Happy Birthday, Gary1911A1

Tony D.

Wow!

That thing is gorgeous!

I had a 5906 for a few months long long ago, friend needed a cash loan and offered it as collateral. I normally do not take collateral for loans to friends, but I just could not resist when he added that I was authorized to take it to the range! 

Absolutely beautiful weapons, the ambidex safety, the serrations everywhere they are needed, solid steel, I loved that 5906!

Thought it was a bit heavy, however, even though I think a 9mm has greater recoil than a .45 ACP in a 1911 Gov Model (the higher breech pressure? or maybe it's just me) with the weapon's weight that 5906 had minimal recoil. Accurate too.

I was glad it took him as long as it did to pay it back and get his collateral, and no I don't charge friends or family interest :)  

Congratulations!

On 6/30/2016 at 8:31 PM, Mister Roman said:

Wow!

That thing is gorgeous!

I had a 5906 for a few months long long ago, friend needed a cash loan and offered it as collateral. I normally do not take collateral for loans to friends, but I just could not resist when he added that I was authorized to take it to the range! 

Absolutely beautiful weapons, the ambidex safety, the serrations everywhere they are needed, solid steel, I loved that 5906!

Thought it was a bit heavy, however, even though I think a 9mm has greater recoil than a .45 ACP in a 1911 Gov Model (the higher breech pressure? or maybe it's just me) with the weapon's weight that 5906 had minimal recoil. Accurate too.

I was glad it took him as long as it did to pay it back and get his collateral, and no I don't charge friends or family interest   

Congratulations!

the shorter the barrel the heavier the spring has to be, so I would say go over to wolf and get a service kit for it to see if the recoil spring is worn out, as guns that are heavy like that, are not normally snappy by design

and go to post number 4 here

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/400793-advice-needed-4006-failure-feed-issues.html

and that made all the difference in the world with a Kimber, as it went from snappy and unpleasant to quite nice to shoot with no once in a range session failures to feed,

and I just did this recently again with another one and I'm going to be testing that latter this week, and it turns out this piece of information also fills in the blanks about a few other events I've noted

namely with that is the PPK reliable thing, as I'm willing to bet that that incident with Princess Anne was caused by this, as one of the people on that website went to germany back then when they were still in service and noted that latter on that some of service PP's and PPK's were having this kind of odd trouble, which is what caused them to switch to the Walther P5 and the HK PM17 latter on, Hans Grubers gun from Die Hard.

when it turns out all it needed was a recoil spring change as I bet alot of police armorers are just like that given their budget constraints.

although the longer the slide, the less you do have to worry about this, as a half of an inch difference in the length of the barrel can change the spring weight from 15 pounds on a walther PP, to 20 on a PPK

something that Nutinfancy failed to note here when he switched the recoil spring to 17 pounds on a PP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kShpN_CyQ

and caused failure to feed because the spring was too heavy for it, and he did this on a CZ 75 too, a gun i have now personally tested and found it shot like a dream, with a CZ 75 B in 9mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeFY5WHXtME

and you couldnt miss with that gun if you tried really, so no wonder the colonel really loved that thing lol

worst part is I tired to tell him and he hasnt fixed the thing nor mentioned this in any of the latter videos on both of them, as I got that information from a master gunsmith who used to work at pachmayr back in the 1980's whos worked on these for years, so I know un its a 100% legit l

as this is the same guy who ignored a warning light on his car and killed his killer as he called it, as he used it to kill porsches, so the light has a history of not always being on with this chap lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-ckvL3d24

and how funny, the german reliability trumped his ability to tune things in the end, viva la deutschland dumbass lol

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 10:30 AM, Mister Roman said:

@Kavinsky 

As my post reads, the pistol was fine. 

?

well what I mean is it sounds like the gun may need a new recoil spring if its that snappy.

Kavinsky:

Sure, I get that, though I was referring to 9mm vs .45 ACP recoil in general. For instance, a new Norinco 213 (TT-33 clone with added thumb safety chambered w 9mm) with standard ballpoint loads has, in my opinion, greater recoil than a stock 1911 Gov. Model with .45 ACP. I attribute that to 9mm being a higher pressure cartridge. Or maybe I'm just a .45 fan. 

Now, my friend's 5906 I had for a few months, that one had minimal recoil - very smooth to fire.