Episode #93 "Heart Of Night"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

Heart of Night is a strong episode. It is atmospheric and is very strong in terms of visuals and music.Heart of Night has one of my favourite scenes in all of Vice, Castillo and May Ying meeting Ma-Sek at the hotel. I love that scene and that hotel is one of my favourite locations of the whole series. It is so visually striking and the song, 'Blood Money' by The Church, matches the sequence so well. The hotel looks gorgeous, the foliage and the whole design of it, and the shootout there was good too. Definitely a series highlight in my book. The hotel is actually the Embassy Suites at the airport. I've been there and it still looks the same as it did on Vice.See my photos here: http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?377-Miami-pics/page6The music in this episode is fantastic. The aforementioned 'Blood Money' and Joe Cocker's 'The One'. We finally get to hear The Cure on Vice. 'The Kiss' is great and Joan Armatrading's 'Dark Truths' was absolutely perfect for the ending. All the songs really matched the tone of the episode. Tim Truman had some nice tunes too.This episode holds my interest the whole way through. There are good performances and it's good to see Castillo in some karate action again. Some very nice scenery throughout, especially in the scene where May Ying is abducted. That's Key Biscayne, I believe.The story is decent, nothing spectacular, and it can be somewhat hard to buy the shift in Ma-Sek's character. That's an inconsistency from Golden Triangle. Maybe it's difficult to believe that the naive and unaware man that General Lao Li brought to Miami to use as a hostage could turn out to be such a bad egg, but then we didn't see too much of him in Golden Triangle so maybe we can accept this character change. And another slight downside to this ep is the abscence of Crockett.The closing scene is absolutely great. The sunset was beautiful and 'Dark Truths' was the perfect choice. A pretty sad scene though. It's like the Castillo equivalent of Crockett's ending in Definitely Miami.Overall, a very good episode. 9/10

• Administrators

One of the episodes that I usually skip. I was never into the whole Castillo / May Ying romance thing. Plus the fact that neither actor chose to reprise their roles ruined it for me completely.Usually I can say that Jan Hammer bailed out a not so great episode with his music score but I can't even say that!Sorry a 2 for me.

Guest neworder

lol nice COOPHowever, as much as I found your comment amusing, I differ on the rating for this episode. This is easily the finest Castillo episode since The Golden Triangle, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, perhaps because of its darker more serious tones, something Season 5 has a lot of and makes this season seem a lot younger than others in my opinion. Also nice to see someone other than Don Johnson getting the limelight for the first time in ages. EJO performed very well. The story is fairly decent. I also liked all the music in this episode, Truman's stuff is ok too. Theres some decent scenery too (Hotel and end sequence very nice indeed) and a few good action sequences. I do find May Yings husband a little weak however and there are a few clumsy lines in there from various characters excluding EJO who again performs well. Great ending sequence. So overall I like this episode, and it's one of the strongest Castillo focussed episodes, with another coming up in the form of Borrasca. Overall, 8/10

Dang, I missed the whole Burnett trilogy since last following the review threads?! "Atmospheric!" Nice call, Tommy. And nice call on the Castillo equivalent of Def Miami! :thumbsup::thumbsup:Bottom line up-front: CASTILLO KARATE BAD-A$$! A multi-course, five star Castillo dinner. Today, I'm not sure how high I want to rate this. I originally marked it at 10; I do not give out 10s liberally - usually I give 8 or 9 if I really like something. There might be one or two "tens" in the entire series in my view. I'll get back to you. I need to watch the show again because I got too distracted. A perfect 10 has to be awarded almost spontaneously to be valid, as far as I'm concerned. First course: we finally get to see the impenetrable man's inner sanctum: the hearth of Castillo. We also see his martial artsy senses tingling when he discovers "the ki is slightly out of place in his home." Must be trouble. When he discovered it was Mei Ying, he was a gentleman. Didn't make a pass or anything. Nuff said there. LT, you cad you! The last bite of the entree: Castillo solves the mystery leading the OCB into action, sans-Crockett (kind of a welcome departure - we, the viewers have the pleasure of seeing the characters' different dynamic in his absence). Castillo breaks a 2 X 4 with a knifehand. "Hi-YAH!" Dessert: Awesome ending - leave some mystery in there for us to figure out. It's so fitting... so climactic for MV to end an episode this way. Gold color filters, raging waters, Castillo brooding on the dock, silouhetted as the story ends. After dinner cognac: Castillo merges Hemingway's "code hero," "Bushido" and romantic stoicism. All around this is outstanding fulfillment for the characterization of Castillo. What's fulfilling about Castillo is -- that he never gets fulfilled. Come on, could the ending have been any better? No! The denouement is the canon of Castillo. The lack of a clear end is in keeping with "unity of experience" that harmonizes with everything we have learned about him since his entry in season one, his shadowy past, his freaking ninja mysticism, his humility and honor... Anything less would have been discord with what we expect from the character. Therefore, the resolution is immensely satisfying. Bookended by sunsets, as Tony D. once put it... Well said. "Blood Money" by Aussie mega-band The Church accompanies at least two scenes within, the first being in the abduction in the first 5:00. (For my review of The Church 2010 tour and some links to some of their exquisite videos, click HERE)Absolutely, one of the best images of Castillo in the entire series comes from this episode. Someone beat me to mentioning it.Eingefügtes Bild

Topic: Episode #93 "Heart Of Night" Posted: March 03 2008 at 9:44am Beautiful sunsets to begin and end this episode. Crockett is given a few days rest by Castillo, & this becomes Castillo's episode with a little help from Trudy & Stan. My big question is....after Mai Ying says "I love you my husband" & Martin says, "and I, you, my wife" ....why is Castillo left alone again & not re-marrying his wife???? I feel so bad for Castillo. :cry: The episode is good, but it's no Bushido, or Golden Triangle. I rate it 7/10.

My big question is....after Mai Ying says "I love you my husband" & Martin says' date=' "and I, you, my wife" ....why is Castillo left alone again & not re-marrying his wife???? I feel so bad for Castillo. :cry:[/quote'] With Castillo and Mai Ying, I think it's like with Valerie and Tubbs in Too Much, Too Late: they know they love each other, but circumstances from the job have gotten too deep for them to ever be together.I give it a 9, because I think all Castillo episodes are great.

My big question is....after Mai Ying says "I love you my husband" & Martin says' date=' "and I, you, my wife" ....why is Castillo left alone again & not re-marrying his wife???? I feel so bad for Castillo. I rate it 7/10.[/quote'] I am hoping that the script intended that this be left open-ended. Is your Castillo half-full or half-empty? One of those kinds of things. Although, this is season five... so... you never know!

I am hoping that the script intended that this be left open-ended. Is your Castillo half-full or half-empty? One of those kinds of things. Although' date=' this is season five... so... you never know![/quote'] Season 5 = throw a script idea at the wall and see if it sticks. :p

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Mai Ying's (Rosalind Chao's) loaded 80s resume:White Ghost (1989) .... Thi Hau "Jake and the Fatman" .... Elaine Nakasone (1 episode, 1989) - The Way You Look Tonight (1989) TV episode .... Elaine Nakasone"Miami Vice" .... Mai Ying (1 episode, 1988) - Heart of Night (1988) TV episode .... Mai YingShooter (1988) (TV) .... Lan "Tour of Duty" .... Li Kiem (1 episode, 1988) - Gray-Brown Odyssey (1988) TV episode .... Li Kiem"Beauty and the Beast" .... Lin Wong (1 episode, 1988) - China Moon (1988) TV episode .... Lin WongShao ye de mo nan (1987) .... Lian Hua "Max Headroom" .... Angie Barry (1 episode, 1987) ... aka "Max Headroom: 20 Minutes Into the Future" - USA (alternative title) - Deities (1987) TV episode .... Angie BarrySlam Dance (1987) .... Mrs. Bell "Stingray" .... Colette Tran (1 episode, 1987) - Anytime, Anywhere (1987) TV episode .... Colette Tran"Spies" (1 episode, 1987) - From China with Love (1987) TV episode "The A-Team" .... Alice Heath (1 episode, 1986) - Point of No Return (1986) TV episode .... Alice Heath"St. Elsewhere" .... Mary Wilson (1 episode, 1986) - Not My Type (1986) TV episode .... Mary Wilson"Jack and Mike" .... Holly Sykes (1 episode, 1986) - Pilot (1986) TV episode .... Holly Sykes"Falcon Crest" .... Li Ying (4 episodes, 1986) - Captive Hearts (1986) TV episode .... Li Ying - Consumed (1986) TV episode .... Li Ying - Cease and Desist (1986) TV episode .... Li Ying - Dangerous Ground (1986) TV episode .... Li Ying"Riptide" .... Lucy (1 episode, 1986) - Smiles We Left Behind (1986) TV episode .... LucySeven shows I would watch in a heartbeat (especially Tour of Duty, A-Team, and Riptide.) Plus, 8 episodes of Star Trek! This gal rocks!

I give this show an average 6. This story was not simply worthy as a follow up to Castillo's first reunion with his long lost wife at the whim of a major heroin dealer, that being Lao Li. No continuity at all.

I liked the atmosphere of this ep. The music and the scenery are great. But I don't like the story line of the ep. But I like the acting of EJO. So mixed feelings overall; a 7 from me.

• 7 months later...
My big question is....after Mai Ying says "I love you my husband" & Martin says' date=' "and I, you, my wife" ....why is Castillo left alone again & not re-marrying his wife???? I feel so bad for Castillo. :cry: The episode is good, but it's no Bushido, or Golden Triangle. I rate it 7/10.[/quote'] exactly what I was thinking... I see no reason why they cant be together now?? liked it overall because Castillo is in the spotlight but the story wasnt too exciting. Gave it a 6

Best enjoyed as the capper to a triple feature with Golden Triangle pts 1 and 2. Watching in that context strengthens this whole episode.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

The first filmed episode of Season 5 which aired as No #3 - showing the darkness- grittiness of Season 5 to come. This episode was quite good - very dark and violent in places ( the torture of Mai Ying and was she raped when the guy approached her ? awful - the acting in that scene by the thugs was poor ) I liked the scene with DJ at the Ocb off duty at the beginning of the episode - but I give a 5.5/10:D

• 2 months later...

http://www.miamiviceonline.com/showthread.php?377-Miami-pics/page6The music in this episode is fantastic. The aforementioned 'Blood Money' and Joe Cocker's 'The One'. We finally get to hear The Cure on Vice. 'The Kiss' is great and Joan Armatrading's 'Dark Truths' was absolutely perfect for the ending. All the songs really matched the tone of the episode. Tim Truman had some nice tunes too.This episode holds my interest the whole way through. There are good performances and it's good to see Castillo in some karate action again. Some very nice scenery throughout, especially in the scene where May Ying is abducted. That's Key Biscayne, I believe.The story is decent, nothing spectacular, and it can be somewhat hard to buy the shift in Ma-Sek's character. That's an inconsistency from Golden Triangle. Maybe it's difficult to believe that the naive and unaware man that General Lao Li brought to Miami to use as a hostage could turn out to be such a bad egg, but then we didn't see too much of him in Golden Triangle so maybe we can accept this character change. And another slight downside to this ep is the abscence of Crockett.The closing scene is absolutely great. The sunset was beautiful and 'Dark Truths' was the perfect choice. A pretty sad scene though. It's like the Castillo equivalent of Crockett's ending in Definitely Miami.Overall, a very good episode. 9/10

I typically do not quote other members' reviews when first writing my own...but I found Tommy's to be so much in tune with exactly what I was thinking, or found in this episode, that I decided to go ahead and quote it! I could not agree more! :thumbsup:This is one of my favorites of Season 5...if not my favorite! The acting, music, directing, filming locations, atmosphere, action, plot twists, etc...were superb! :clap:I found this to me much more enjoyable than "Golden Triangle" back in season 1! It just came together so perfectly, I loved the scenes between Castillo and May Ying, and even though there were different actors playing May Ying and Ma-Sek--I actually like Rosalind Chao and James Saito in those roles better than Joan Chen and...whoever played Ma-Sek in "G.T."?? But, the acting by EJO and Rosalind Chao was awesome and heart-felt! The ending is heart-wrenching for both Castillo and May Ying...but understandable and absolutely beautifully played out!! :glossy: However, the desire for a "Leave It To Beaver" ending in me ( :p ) likes to believe that sometime after "Freefall" Castillo and May Ying were able to get back together and have a second chance. :flowers:I absolutely loved the music used in this one...the continual song Blood Money by The Church was amazing, and "hauntingly" captivating!! :radio: It truly set the atmosphere with each scene it was played in! Other awesome songs included were as Tommy listed: The One by Joe Cocker, The Kiss by The Cure, and Dark Truths by Joan Armatrading. This episode is just in-depth, perfectly played out, and captivating...even without much Crockett. ;) Although, more of him and some pastels would have been nice. :) Perhaps I'm being too over-optimistic with this one...but I gave it a 10! One of the very few (perhaps one of two) episodes from Season 5 that would deserve that rating! :thumbsup: I can watch it over and over, and still love it! :done:

I typically do not quote other members' reviews when first writing my own...but I found Tommy's to be so much in tune with exactly what I was thinking' date=' or found in this episode, that I decided to go ahead and quote it! I could not agree more! :thumbsup:This is one of my favorites of Season 5...if not my favorite! The acting, music, directing, filming locations, atmosphere, action, plot twists, etc...were superb! :clap:I found this to me much more enjoyable than "Golden Triangle" back in season 1! It just came together so perfectly, I loved the scenes between Castillo and May Ying, and even though there were different actors playing May Ying and Ma-Sek--I actually like Rosalind Chao and James Saito in those roles better than Joan Chen and...whoever played Ma-Sek in "G.T."?? But, the acting by EJO and Rosalind Chao was awesome and heart-felt! The ending is heart-wrenching for both Castillo and May Ying...but understandable and absolutely beautifully played out!! :glossy: However, the desire for a "Leave It To Beaver" ending in me ( :p ) likes to believe that sometime after "Freefall" Castillo and May Ying were able to get back together and have a second chance. :flowers:I absolutely loved the music used in this one...the continual song [i']Blood Money by The Church was amazing, and "hauntingly" captivating!! :radio: It truly set the atmosphere with each scene it was played in! Other awesome songs included were as Tommy listed: The One by Joe Cocker, The Kiss by The Cure, and Dark Truths by Joan Armatrading. This episode is just in-depth, perfectly played out, and captivating...even without much Crockett. ;) Although, more of him and some pastels would have been nice. :) Perhaps I'm being too over-optimistic with this one...but I gave it a 10! One of the very few (perhaps one of two) episodes from Season 5 that would deserve that rating! :thumbsup: I can watch it over and over, and still love it! :done:

I typically do not quote other members' reviews when first writing my own...but I found Tommy's to be so much in tune with exactly what I was thinking, or found in this episode, that I decided to go ahead and quote it! I could not agree more! :thumbsup:This is one of my favorites of Season 5...if not my favorite! The acting, music, directing, filming locations, atmosphere, action, plot twists, etc...were superb! :clap:I found this to me much more enjoyable than "Golden Triangle" back in season 1! It just came together so perfectly, I loved the scenes between Castillo and May Ying, and even though there were different actors playing May Ying and Ma-Sek--I actually like Rosalind Chao and James Saito in those roles better than Joan Chen and...whoever played Ma-Sek in "G.T."?? But, the acting by EJO and Rosalind Chao was awesome and heart-felt! The ending is heart-wrenching for both Castillo and May Ying...but understandable and absolutely beautifully played out!! :glossy: However, the desire for a "Leave It To Beaver" ending in me ( :p ) likes to believe that sometime after "Freefall" Castillo and May Ying were able to get back together and have a second chance. :flowers:I absolutely loved the music used in this one...the continual song Blood Money by The Church was amazing, and "hauntingly" captivating!! :radio: It truly set the atmosphere with each scene it was played in! Other awesome songs included were as Tommy listed: The One by Joe Cocker, The Kiss by The Cure, and Dark Truths by Joan Armatrading. This episode is just in-depth, perfectly played out, and captivating...even without much Crockett. ;) Although, more of him and some pastels would have been nice. :) Perhaps I'm being too over-optimistic with this one...but I gave it a 10! One of the very few (perhaps one of two) episodes from Season 5 that would deserve that rating! :thumbsup: I can watch it over and over, and still love it! :done: