved. It too had a nice art deco flair to it, probably especially in its heyday.

But as you can see in the episodes The Maze and French Twist, it was probably just too far gone by the mid-80s. All the hotels on Ocean Drive had seen their best days as well, for the time being anyway, but they weren't quite as run-down as the Blue Waters complex.

Out of curiosity - was the Blue Waters really inhabited by vagrants during its final days?

43 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

Out of curiosity - was the Blue Waters really inhabited by vagrants during its final days?

I've always wondered the same thing. Great minds! :) 

I'm sure there had to be a few, given the condition seen in MV. 

10 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

What a cool find!  Thanks for sharing, Dadrian!

Absolutely! You're welcome. I love stuff like this.

• 5 months later...

way cool.... 'brand new for your comfort and pleasure', cool, sleek graphic design, really classy! great, find, a true timepiece from an era when Miami had an entirely different ambience than today. So much of it has been sacrificed on the altar of profit to make way for some ugly monstrous tourist silos and condo towers...too bad.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 8/7/2016 at 7:12 PM, Daytona74 said:

Kind of a shame that the Blue Waters wasn't saved. It too had a nice art deco flair to it, probably especially in its heyday.

But as you can see in the episodes The Maze and French Twist, it was probably just too far gone by the mid-80s. All the hotels on Ocean Drive had seen their best days as well, for the time being anyway, but they weren't quite as run-down as the Blue Waters complex.

I found some old news articles once, saying something about The Blue Waters Hotel finally being closed by the city around 1982 or so...which was only about 2-3 years from when MV filmed in it for "The Maze". I think I've read something once too that stated the film crew tore the place up and made the interior much worse than it actually was for filming (punched holes in the walls, ripped up old plaster, added the graffiti, etc...)...to make it appear the hotel had been abandoned much longer than it actually had been. If this was true, I think the hotel had sadly been condemned by the city and was possibly already slated for tearing down at some point...so MV producers were given permission to do what they wanted for filming. I have no way of actually knowing that...it's just a theory. I love the old hotel and wish it could have been saved! It was torn down in 1987. ;(  I also don't know if any actual real life vagrants were found in the hotel...but I do know that when they filmed the beginning scenes of the episode "Smuggler's Blues" in the long abandoned Floridian Hotel...there were many homeless vagrants that had to be removed by real life police, and producers had to bring in professional fumigators...as the old hotel had an immense infestation of fleas!! :wuerg::eek:

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

Now that photobucket isn’t holding my photos hostage anymore, I’m bumping this for some of our newer members who might enjoy. 

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Now that photobucket isn’t holding my photos hostage anymore, I’m bumping this for some of our newer members who might enjoy. 

Always love stuff about the Blue Waters Hotel! :thumbsup: I have vintage postcards I’ve found on eBay, as well as pictures online. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This is great!

• Like 1

The new (tallest) building on the Blue Waters site Today looking south on Ocean Terrace, North Beach. Picture by me.

53AE50CD-1B89-44B3-8091-E208D9C6EB41.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

The new (tallest) building on the Blue Waters site Today looking south on Ocean Terrace, North Beach. Picture by me.

53AE50CD-1B89-44B3-8091-E208D9C6EB41.jpeg

Some more: 

BA91129E-7FEB-413B-8510-DF633916E94E.jpeg

F604F088-A22B-4FA7-ACBE-B872BC2B48A8.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

My Dad managed the Blue Waters in 1955-57 for Mrs Benz the owner and her other hotel the Queen Anne Lodge in Surf side in 1957. I'd love more history and photos.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

I was really interested to find this site.  I live in Australia and have retired to an apartment complex which was built 12 years ago.  All five buildings - Alden, Barclay, Coronet, Delano and Emphora were named by the builder after 1930s Art Deco buildings in Miami Beach South.  These apartments have some Art Deco features and I've been trying to find out a bit more of their history.  I've been able to track all the other buildings online - just not Emphora.  I think it may have been knocked down to be part of an Entertainment Centre in the area but I'm not sure.  Would love some details if anyone knows.  The reason I looked at this site is because my parents and sister and I used to stay at Blue Waters every second year in March for a holiday back in the 1960s and early 70s.  I remember Lottie Benz and she had a little dog but can't remember his name.  I do remember eating Delmonico Steak in the restaurant!  Any more memories would be lovely!

• Like 3