Episode #93 "Heart Of Night"

Ferrariman

I don't mind if Crockett is a side character, but if DJ is not even involved in the episode altogether, then you can pretty much tell the quality of it.

• Like 1

I don't mind if Crockett is a side character' date=' but if DJ is not even involved in the episode altogether, then you can pretty much tell the quality of it.[/quote']There were quality episodes where he was either just a sideline character, or was absent altogether...and this was probably definitely the perfect example! :thumbsup: Don was hardly gone from that many, even in Season 5, so I don't think it was that big of an issue. Plus, there were even a couple Crockett-focused episodes that were pretty ridiculous or weak...such as "Bad Timing". :rolleyes:
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

The face transplants for May Ying and the husband didn't work for me.

Really liked Joan Chen better in the role a few season back, plus I hated hubby  being an asshole. 

When he was stoic, but seemed to be a good man before.

With that said, it sill was one of the more tolerable S5 episodes. 

6/10

Edited by MrsEvanFreed

The face transplants for May Ying and the husband didn't work for me.

Really liked Joan Chen better in the role a few season back, plus I hated hubby  being an asshole. 

When he was stoic, but seemed to be a good man before.

With that said, it sill was one of the more tolerable S5 episodes. 

6/10

Quite poor and far too dark and violent . No Don either

6/10 :D  :)  :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I must agree with ViceFanMan that there are other fine actors in Miami Vice and for me E. J. Olmos holds the viewers interest. Not seeing DJ in an episode makes me appreciate him even more when he returns.

• Like 1

Matt5 said he liked the scene with DJ at the OCB in the beginning.....so even a little Crockett went a long way!

• 11 months later...

With the Sonny Burnett arc ending (Sonny is actually wearing jeans now :p ), it was nice to give some time to the other characters of OCB, especially with Castillo.  I enjoyed the scene where Trudy and May Ying talked for some time, and brought up events from "The Dutch Oven", it gave a bit more stronger continuity to the characters' experiences rather than moving on as if the event never happened.

The cinematography was done well with the lush scenery at the hotel, Castillo's house, and the final scene with Castillo and May Ying, and the Tim Turman score was done well (not extraordinary, but okay), but the soundtrack of songs were applied well here.  It still had the Miami Vice feel to it, but it was notably more serious and darker than the earliest seasons of Miami Vice.

So... what exactly happened to May Ying when she was kidnapped?  Was it implied she was raped, or was about to, since Cortez was putting his shirt back on and Rivas saying that "no woman can stand you"?

The biggest weakness was the development of the characters with Castillo, May Ying, and Ma Sek.  Yes, we do know that the death of May Ying's son triggered Ma Sek and May Ying to grow apart, but it certainly didn't show until after May Ying made Ma Sek to confess about stealing.  There should of been some noticable resentment and tension between the two characters throughout the episode rather than surprising the audience out of the blue like that; making it an unnatural progression for the characters. 

I know Castillo's a taciturn and mysterious guy, but with the deaths of his closest friends (Jack Gretsky in "Bushido", and Ernesto Lupe in "God's Work"), it would have been nice to see more vulnerablity with May Ying as she's seems to be the fewer and fewer people Castillo is close to, and confides in.  It could have explored more on where Castillo was drawing his strength from with the loss of those few he was close to, in which this loss is somewhat similar to Sonny Crockett's situation and emotional isolation in leading up to "Deliver Us From Evil".  I know Castillo mentioned his strict abidance in following the rules and being "the only thing he believes in" back in "Golden Triangle (Part II)", but exploring his mental resolve could have added more depth to Castillo's character and could have provided an interesting character comparision to others in OCB in how they handle the stress of working in the criminal underworld in being an police officer.  ...I don't know... I guess with Trudy mentioning that she worries about Castillo and how he would need somebody, it brought up in my mind about who Castillo has left to be close to outside of OCB now.

Yet the most confusing aspect of it all, was why did May Ying leave Castillo in the end?  She would most likely be divorcing Ma Sek, had no children (which would have complicated things if her son was still alive), didn't have criminal ties like most of the love interests had for the OCB main characters, and apparently didn't have a career that would keep her preoccupied.  ?(  The ending just seemed unnecessarily melancholy to give it a sad, sympathetic ending toward Castillo's character in being alone and isolated again, when there seemed no reason for them to be apart, especially since May Ying was already used to Castillo's time-consuming, undercover job in working for the DEA back at the Golden Triangle.  I didn't read all of the summary before watching the episode, and I really did think the show would give Castillo some happiness at the end since there was nothing causing them to be apart now.  ...I don't know, the sad ending seemed forced and illogical.

It was a fairly... okay plot, great cinemeatography, and tolerable developments, but it didn't really progress Castillo's character or May Ying's in any particularly intriguing direction unlike other episodes that focused on Castillo.  ...Sadly, a wasted opportunity for both characters.

Edited by Vice Immersion
  • Like 2

I agree, the ending was unnecessary and artificious, but I think the same applies to many love stories of the main characters.

Did you ever heard about Theresa after that couple of episodes? Or about the many girls Rico and Sonny met thru the series? I think that the production wanted them "married to their job" and most of all "married to the audience", that's why they can't have any lasting relationship. Their girls are either been killed or simply disappear from the narration, and that's true for close friends too, sometimes.

I never liked that kind of endings, but I think it works for the production: as long as Sonny stays single, any girl or woman can keep alive her own hopes ;-)

Edited by Jerry Beck
  • Like 1

I agree, the ending was unnecessary and artificious, but I think the same applies to many love stories of the main characters.

Did you ever heard about Theresa after that couple of episodes? Or about the many girls Rico and Sonny met thru the series? I think that the production wanted them "married to their job" and most of all "married to the audience", that's why they can't have any lasting relationship. Their girls are either been killed or simply disappear from the narration, and that's true for close friends too, sometimes.

I never liked that kind of endings, but I think it works for the production: as long as Sonny stays single, any girl or woman can keep alive her own hopes ;-)

I guess with me, is that with the other love stories it's obvious why Sonny, Rico, or any of the other OCB characters can't have a long-lasting relationship (since their love interests are eventually either a criminal, an addict, or gets killed), but with this particular ending (none of those happening to May Ying) and with so much palpable affection between Castillo and May Ying, there seemed no reason to have them torn apart or at least attempt to stay together.

;-) ...Speaking of any girl or woman having their hopes up, I know the women were crazy for Sonny and Rico... but were they that crazy for Castillo too?  ...Leaving the poor guy single and with far less romantic interests? ;(  :p

Edited by Vice Immersion

• 1 year later...

to me just a so-so episode. 7/10. they bring back May Ying and her husband, both played by different actors...but they completely change the husband's character from his previous appearance.

Once again as per most other season 4-5 episodes it lacks the style of the first couple years that made the lesser episodes go down easier.

oh one more thing. dumb title. "heart of night". what does that even mean?!

Edited by AzVice
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2016 at 11:02 PM, AzVice said:

to me just a so-so episode. 7/10. they bring back May Ying and her husband, both played by different actors...but they completely change the husband's character from his previous appearance.

Once again as per most other season 4-5 episodes it lacks the style of the first couple years that made the lesser episodes go down easier.

oh one more thing. dumb title. "heart of night". what does that even mean?!

I enjoyed this episode but it shows the darker element Season 5 would become - this was the first filmed episode of Season 5

7/10:):)

• 10 months later...

One of the best of S5. This is a good example of how cool S5 started out but really got tired in the second half.

Love the music that plays during the opening shot. Really soothing.

I like most of the Castillo episodes. Good to see May Ying back.

Really like the music and locations in this one. Especially the hotel.

Good action.

I still dont like the ending. They love each other but they can't be together because her basically ex husband has been arrested.

8.5/10

• 1 year later...

For me, plot is never paramount in Vice episodes.  I'm drawn in more by the mood and style.  But this episode is fatally sabotaged by bad writing.

First, they're too lazy or unimaginative to convince us that Ma Sek went bad.  Give us a reason it happened or show us the transformation.  This is especially important if you're going to change the actors for both Ma Sek and May Ying.  Howie Wong is now Ma Sek?  Our suspension of disbelief is already suffering because of the new faces.

Then comes the icing on the cake:  Castillo and May Ying part ways for no apparent reason at all!  Give us something, anything!!!  We spend several episodes watching them gush over each other like teenage lovebirds but then they walk away ... just because?!?!?

• Like 4

Jeez! I never noticed it was a different actress. How embarrassing! Granted, I have only watched this episode 4 or 5 times, tops. It’s still very obvious, though. 

On 12/12/2018 at 4:40 AM, Dadrian said:

Jeez! I never noticed it was a different actress. How embarrassing! Granted, I have only watched this episode 4 or 5 times, tops. It’s still very obvious, though. 

She is very beautiful though.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:11 AM, airtommy said:

For me, plot is never paramount in Vice episodes.  I'm drawn in more by the mood and style.  But this episode is fatally sabotaged by bad writing.

First, they're too lazy or unimaginative to convince us that Ma Sek went bad.  Give us a reason it happened or show us the transformation.  This is especially important if you're going to change the actors for both Ma Sek and May Ying.  Howie Wong is now Ma Sek?  Our suspension of disbelief is already suffering because of the new faces.

Then comes the icing on the cake:  Castillo and May Ying part ways for no apparent reason at all!  Give us something, anything!!!  We spend several episodes watching them gush over each other like teenage lovebirds but then they walk away ... just because?!?!?

Never realised it was Howie Wong as Ma Sek .. very interesting.

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Never realised it was Howie Wong as Ma Sek .. very interesting.

Most people mistake him for Robert Redford :dance2:

On 12/12/2018 at 5:11 AM, airtommy said:

interesting thread. i never noticed the actor's switch. good point there

in an episode i think it's heart of night, we clearly see May Ying husband has gone bad. probably after his son died. the May Ying, and Castillo ending is awesome. personnally i find it one of the best moments of MV. i mean so deep.. i interpret it as the following May Ying, and Castillo are definitely attracted one to each other, but so many water has gone under the bridges. May Ying wants to be sure her love for Marty is true. because she doesn't want to lie to the man she loves. this is a f.. good ending. love that series :cool: :thumbsup:

Edited by jpm1

2 hours ago, jpm1 said:

interesting thread. i never noticed the actor's switch. good point there

in an episode i think it's heart of night, we clearly see May Ying husband has gone bad. probably after his son died. the May Ying, and Castillo ending is awesome. personnally i find it one of the best moments of MV. i mean so deep.. i interpret it as the following May Ying, and Castillo are definitely attracted one to each other, but so many water has gone under the bridges. May Ying wants to be sure her love for Marty is true. because she doesn't want to lie to the man she loves. this is a f.. good ending. love that series :cool: :thumbsup:

I agree I liked the May Ying and Castillo ending, great show. The actress was very lovely.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 4:40 AM, Dadrian said:

Joan Chen, the original May Ying was probably not available due to her being part of "Twin Peaks" at the time.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, Bren10 said:

Rosalind Chao was in an affecting episode of Tour of Duty (another great 80s show) called The Gray-Brown Odyssey.

Great actress.

• 3 months later...

I know this has been discussed on this thread, but I'm throwing it out there again to see if anyone else has an opinion. Castillo and his ex-wife, May Ying, seem to still be in love. Why on earth did she tell him she loves him and then just walk away? Her other marriage to Ma Sek is obviously over. I just don't get it!

Also, it bothered me a little that Castillo didn't tell Trudy that it wasn't her fault that Ma Sek ran out on her. How could Trudy have known? 

I'm not real fond of this episode. As others have mentioned, it has lots of holes in the story. 

• Like 1