I noticed something interesting in "Lombard"

mirrorimageegamirorrim

This is probably not news to many of you but I just noticed that the hitman at the very end of the episode in the passenger seat is the same hitman from "No Exit".  A great bit of continuity!  Do we ever see this fellow again?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sharp eye!  I've never seen anybody point this out.  I just watched both scenes and it looks like a pretty good match.  It's odd that the actor isn't credited in the "No Exit" scene.  He speaks on the phone and he is featured in one brief scene.

• Like 1

I'd noticed that too! Glad it came up here. Lots of nameless goons were reused. I know we've discussed a few of them over the years. Someone should put together a matrix. 

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

Lots of nameless goons were reused.

Yes. For example, the mean looking guy towards the end of "Bushido", who gets hit in the neck by Castillo with that katana sword, reappears in season five episode "Bad Timing" in another role.

Also, that one bald guy in "Smuggler's Blues" who is dragged into a restroom by Crockett during a bust reappears in some other episode.

I'm also quite sure I saw that one waiter from Lombard again somewhere. You know, the one at the ice cream parlor who comes up to the table where Frederico Librizzi and Charlie are sitting, but then turns away again without saying a word.

Oh, and did you notice that "Lester" reappears unexplainedly in that season four episode at the front desk of the video dating service? (can't think of the episode title right now). His name isn't mentioned, but it seems he and Crockett don't know each other, so this isn't simply Lester's new job after quitting the vice squad.

• Administrators

Lester also appears as bad guy Escobar in the season 4 episode "Badge of Dishonor"   

There's also another creepy looking bad guy who appears numerous times. He's one of Calderone's men who captures Sonny at the end of "Calderone's Demise"  he can also be  seen making the deal for the statue from Eddie and Louis in "Milk Run"

I can only guess that the producers never counted on fans watching these episodes a hundred times and we wouldn't notice.

• Like 2

At least they didn't use DJ, PMT or any of the main characters as fill-ins!  Even on a one time TV viewing, they would be recognized in the background by a sharp-eyed fan.

As Ferrariman said these things are noticed after watching the DVD a hundred times.

But let's not forget the biggest reuse of a significant actor in a different role... Miguel Pinero as Esteban Calderone and later as Esteban Revilla.

I have to admit, the first one or two times that I watched "Prodigal Son", at the end of it, I was really left wondering where exactly I should have spotted Miguel Pinero after his name appeared in the opening credits. It was only when I watched it on DVD a second or third time that I was like, "Of course!!!".

They really did a pretty good job disguising Miguel Pinero as somebody completely different who had no relation to Calderone.

People like Miguel Pinero or John Santucci also show Michael Mann's penchant for casting former real-life criminals as actors to increase realism... who better to play a drug trafficking kingpin or a mafia sleazeball than an actual former crook...

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1

i'm just finishing season 5 and i noticed "Sam" from Smuggler's Blues and Sons and lovers reappear in Over the Line

also the guy that played 'doc jerry' in Bad Timing appeared in 4 other episodes as a background goon.

Victims of Circumstance was odd in that it had Paul Guilfoyle, John Leguizamo and Xander Berkeley all returning in different roles

Thanks, everybody!  I agree that we need a special thread dedicated to cataloging all the characters and extras who were reused.  What makes this particular instance special is that the same extra plays the same role twice.   Usually they do something a bit different from episode to episode.  This guy was a hit man, twice.  Kind of interesting.

By the way, I don't remember him having any dialogue in "No Exit".  That's a great catch.  At what minute/seconds does this occur?      

• Like 1

Would be a fun topic if you want to pursue it. I can think of other characters such as the burly guy who punched out Moon in Down for the Count, and he appeared in Vote of Confidence as well as another when he cornered Switek about his gambling debts. 

2 hours ago, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

By the way, I don't remember him having any dialogue in "No Exit".  That's a great catch.  At what minute/seconds does this occur?      

I don't know the time it occurs, but it's right before Sonny goes to the park to meet Rita.  Rita is on the phone with the hit man.

8 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I don't know the time it occurs, but it's right before Sonny goes to the park to meet Rita.  Rita is on the phone with the hit man.

Ah, yes, the phone conversation!  I never thought about that.  I suppose we have no way of knowing whose voice it actually is but it definitely is supposed to be the hit man.  It's an interesting gray area regarding a dialogue credit.  Any dialogue credit would have to come from this because I don't think we ever hear the man's voice when we see him in person.    

Maybe I'm wrong, but there are also some "bodyguard goons" who appear as extras in several episodes, mostly as bodyguards again, and they kind of always look the same.

As if they were always just shuffling through a handful of actors that they had on their list for those roles.

They're somehow always grim looking Hispanic guys with a beard... :)

Edited by Daytona74

• 9 months later...

Now wasn't Izzy used over again as well? He's in the pilot. He dresses like a woman and is shot & killed. He is then used as Izzy throughout the rest of the seasons.

21 minutes ago, ZAQ 178 said:

Now wasn't Izzy used over again as well? He's in the pilot. He dresses like a woman and is shot & killed. He is then used as Izzy throughout the rest of the seasons.

The assassin Martin Ferrero played in the Pilot was Trini Desoto. Izzy was a separate character they implemented later.

• Like 1

Yeah a lot of actors and extra's were reused on Miami Vice. I don't think, that could pass today. Michael Delorenzo had a role in "Lombard." And according to wiki in the "Junk Love" episode as well as a dogfight gambler. 

And to add, the guy who spoke some of the first lines on Miami Vice was Luis Antonio Ramos, he isn't credited for that part on IMDb. Not sure, if it's already been mentioned somewhere.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, summer84 said:

Yeah a lot of actors and extra's were reused on Miami Vice. I don't think, that could pass today. Michael Delorenzo had a role in "Lombard." And according to wiki in the "Junk Love" episode as well as a dogfight gambler. 

And to add, the guy who spoke some of the first lines on Miami Vice was Luis Antonio Ramos, he isn't credited for that part on IMDb. Not sure, if it's already been mentioned somewhere.

Yeah, shows used to always recycle guest stars over and over again, even up through the 90s. The original Perry Mason series was famous for this. Back then no one cared, and you just went with it. ;) I can still watch the old shows and have no problem with the same actor popping up a few episodes apart as different characters....but if they tried to do that regularly on a show now I would definitely notice, lol! :p I miss the old days when you didn't care or question a show...you just went with it, enjoyed it, and had fun! :dance2:

• Like 2

• Administrators
On 8/10/2016 at 2:58 PM, Crockettt said:

Nelson Oramas (Sam from Smuggler's Blues) as Escalante in Over the Line.

2cqma1s.jpg

This guy was also the cop that tested the purity of the coke in the statues at Lombard's burned out warehouse in "Lombard" 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Yeah, a lot of other 80s series reused actors too. German ones too.
One actor that hasn'T been mentioned yet I believe is that sleazy guy who plays the bad dude in Baseballs of Death. He appears in a simialr dislikable role in a previous episode, don't remember which, but he's like a pimp working in a club. Both times it was a Latin-American character I believe so it was quite some continuity. I really don't like the guy though....comes off creepy for real.

Edited by Den Taylor

• 6 months later...
On 7/24/2016 at 12:40 PM, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

This is probably not news to many of you but I just noticed that the hitman at the very end of the episode in the passenger seat is the same hitman from "No Exit".  A great bit of continuity!  Do we ever see this fellow again?

He can be seen in this behind the scenes footage of the filming of "Lombard" at about 5:40 and then again at about 6:10 shaking hands with the director John Nicolella.  He's wearing the same skinny-legged white pants that he wore in the "No Exit" scene

hitman.jpg

hitman2.jpg

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, airtommy said:

He can be seen in this behind the scenes footage of the filming of "Lombard" at about 5:40 and then again at about 6:10 shaking hands with the director John Nicolella.  He's wearing the same skinny-legged white pants that he wore in the "No Exit" scene

hitman.jpg

hitman2.jpg

Very interesting - can’t recall seeing him in “Lombard” at all even as an extra 

• 2 years later...
vor 2 Stunden schrieb Mr. Calderon:

I was watching michael jackson's beat it video today. Salvatore was one of the gang guys. Poor lombard...he couldnt imagine that.

Yes, that is a known fact that actor Michael DeLorenzo was in this music video. Thanks for reminding us.