Web Site Offline Today

timm525

• Administrators

Team, you may have noticed our site was off line today. This occurrence was due to an over usage of allowable resources for the plan we have purchased.

I spoke with our hosting site and enabled some settings that should help to avoid the over usage issue again. Our other option is buying the next higher up plan but that is a jump of about $50.00 a month!!!! :thumbsdown:

We will have to see how this goes and play it month to month as to the usage we use.

Thanks for all your support. If it weren't for you guys and girls, this message about usage wouldn't need to be written.

• Like 5

I was shocked to see that today.

The host is one I know well, back when I was developing web apps and sites freelance that was the place I used the most. 

I noticed their quality decrease over time, hope they have turned it around since last time I used their servers. 

• Administrators

Well that worked well. Half and hour and we got shut down again. I called and worked with another rep that got us back on line and opened up a support ticket for them to investigate why this is happening.

Sorry folks, I'll report back what they say.

• Administrators

$50 is a lot. I've seen unlimited hosting MUCH cheaper. Maybe we should consider shopping around and moving the site elsewhere if there isn't a solution. 

• Administrators
10 minutes ago, James said:

$50 is a lot. I've seen unlimited hosting MUCH cheaper. Maybe we should consider shopping around and moving the site elsewhere if there isn't a solution. 

You've got that right brother! We've been with them for about 7 months now. I'd like to give them some opportunity to come through before we jump ship but I'm not going to pay an additional 50 bucks a month to stay with them. We will be changing hosting companies before that happens as that is just not in the budget at this time.

We shall see what happens.

I was ready to shut down my computer but decided to try the site once more. Good thing I did! I got right on & saw it was Nofretz, birthday.

Glad I was able to honor his day!  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I concur with James. I recall all their plans were unlimited a few years back, one large site I built for a client was getting some substantial traffic (number one on Google search results for its niche - the thing became the number one site for it) and never an issue with their basic plan.

But then again, I literally handcoded the thing on a text editor - all the markup, and it validated W3C too - using no CMS or anything else just FTP'd files right up into directories, compressed the CSS and XHTML files themselves, used parallel loading for the CSS, and optimized all the images for minimal file size. The thing was light and screaming fast. 

Now, I honestly doubt I could be of much help to the admins in the matter, however, I am more than willing to so feel free to PM me about it anytime. 

2 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I was ready to shut down my computer but decided to try the site once more. Good thing I did! I got right on & saw it was Nofretz, birthday.

Glad I was able to honor his day!  :thumbsup:

You're too kind, Tony. I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

• Administrators
5 hours ago, timm525 said:

You've got that right brother! We've been with them for about 7 months now. I'd like to give them some opportunity to come through before we jump ship but I'm not going to pay an additional 50 bucks a month to stay with them. We will be changing hosting companies before that happens as that is just not in the budget at this time.

We shall see what happens.

Well, if you need to - Have a look on 1and1.com. They're a good price, a professional company, and highly reliable, I used them at one point back in 2010. I think their traffic limits are unlimited.

Hostgator is another provider which comes to mind with unlimited traffic. I think they're rated higher than 1and1.

I think shared hosting should be fine, I have a website which gets double the amount of page views this one gets and I've never had a problem with max resources. So it shouldn't be necessary to get dedicated hosting (if that's what they try to suck you into buying). I'm currently using eHost for my website of Formula 1 videos, but they're looking to sell their business, so maybe go with a stable host such as Hostgator or 1and1.

Siteground are just greedy, I was actually surprised that you picked them out of all providers. :p I shop around, and never pay more than $5-6 a month.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Sorry gang. We hit the limit again and I'm being told by tech support it is due to "robots crawl rate" Had a real hard time understanding the guy on the phone. Sounded like he was in India. He did something on his end and we are back on line. For how long, we shall see.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, timm525 said:

Sorry gang. We hit the limit again and I'm being told by tech support it is due to "robots crawl rate" Had a real hard time understanding the guy on the phone. Sounded like he was in India. He did something on his end and we are back on line. For how long, we shall see.

Thanks again for getting it sorted out. Last time I spoke with Siteground support, years ago, they were Eastern European people, spoke flawless English, super competent, and mega cool. 

• Administrators

OK folks, the bots got us again. We are back on line and I don't know for how long except that the first of every month the number of executions on our cpu restarts. We are limited to 800,000 per month on our current plan. I'm being told the bots are coming from China and they are the cause of the over usage. I've asked them to block the whole country of China if that's what it takes to make this problem go away. They are looking into that. I don't think we have any members on here that are in China but if we do, unfortunately they may get blocked out. For this I'm sorry, but I have to keep our board up and running.

More updates to follow as I learn more.

As always, I thank everyone for their support and patience during this time.

Thank you,

Tim

• Like 3

I'm not trying to 'beat a dead horse' but I must make something clear, since Timm525 misunderstood my intention in the closed Topic: Site Unavailable, which I started.

I was reading the Topic, "Website Offline"  not this Topic, which I never noticed. That's the Topic where I commented on July 9 about the issue of people's posts coming out like vertical lines. Concerned about all the times the site was off line, I started my Topic.

In no way was I blaming Timm525 for the outages!  After he closed my Topic, this one was very visible & when I read the posts, he did explain the problem.

I don't want to pay some other company to get the site back on line.......   I rather donate every month here, so I know Timm is getting the money for miamiviceonline!

I know Timm525 is doing a great job & I'm sorry he took my Topic & comments the wrong way.

I hope this clears it up,

Tony D.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I'm glad to see the site has been problem free for a while now.  :thumbsup:

It's a new month, if we have problems again it'll be in the last week of the month.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James said:

It's a new month, if we have problems again it'll be in the last week of the month.

My wife tells me the same thing.

Don Rickles! And ya know dahh. 

Yep it's a usage thing with the web hosting service.

Dadrian...you're bad.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

• Administrators
On August 1, 2016 at 9:37 AM, Tony D. said:

I'm not trying to 'beat a dead horse' but I must make something clear, since Timm525 misunderstood my intention in the closed Topic: Site Unavailable, which I started.

I was reading the Topic, "Website Offline"  not this Topic, which I never noticed. That's the Topic where I commented on July 9 about the issue of people's posts coming out like vertical lines. Concerned about all the times the site was off line, I started my Topic.

In no way was I blaming Timm525 for the outages!  After he closed my Topic, this one was very visible & when I read the posts, he did explain the problem.

I don't want to pay some other company to get the site back on line.......   I rather donate every month here, so I know Timm is getting the money for miamiviceonline!

I know Timm525 is doing a great job & I'm sorry he took my Topic & comments the wrong way.

I hope this clears it up,

Tony D.

Thank you Tony and now that my blood pressure is stabilized somewhat, I apologize for my previous reply to you. You have no idea how frustrating it is when you work 70 hours a week and you come home to find your website offline, yet again, and then you have to call tech support which is some guy in India that you can hardly understand what he's saying and your facing having to switch hosting sites and all the headaches that go along with that and lose 6 months of prepaid service or upgrade to their next higher plan which is about 80 bucks a month.

I created this thread so that I could keep the membership informed of what was going on and why. I even asked Ell.a to translate the issues in Dutch so the other half of our membership would be kept in the loop too. She did that in another thread she started for them.  So your other thread seriously rubbed me the wrong way when I read it after creating this one. 

All's good for now and we will continue to look for solutions to this problem until it is no longer a problem.

Thanks to all for your understanding.

• Like 3