Miami Vice Inspired 3D Interior - Need Your Help

Mark Zubenko

1 hour ago, mvnyc said:

Don't forget about a couch in the Lieutenant's office to sleep on :)

Ah yes! I have been trying to track down the model and maker of that thing to get some dimensions to no avail. It would be of great help, especially to estimate interior dimensions more accurately. 

I've built almost everything on the assumption that the glass blocks are 6''x 6'', that was the only size that made sense if you assume that "Crockett and Tubbs" are 178cm or 5'10'' if I'm not mistaken.

Another thing I've been trying really hard to find is dimensions of those old Fedders air conditioners, which you can spot installed in three windows. I even tried to contact a guy on YouTube that repairs those vintage AC's, but never heard back.

So, if anyone has insight of some prop dimension that could be useful to me please share it, thank you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimplyMark said:

Ah yes! I have been trying to track down the model and maker of that thing to get some dimensions to no avail. It would be of great help, especially to estimate interior dimensions more accurately. 

I've built almost everything on the assumption that the glass blocks are 6''x 6'', that was the only size that made sense if you assume that "Crockett and Tubbs" are 178cm or 5'10'' if I'm not mistaken.

Another thing I've been trying really hard to find is dimensions of those old Fedders air conditioners, which you can spot installed in three windows. I even tried to contact a guy on YouTube that repairs those vintage AC's, but never heard back.

So, if anyone has insight of some prop dimension that could be useful to me please share it, thank you!

One episode that comes to mind where he does this is "Out Where The Buses Don't Run", perhaps you can estimate it from there. 

Edited by mvnyc

Castillo's office desk changes it's style over the years, as does his chair (slightly):

Related image

Indianwarstitle

A glimpse of the couch:

castillo's office

Edited by mvnyc
  • Like 1

Is the couch always brown? I seem to remember it black sometimes. I could be wrong. Maybe it just looks black in the lights-out scenes. 

Edited by Dadrian

1 hour ago, mvnyc said:

Castillo's office desk changes it's style over the years, as does his chair (slightly):

I personally prefer the wooden desk, makes the office feel a bit more cozy.

27 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Is the couch always brown? I seem to remember it black sometimes. I could be wrong. Maybe it just looks black in the lights-out scenes. 

It definitely changed it's color from brown to black, which made me think that it was two different couches and they were mass produced. I've also seen someone else try to id them without any luck unfortunately.

Edited by SimplyMark

I found one that *to me* looks similar to the black one on Amazon:

Of course I think the Vice couch is a bit more battered... Dimensions given:  72.5 x 31.5 x 29.5 inches

black_couch.jpg

Edited by vicegirl85
  • Like 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

Whoa, I totally forgot about this thread and came back surprised to see nice comments!

Firstly this project is still alive and I keep coming back to it from time to time.

I studied the set meticulously watching the new blu-ray release and found out that it went through a big overhaul between season 2 and 3, so I had to take a few steps back and some choices still need to be made, but I'll get back to it when I'm ready.

I'm not an architect, just a fan of the era, place and style) Funny you mention the Terminator PD, because that's exactly what I thought of myself  :)

Let me dig up some old shots of the HQ and also show you what I'm focused on In the meantime, which is the Terminal Island.

Vice HQ  1.jpg

Vice HQ 5.png

Capture.JPG

Wow this is great! You're a good modeller. What software are you using to model all of this?

I'd love to stick the OCB into Unreal Engine 4 and make a first person/VR experience out of it. 

Guys, I don't know how about you, but this is just awesome!!! :D:D:D 

You could also check the Third Season episode ''Stone's War'', I guess there's some type of Commodore 64 being used by Tubbs and other furniture as well. Also, you can get some clues about the exterior of the OCB when Crockett sees his 'Testosterone' :) 

20 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

It definitely changed it's color from brown to black, which made me think that it was two different couches and they were mass produced. I've also seen someone else try to id them without any luck unfortunately.

Yup, looks like they changed it out in Season Two

Edited by mvnyc

The true Vicer already owns this couch and sleeps in it one night a week to keep himself from getting soft.   :)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, airtommy said:

S3 The Savage

savagecouch.png

Great shot of Castillo's office and, of course, his couch.  I guess I kind of sidetracked this thread, sorry SimplyMark.

On 7/13/2017 at 8:39 AM, James said:

Wow this is great! You're a good modeller. What software are you using to model all of this?

I'd love to stick the OCB into Unreal Engine 4 and make a first person/VR experience out of it. 

Y'all are too kind)

All of this in fact IS made in UE4, using just the basic built in geometry tool which is an absolute pain to use!

Real models, textures etc. will come later.

16 hours ago, Voodoo Vice Dealer said:

Also, you can get some clues about the exterior of the OCB when Crockett sees his 'Testosterone' 

I'm actually planning to put my own spin on the exterior)

BTW, the whole layout is very unusual, and sometimes doesn't even make much sense. It's quite a challenge to create a good looking building that this office could be a part of.

10 hours ago, airtommy said:

S3 The Savage

savagecouch.png

9 hours ago, mvnyc said:

Great shot of Castillo's office and, of course, his couch.  I guess I kind of sidetracked this thread, sorry SimplyMark.

Yes! Nice shot indeed, I also made one once everyone left. And I'll post another good shot from "El Viejo".

My collection must have about a couple hundred shots in total at this point, but it will grow.

It's all good! Glad this got so many people excited)

15 Duty and Honor.mkv_snapshot_34.33_[2017.02.24_19.56.59].jpg

7 El Viejo.mkv_snapshot_22.22_[2017.02.26_01.05.18].jpg

• Like 7

• Administrators
17 hours ago, SimplyMark said:

Y'all are too kind)

All of this in fact IS made in UE4, using just the basic built in geometry tool which is an absolute pain to use!

Real models, textures etc. will come later.

Oh no kidding? Yeah, I've experimented with that also, tried to recreate my own version of the Ocean View hotel from Vice City last year. Learnt a fair bit with materials,  neon lighting, and a radio which actually has sound coming out of it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, James said:

Oh no kidding? Yeah, I've experimented with that also, tried to recreate my own version of the Ocean View hotel from Vice City last year. Learnt a fair bit with materials,  neon lighting, and a radio which actually has sound coming out of it.

Cool! :cool: I've seen a fair bit of attempts to remake Vice City throughout the years) Too bad they never see the light of day.

I believe that creating an original IP will have a higher chance of success. That's exactly what I've been working on my own for some time now. 

And hopefully I can start spreading the word by the end of this year to get some hands on deck.

• 1 year later...
On 7/12/2017 at 1:23 PM, mvnyc said:

Related image

Indianwarstitle

A glimpse of the couch:

castillo's office

Looks like all they did was sand and paint the desk 2 colors.

• Like 2