Fairlight samples used in Miami Vice cues

Crockettt

I just discovered that guitar chords from Better Living Through Chemistry come from Fairlight CMI-III (patch called GTRO2CHDS)

You can hear it here: (1:39)

Guitar sound from Shadow In The Dark track can be heard at 2:18 (Patch called GTRRVB19).

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 5

Yes! I've seen this video. Very cool stuff. I was very fortunate to be able to sample that sound right off the DVD (from the final 2 chords). 

Nice find Crockettt! I should have the entire library from "Series IIx" downloaded somewhere.

I remember I used the tuned timbales from the MV Theme in one of my tracks...

Edited by Jerry B.
  • Like 1

Jerry could you send me timbale samples ? I can't find them anywhere.

Edited by Crockettt

4 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Jerry could you send me timbale samples ? I can't find them anywhere.

Hey Crockett, sure I can, as soon I can find them again. You know, those kind of sounds are not really in demand in my everyday job ;-) So I archived them in one of my removable HDs. I will look for them, promised.

• Like 1

Thank You Jerry! Do you know where can i find samples from Fairlight Series III? Seems they are very hard to find.

Edited by Crockettt

Not really, Crockettt. I don't even recall how I came across the IIx ones. I probably found them by chance while browsing for vintage hardware ;-)

• 4 months later...

I thought Jan had a CMI II and not III? How was he able to use these sounds? They are not part of the II factory bank. But maybe they released these patches additionally for the II as well. Or did Jan upgrade to a III?

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, he was able to afford two fairlights in a relative short amount of time? Let's remember that the CMI II cost £30,000 according to Wiki and I expect that theI III was probably the same, if not even more.

• Like 1

I've always imagined he didn't shell out the ALL the cash for those. High profile artists get very special treatment from instrument makers. After all, it's relatively cheap (and highly effective) advertising. Like I said, I'm only speculating, though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dadrian (or anyone else),
what piano patch do you think Jan used most of the time? Or did he use an actual piano?
The piano sounds I can find from the Fairlight, DX-7, Jupiter, etc. don't sound right...

• Like 1

A few different ones. 

"Flashback": Actual grand piano

"Russian Story" (and all those season 2 dark digital piano sounds like "French Twist"): DX7 Piano factory patch (not sure of the number, but pretty easy to find). You can hear it at the end of my 2010 version of Definitely Miami. 

"Theresa": I'm pretty sure those Season 3 digital piano sounds are from the Fairlight Series III. I wanna say I've read that in an interview, but I'm not certain. 

Any others in particular?

Thanks, Dadrian.
I really didn't have any particular ones in mind except Shadows In The Dark. I really like the Piano in there.
Oh and "Wedding" also comes to mind...

Yeah I think Shadow in the Dark was Fairlight III per Keyboard Magazine article in 1987 (with rare vinyl insert of that track!).