Have you ever been laughed at for doing the Vice look?

Detective_Crockett

Has any lamebrain scumbag ever laughed at you for dressing like Sonny Crockett? It used to happen to me, I got funny looks in the street, but it never bothered me at all...this year it hasn't happened at all, but has it ever happened to you guys, have you ever shared the pain? 

Maybe it happened before because not many people in the UK wear pastels, but I'm seeing a return of it, even saw a guy the other day dressed the same..maybe it's because the 80s is coming back, it's a great time to do the Vice look, don't let anyone laugh at you, hold those Raybans high.

Edited by Detective_Crockett
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Has any lamebrain scumbag ever laughed at you for dressing like Sonny Crockett? It used to happen to me, I got funny looks in the street, but it never bothered me at all...this year it hasn't happened at all, but has it ever happened to you guys, have you ever shared the pain? 

Maybe it happened before because I'm a 20 year old guy and not many people in the UK wear pastels, but I'm seeing a return of it, even saw a guy the other day dressed the same..maybe it's because the 80s is coming back, it's a great time to do the Vice look, don't let anyone laugh at you, hold those Raybans high.

I've been doing the style ever since. I got looks, comments, smiles, but no laughs so far. I tend to go more with Season 1 style, which was not so strictly pastels, but also a lot of grey, olive, black etc.. I do wear a lot of pastel shirts though and there's particularly one guy at the office who feels he needs to highlight to the others once in a while that daytona365 'is doing his Sonny Crockett thing again today'. But hey, I'm old enough to give a rat's ass about it.

• Like 2

Oh, I got laughed at plenty.

I was all into Miami Vice as a teenager, and everything about it. As I've shown in another thread, I even had a bright white, Vice inspired blazer.

My friends back in high school were mainly "normies", slackers and metalheads (broad mix in and of itself, I know), and I was sticking out like a sore thumb with my attempted Sonny Crockett hairstyle, my sunglasses and then from some point on that white blazer.

Other people just never "got" it. Even at a young age, I loved Vice for the orgy of style, music and color schemes that it celebrated (on top of being just really good TV drama). And as old and tired as the phrase has gotten, there simply wasn't anything else like it on TV.

As the years went on and I became a college student and then entered into ordinary adult life, all that kind of went on the back burner, my clothing and hair style changed to something that was very un-Vice like (but I still always made a point of looking "stylish")... but my love for Miami Vice never went away.

I think nowadays, you can actually pull off the Vice style without getting any funny looks. After three decades of pop culture evolution, much of what made Miami Vice a silly television show to some people (!!) back then has simply been forgotten. If people see you in a light colored linen suit with a pastel T-shirt and tortoise shell Wayfarers, they will probably still think of Miami Vice instantly. The mark that Miami Vice made on pop culture history is simply that indelible. But again, I don't think you'd get laughed at today.

I used to wear the style back then, you know, long hair, Armani blazers, Wayfarers and convertibles etc. Nobody ever laughed at me, nor told I was dressed like Crockett. The fashion used in MV was - actually  - quite common in the mid 80s. Lots of people were wearing textured lightweight or white blazers, pastel colors shirts and tees etc.

I tried to hold back the time and kept wearing that style in the early 90s too, when everything changed and... I must confess, found me laughing at myself sometimes LOL!

In the 90s everybody seemed to disregard anything related to that golden era. Sporting a white blazer was considered like wearing a clown costume.

Today is much different. Anything "vintage" is appealing and accepted as "better", from music to clothes to cars to everything. This site itself, if done in the 90s would have had far less members and surely no young guys.

At least, one good thing in these shitty times ;-)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jerry B. said:

More like George Michael in his Wham! phase ;-) Still 80s though!

He had the boom boom put in his brain :):):) 

Never been laughed at.  I have been complimented though, many times.  When I notice people noticing me, it really appears that they are wishing they had thought of it first. Women, in particular, love it.  If you're dressed in authentic Vice style and they're staring, they're jealous.  They wish they had your cojones to do something that is both non-conventional and awesome-looking.  Trust me.  The style of Vice (seasons 1 and 2) is classy and timeless.         

Edited by mirrorimageegamirorrim
grammar

I have also recieved many compliments over the years, especially recently.. people like to see a young dude who appreciates Vice

• Like 3

Never been laughed at, at least to my face.  In fact I get thumbs up from numerous people.  Also, I have been "hit on" by the ladies when I dress up, even though I wear a wedding ring.  A few were even upset when I turned away their advances. The biggest compliments I have received are from people who look like they are in their 20s.  .  

Actually, they laugh with me, not at me. ( I hope ).   When I go into my bank & announce, " Freeze, Miami Vice".....they all laugh.....but they all know me & my addiction to Miami Vice & Don Johnson.

I wear the white jacket & pastel shirts when we go to a dance or party. Everyone else is pretty colorless, so I give them a look that draws attention instead of ridicule. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Tony, you work in a bank? Great career!

i don't think i've ever seen anyone dressed with the 'vice look'. I lived in L.A. when MV was on and i never saw anybody down there dressed like that. Probably at Hollywood parties or high end type areas in new york or miami was where you'd see it.

I hope I'm not the first to tell anyone that MV style (particularly the "Crockett look") seems to be somewhat of a faux pas in the fashion world in general. I wish I had links, but many style columns I've read about summer fashion over the years have referred to the looks as kind of "what not to do" (white suit with pastel tees, etc.) in summer fashion. That being said, their are MANY of those trends (henley tees, espadrilles, etc.) in stores everywhere. 

I say, like anything else, do what makes you feel good, as long as you're not making someone else feel bad. How could looking like C or T make anyone feel bad?? :p

• Like 2

Well I do drive my Daytona in the warm months and always wear my brown or black Wayfarers...no one's laughed as yet, but some do recognize the car and the connection to the Series. And once from about a block away some guy yelled "That's a serious midlife crisis!"  Guess he assumed my McBurnie was the real deal. ;)

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Well I do drive my Daytona in the warm months and always wear my brown or black Wayfarers...no one's laughed as yet, but some do recognize the car and the connection to the Series. And once from about a block away some guy yelled "That's a serious midlife crisis!"  Guess he assumed my McBurnie was the real deal. ;)

Do you have any pictures of your Daytona? I would love to see them! 

vor 37 Minuten schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

Well I do drive my Daytona in the warm months and always wear my brown or black Wayfarers...no one's laughed as yet, but some do recognize the car and the connection to the Series. And once from about a block away some guy yelled "That's a serious midlife crisis!"  Guess he assumed my McBurnie was the real deal.

eh... convertibles in general are associated with midlife crisis. But that's more and more just a cliché nowadays. Here in Europe, small convertibles are popular these days, many of them are little more than compacts and sub-compacts that their manufacturers have cut open. And as a result of their good affordability, you see more and more twentysomethings in convertibles - people who are decades away from any kind of midlife crisis. Which has brought about new clichés btw... the MINI convertible, for example, is said to be driven only by up and coming twentysomething female executives... (personally, I think the MINI is one of the fugliest cars in existence, without without a solid roof).

The old joke used to be that by the time in your life that you could afford a convertible, you would be too old and frail to drive it with the top down  :)

vor 3 Minuten schrieb nofretz:

If I saw someone driving ANY car from TV it would make my day, esp a MV car!

There's a guy here in the area who's got a Back To The Future DeLorean. And I mean, he's got a freakin' Back To The Future DeLorean... it's got the works, all the LCD displays and other gizmos from the movie car, even a blinking flux capacitor in the back that was crafted with great attention to detail. The only thing missing is the Mr. Fusion kit on the back of the car... :) I saw the car at a classic car meet here last year, and I was like "You gotta be kidding me!!"... honestly, it looked like the guy had stolen the DeLorean right off the movie set... :thumbsup:

• Like 2

i was looking at some white pants the other day at a store. the amazing thing to me is store's like Macy's where they carry really nice clothes and everywhere i go all the grown men i see are dressed like children. flip flops, t-shirt. Basically wearing about $30 worth of clothing.

51 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

There's a guy here in the area who's got a Back To The Future DeLorean. And I mean, he's got a freakin' Back To The Future DeLorean... it's got the works, all the LCD displays and other gizmos from the movie car, even a blinking flux capacitor in the back that was crafted with great attention to detail. The only thing missing is the Mr. Fusion kit on the back of the car... :) I saw the car at a classic car meet here last year, and I was like "You gotta be kidding me!!"... honestly, it looked like the guy had stolen the DeLorean right off the movie set... :thumbsup:

Have you seen the "Wheeler Dealers" car makeover show? They use THE DeLorean parts resource ppl (forgot the name) on that episode. They showed some of the BTtF models they had available. Too cool!

Edited by nofretz

8 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Tony, you work in a bank? me too! xD it's a great career.

No, it's the bank I do business with.........my wife used to work for a bank, though.   I was an installer for Western Electric, ( Lucent Technologies. )

5 hours ago, Daytona74 said:

eh... convertibles in general are associated with midlife crisis. But that's more and more just a cliché nowadays. Here in Europe, small convertibles are popular these days, many of them are little more than compacts and sub-compacts that their manufacturers have cut open. And as a result of their good affordability, you see more and more twentysomethings in convertibles - people who are decades away from any kind of midlife crisis. Which has brought about new clichés btw... the MINI convertible, for example, is said to be driven only by up and coming twentysomething female executives... (personally, I think the MINI is one of the fugliest cars in existence, without without a solid roof).

The old joke used to be that by the time in your life that you could afford a convertible, you would be too old and frail to drive it with the top down  :)

I think the guy that commented about a midlife crisis assumed mine was a genuine Ferrari Daytona GTB 4, and those can run more than $1Mil.  So I don't think the convertible aspect was in his mind as much as the Price Tag most likely was. I've known a few guys who go out and get expensive toys when they start feeling like they are on the other side of the (age) Bell curve.

• Like 1

vor 5 Stunden schrieb Sonny-Burnett:

I think the guy that commented about a midlife crisis assumed mine was a genuine Ferrari Daytona GTB 4, and those can run more than $1Mil.  So I don't think the convertible aspect was in his mind as much as the Price Tag most likely was. I've known a few guys who go out and get expensive toys when they start feeling like they are on the other side of the (age) Bell curve.

Well, that's not to say you don't dream about expensive toys when you're young - and don't have the money.

In that respect, the difference between middle age and being in your early 20s is little more than the fact that a significant number of people simply have the money in their 40s and 50s to make those dreams come true. And then with your kids out of the house and on their own feet eventually at some point, why not treat yourself to some fun. Of course, people normally buy a much more humdrum convertible than a genuine Ferrari Daytona, since  a million dollars is an unattainable ton of money to almost all of us, let alone to be spent on a car. But hey, if you can afford it... and if people give you dirty looks or say not-so-nice things, well, as we say here in Germany, envy is the most honest form of acknowledgement.

(aaand... another actress who got her first big break on Miami Vice... ;))

Edited by Daytona74