Miami Vice Inspired 3D Interior - Need Your Help

Mark Zubenko

Greetings fellow Miami Vice fans! :cool: 

Your expertise is needed)
I am trying to create a Miami Vice inspired interior of a police station.
It isn't going to be an exact replica, but I still want it to be authentic.
So if you have any knowledge regarding dimensions of doors, windows, blinds, etc. or know exact model and maker of props used to create original set, I would greatly appreciate it.
But you have to be as thorough as possible, there are many kinds of tanker desks for example, that vary in size greatly.
Also, if you have good quality shots of the interior from the show, please do share, it will help a lot.

Here's a link to the collection of shots that I gathered:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ardqavfztvr3z9h/AADje68wclJwTTUtks16JwRIa?dl=0

And here's what I'm working on looks like so far:

Screen_Shot00004.png

Screen_Shot00000.png

Screen_Shot00000_2.png

Thanks in advance!

Edited by SimplyMark
  • Like 7

First of all, I love that you're doing this!  This idea has been bandied about in the past but nothing ever happened.

This tour of the set might help you: http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/11852-michel-talbott-posted-a-tour-of-the-set-1986-on-his-facebook-account/

For the pilot episode they filmed OCB scenes in a different building, not in the studio.  You should disregard scenes from that episode.

I am able to see your Dropbox collection of screen caps, but the shots of what you're done so far are not visible to me.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:00 AM, airtommy said:

First of all, I love that you're doing this!  This idea has been bandied about in the past but nothing ever happened.

This tour of the set might help you: http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/11852-michel-talbott-posted-a-tour-of-the-set-1986-on-his-facebook-account/

For the pilot episode they filmed OCB scenes in a different building, not in the studio.  You should disregard scenes from that episode.

I am able to see your Dropbox collection of screen caps, but the shots of what you're done so far are not visible to me.

Thank you! I've fixed the links)

7 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

What a cool project!

Appreciated)

6 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Good luck with your project, SimplyMark! Don't forget Crockett's little helicopter on the desk.

Hahah, thanks!)

2 hours ago, nofretz said:

Are you gonna make a Minecraft mod? :)

I'm sure my son would love that!

Actually I do have a very strong desire to make a game, but let's take it one step at a time) :p

Edited by SimplyMark

SimplyMark: I would look at some American DIY construction books, as those will have the standard American sizes for doors, windows, etc.

My $0.02 USD

1 hour ago, Mister Roman said:

SimplyMark: I would look at some American DIY construction books, as those will have the standard American sizes for doors, windows, etc.

My $0.02 USD

Thank you, that was my first thought as well, and I've done quite a bit of research online, but it just so happens that there isn't one universal standard. For example glass blocks come in many different shapes, I think that 6x6x4 were used. Most tanker desks I could find online are 30" deep, but I'm almost certain that the ones used on the set are larger. So the goal is to try and figure those things out. Ideally I was hoping to maybe even reach out to someone who had a hand in creating the set, but any help is appreciated. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

Actually I do have a very strong desire to make a game, but let's take it one step at a time) 

:):):) 

We see quite a bit of the OCB in "Missing Hours", including a rare shot of someone getting a drink from the refridgerator.

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

We see quite a bit of the OCB in "Missing Hours", including a rare shot of someone getting a drink from the refridgerator.

Thanks, I'll try to check it out, the bad news is that I don't even have any access to a decent quality dvd(( 

• 1 year later...
On June 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM, SimplyMark said:

Thanks, I'll try to check it out, the bad news is that I don't even have any access to a decent quality dvd(( 

Have you tried watching on Hulu?

We get a unique look at the OCB during the opening credits of God's Work.  I thought there was only a refrigerator over in the corner, but it's an actual kitchen with a sink and stove.    Also, it has a door leading to the back hallway which I had never noticed.  And there's a payphone!  Why would anybody ever use that?

Gina & Rico walk from the hallway into the kitchen and then into the main OCB office.

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 6.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

Wow! Nice and original idea SimplyMark!!! This 3D design you did brought some good school memories to me. I remember doing the same thing for a school project but I used an online program called ''floorplanner''.

Are you an architect? Or you're just doing it because of an interest? That's a really great recreation you got there!

Also, I think you could get some clues from the police station shown in the first Terminator film, same year, same style...

Whoa, I totally forgot about this thread and came back surprised to see nice comments!

Firstly this project is still alive and I keep coming back to it from time to time.

I studied the set meticulously watching the new blu-ray release and found out that it went through a big overhaul between season 2 and 3, so I had to take a few steps back and some choices still need to be made, but I'll get back to it when I'm ready.

3 hours ago, Voodoo Vice Dealer said:

Wow! Nice and original idea SimplyMark!!! This 3D design you did brought some good school memories to me. I remember doing the same thing for a school project but I used an online program called ''floorplanner''.

Are you an architect? Or you're just doing it because of an interest? That's a really great recreation you got there!

Also, I think you could get some clues from the police station shown in the first Terminator film, same year, same style...

I'm not an architect, just a fan of the era, place and style) Funny you mention the Terminator PD, because that's exactly what I thought of myself  :)

Let me dig up some old shots of the HQ and also show you what I'm focused on In the meantime, which is the Terminal Island.

Vice HQ  1.jpg

Vice HQ 5.png

Capture.JPG

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, SimplyMark said:

I studied the set meticulously watching the new blu-ray release and found out that it went through a big overhaul between season 2 and 3

Fascinating, I never noticed!  Are there certain episodes that are best to look at?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Fascinating, I never noticed!  Are there certain episodes that are best to look at?

Yes, many of the walls got extended quite noticeably, I'm guessing because it was a little too cramped in there for a comfortable filming. 

It's all a bit of a blur in my head :)  But I do remember one funny thing, you can see that the ceiling of briefing room is missing during some episodes)

12 Down For The Count - Part I.mkv_snapshot_12.59_[2017.02.24_22.17.19].jpg

• Like 4

On 26/06/2016 at 9:41 PM, SimplyMark said:

Greetings fellow Miami Vice fans! :cool: 

Your expertise is needed)
I am trying to create a Miami Vice inspired interior of a police station.
It isn't going to be an exact replica, but I still want it to be authentic.
So if you have any knowledge regarding dimensions of doors, windows, blinds, etc. or know exact model and maker of props used to create original set, I would greatly appreciate it.
But you have to be as thorough as possible, there are many kinds of tanker desks for example, that vary in size greatly.
Also, if you have good quality shots of the interior from the show, please do share, it will help a lot.

Here's a link to the collection of shots that I gathered:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ardqavfztvr3z9h/AADje68wclJwTTUtks16JwRIa?dl=0

And here's what I'm working on looks like so far:

Screen_Shot00004.png

Screen_Shot00000.png

Screen_Shot00000_2.png

Thanks in advance!

Very interesting thankyou for posting