Episode #93 "Heart Of Night"

Ferrariman

5 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Yes.  Rusty brings gravitas to anything he's in.  Even Boy Meets World!

No doubt, I loved him in "Boy Meets World" (watched that show after school in 1995, along with the awesome "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Sabrina: The Teenage Witch"; look, I know Soleli Moon Frye's in Sabrina--the moon and the stars indeed for our dear grown Punky--, but I stayed for Beth Broderick:flowers:). Also, Russ is in 1987's "Dead of Winter"; that's one of my favorite films ever and Mary Steenburgen carries the film (playing three characters!), but I think Russ is strong there in a bit part as a husband on crutches, worried about his wife (he should be; Steenburgen's Julie is both in the soup and in the cold there!:freeze:).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

No doubt, I loved him in "Boy Meets World" (watched that show after school in 1995, along with the awesome "Batman: The Animated Series" and "Sabrina: The Teenage Witch"; look, I know Soleli Moon Frye's in Sabrina--the moon and the stars indeed for our dear grown Punky--, but I stayed for Beth Broderick:flowers:). Also, Russ is in 1987's "Dead of Winter"; that's one of my favorite films ever and Mary Steenburgen carries the film (playing three characters!), but I think Russ is strong there in a bit part as a husband on crutches, worried about his wife (he should be; Steenburgen's Julie is both in the soup and in the cold there!:freeze:).

I gave up on Sabrina after Season 3, so I missed the addition of the Artist Formerly Known as Punky.

Dead of Winter.  Yes.  I got around to watching that last year.  It managed to be both a good thriller and an amusing tongue-in-cheek "take" on cat and mouse mysteries.  

Just now, Jack Gretsky said:

I gave up on Sabrina after Season 3, so I missed the addition of the Artist Formerly Known as Punky.

Dead of Winter.  Yes.  I got around to watching that last year.  It managed to be both a good thriller and an amusing tongue-in-cheek "take" on cat and mouse mysteries.  

Yeah, that's how I see "Dead of Winter" as well, while being an ode to the cattle call of casting & desperation along with that. Mary Steenburgen has a knack of being in films I love, such as 1979's "Time After Time" (Malcolm McDowall vs. David Warner? Sold! Plus the real-life love story of Steenburgen & McDowall that just pops off the screen makes my heart happy), 1985's "One magic Christmas" (anything that Harry Dean Stanton did, I'm all about) and 2007's "Numb" with Matthew Perry (a funny film about depersonalization; somehow, it works for me).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, that's how I see "Dead of Winter" as well, while being an ode to the cattle call of casting & desperation along with that. Mary Steenburgen has a knack of being in films I love, such as 1979's "Time After Time" (Malcolm McDowall vs. David Warner? Sold! Plus the real-life love story of Steenburgen & McDowall that just pops off the screen makes my heart happy), 1985's "One magic Christmas" (anything that Harry Dean Stanton did, I'm all about) and 2007's "Numb" with Matthew Perry (a funny film about depersonalization; somehow, it works for me).

I couldn't get into One Magic Christmas, but I note it did star Gary Basaraba, alias Cyrus, aka the mook who picks bad spots for fist fights. :fireworks:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Gretsky said:

I couldn't get into One Magic Christmas, but I note it did star Gary Basaraba, alias Cyrus, aka the mook who picks bad spots for fist fights. :fireworks:

Not a lot of people are bullish about the film, but I guess because I first viewed it as a kid with my mom and I think the world of Harry Dean Stanton as a performer (I've always liked Steenburgen as well, but in truth, the only Hollywood actress I'd want to marry was Margot Kidder, and my ONLY choice; figure I'd throw that in!:glossy:) that I just think it's a super X-Mas film. I viewed it later as an adult, and "One Magic Christmas" still held up for me

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Not a lot of people are bullish about the film, but I guess because I first viewed it as a kid with my mom and I think the world of Harry Dean Stanton as a performer (I've always liked Steenburgen as well, but in truth, the only Hollywood actress I'd want to marry was Margot Kidder, and my ONLY choice; figure I'd throw that in!:glossy:) that I just think it's a super X-Mas film. I viewed it later as an adult, and "One Magic Christmas" still held up for me

Stanton is so awesome that he even steals the few scenes he's in in The Godfather Part II

Fine.  You can have Kidder.  I'll take Barbara Hershey. :p

• Like 2

Just now, Jack Gretsky said:

Stanton is so awesome that he even steals the few scenes he's in in The Godfather Part II

Actually, Hershey's a heck of a choice all the way around; I can't deny you those Hershey kisses, even on mushy "Beaches" ("Did you ever know..oh, nevermind!).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

Now that Harry Dean Stanton is mentioned, I believe he could've played about ANY guy in Vice (both sides, relative of team member, ot-from-the-cold guy), but he wasn't doing much TV at the time. 

Mentioning "Dead of Winter", with Roddy McDowall in a role there, I would've liked to see him finish off what J.J. Johnston started, quite possibly as his son (he can even win, like that blasted Maynard did).

I forgot the other show for the blockbuster Friday Night lineup: "Clarence & Melody: On the Case". I mean, wow, Clarence needs the work (since I'm sure the biker bar closed), and we'd want him to have the bread to be able to put food on the table, because when Clarence gets hungry, he starts thinking about eating his gun; we don't want that!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Now that Harry Dean Stanton is mentioned, I believe he could've played about ANY guy in Vice (both sides, relative of team member, ot-from-the-cold guy), but he wasn't doing much TV at the time. 

Mentioning "Dead of Winter", with Roddy McDowall in a role there, I would've liked to see him finish off what J.J. Johnston started, quite possibly as his son (he can even win, like that blasted Maynard did).

I forgot the other show for the blockbuster Friday Night lineup: "Clarence & Melody: On the Case". I mean, wow, Clarence needs the work (since I'm sure the biker bar closed), and we'd want him to have the bread to be able to put food on the table, because when Clarence gets hungry, he starts thinking about eating his gun; we don't want that!

Good point.  Why wasn't Stanton ever on MV?  He would have slayed!

You know, a simply "Melody" show would suffice for me. :happy:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

Ohg yeah, I would've LOVED Harry Dean Stanton on Vice; would've been a good time, I believe!

• Like 2

Whoo! I've been so busy working 16-hour days filming "I Heart Bushido": in the last episode, May Ying #1 solved the mystery of who used the entire bottle of shampoo (it was May Ying #2, but Castillo thought it was me, so I was given the silent treatment and I slammed the front door Crockett-style. This method acting is tough, but watch those blinds fly!). The next episode is the return of The Great One, Jack Gretsky (there can't be a Bushido without him) as an angel, with a special appearance by Toni Childs. After that, I personally will get my hair tied up Kabuki-style (at my non-imaginary job, Cortlan does it, I do it, and Colleen is "Colleen Kabuki: Pub Samurai" when she wears her hair up with her cute black Marriott mask) and embrace my own inner Bushido. Vice: the gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 6:20 PM, Jack Gretsky said:

Yeah, Melody on her own could bring a house or two down with her subtle forcefulness and enchanting door-opening nature. Clarence may be bummed about how things turned out for him, but he chose well with Melody (she is DEFINITELY on the case).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, Melody on her own could bring a house or two down with her subtle forcefulness and enchanting door-opening nature. Clarence may be bummed about how things turned out for him, but he chose well with Melody (she is DEFINITELY on the case).

"Melody Melodies" could be the show's name - in honor of Warner Bros' "Merrie Melodies."  Instead of Porky Pig at the end saying, "Th-that's all folks!" it could be clip of Hank Weldon doing his best seadog ("Put 'er there, lieutenant") in Castillo's face....

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jack Gretsky said:

"Melody Melodies" could be the show's name - in honor of Warner Bros' "Merrie Melodies."  Instead of Porky Pig at the end saying, "Th-that's all folks!" it could be clip of Hank Weldon doing his best seadog ("Put 'er there, lieutenant") in Castillo's face....

I think "Melody Melodies" could really work: some singing, some dancing, but still, solving crimes. Actually, what Melody is doing in terms of the core plot is trying to raise money to supply Clarence with a high-powered defense attorney, and we build from that.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great episode but the bad echo audio ruins the experience. 

On the fabulous films blu ray boxset no way is that episode in DTS- HD master audio, even if they fixed the echo effect on other box set the sound is not high definition.

By any chance was that guy who messed up the audio surveillance on Tubbs responsible for the bad audio in the episode as well?:)

• Haha 2

On 1/22/2022 at 10:47 AM, Dadrian said:

Don’t forget: he also let Zito’s house burn down. :) 

Tubbs had a bad run there, even injuring himself. I love Tubbs, but he was bad luck that week!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 2:59 PM, RedDragon86 said:

By any chance was that guy who messed up the audio surveillance on Tubbs responsible for the bad audio in the episode as well?

fro 'The Heart of Darkness'? :)

• 5 months later...
On 1/5/2022 at 12:45 PM, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Whoo! I've been so busy working 16-hour days filming "I Heart Bushido": in the last episode, May Ying #1 solved the mystery of who used the entire bottle of shampoo (it was May Ying #2, but Castillo thought it was me, so I was given the silent treatment and I slammed the front door Crockett-style. This method acting is tough, but watch those blinds fly!). The next episode is the return of The Great One, Jack Gretsky (there can't be a Bushido without him) as an angel, with a special appearance by Toni Childs. After that, I personally will get my hair tied up Kabuki-style (at my non-imaginary job, Cortlan does it, I do it, and Colleen is "Colleen Kabuki: Pub Samurai" when she wears her hair up with her cute black Marriott mask) and embrace my own inner Bushido. Vice: the gift that keeps on giving!

Augh!  I missed this awesome post from earlier this year.  I sure hope "I Heart Bushido" returns for a new season, especially since "Rickert Fences" has been cancelled. (R.I.P. Lenny).  

I found the episode of "Bushido" you describe interesting because Jack Gretsky returns calling himself "Ben" and crooning Orbison songs into a work light. 

• 1 month later...

Recurring actor experts:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Is the same guy Reb drowns in the Atlantis hot tub in Viking Bikers??

6750CF63-D696-4187-AEFC-D95D22FC1A70.jpeg

11 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Recurring actor experts:

Forgive me if this has already been addressed.

Is the same guy Reb drowns in the Atlantis hot tub in Viking Bikers??

6750CF63-D696-4187-AEFC-D95D22FC1A70.jpeg

Yes Dadrian, you are correct. 
“You got what you want, now get out”  before Reb drowns him. I must say, I didn’t notice this one before, good work detective :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Miami Beau said:

Yes Dadrian, you are correct. 
“You got what you want, now get out”  before Reb drowns him. I must say, I didn’t notice this one before, good work detective :thumbsup:

I have my moments :) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

A great episode and really the last hurrah for the Castillo character imo. I know this was the first ep filmed in September 1988 but I kinda wish they have saved this or inserted this episode towards the end of season 5 before the big Castillo absence. 

Castillo should have survived the gunshot in Miami Squeeze like he did. Returned in Cell Within. Continued through to Over The Line and then insert Heart Of Night before Victims of Circumstance. Castillo could have gone “away” for a while after the whole May Ying fiasco, feeling disillusioned with the job. This would then explain his absence in World Of Trouble, Miracle Man ect…

This would then give more weight to the Freefall scene where Castillo suspended Stan. Castillo kinda blames himself for letting Stan go that far into his gambling troubles and for not being around more. Well if the May Ying thing had happened more recently towards the end of the season, that would make sense rather than no explanation besides in Miracle Man when Tubbs says he’s at court. 
Anyways great episode and here’s my tribute trailer I created for it.

• Like 1