What would have Crockett and Tubbs worn in the Winter?

Detective_Crockett

To be honest, their normal clothes were about right for Miami winters.  Tubbs would have been miserable with his outfits in Miami summers.

But Miami does have colder weather occasionally and it is an interesting question what they would have worn.  I can't think of a way to adapt Crockett's classic S1/2 look for colder weather.

Don Johnson said that he initially wanted Crockett to be more kind of a "denim" kind of guy. Not somebody who wore pastel linen suits.

And in season 5, you occasionally see Crockett in a denim jacket or wearing jeans to a linen blazer.

So my guess is that Crockett would have worn more of a denim outfit in a cooler climate zone.

Tubbs probably would have worn a designer wool suit, maybe with a hat and a dark overcoat.

Didn't Tubbs wear a trenchcoat in the opening scene of the pilot?

I was thinking clothes similar to the ones they wore in season 5. Like jeans, leather jackets, shirts, that could just as well have been Crockett and Tubbs "winter look", but only with darker colors instead of the bright ones. 

And when it comes to Tubbs with the clothes he wore, well you could say, he was already prepared for winter. :p  

This was supposed to be for a new thread of mine, but I think, I can say a bit here, I read about this woman, who was working as an extra on Miami Vice talking about how they had to wear "summer clothes" even when it was very cold in Miami.

Edited by summer84

vor 3 Minuten schrieb summer84:

And when it comes to Tubbs with the clothes he wore, well you could say, he was already prepared for winter. :p 

He did wear silk suits a lot. Silk isn't so bad in hot weather. It doesn't beat just wearing a T-shirt and shorts in 105 degrees, but it's not as unbearable as it looks.

3 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

He did wear silk suits a lot. Silk isn't so bad in hot weather. It doesn't beat just wearing a T-shirt and shorts in 105 degrees, but it's not as unbearable as it looks.

Many times Tubbs was all "tucked in" in his suits and ties. Don Johnson has mentioned in interviews how parts of clothing started coming of because of the heat, but I have wondered how come PMT didn't do the same. And also Tubbs was from New York where the weather is cold, so he came from New York to Miami with his cold weather look. :)

36 minutes ago, summer84 said:

(snipped)This was supposed to be for a new thread of mine, but I think, I can say a bit here, I read about this woman, who was working as an extra on Miami Vice talking about how they had to wear "summer clothes" even when it was very cold in Miami.

Of course, "very cold" in Miami would be about 40 degrees F (4.44444 degrees C).  Miamians (is that a word?) might want an overcoat and heavy socks, and I wouldn't want to be in a dress with bare legs, but a lot of people wouldn't consider that temperature "very cold". 

• Administrators

I think he means if they were somewhere cooler, like New York during winter.

Tubbs would wear what he wore in the beginning of the pilot episode, or maybe even the leather jacket he wore in the flashback scene when Calderone killed his brother. Not too sure about Crockett. Maybe turtle neck skivvy's under his woolly blazer. Maybe a v-neck sweater under the blazer. Something like that.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Of course, "very cold" in Miami would be about 40 degrees F (4.44444 degrees C).  Miamians (is that a word?) might want an overcoat and heavy socks, and I wouldn't want to be in a dress with bare legs, but a lot of people wouldn't consider that temperature "very cold". 

Well here in Melbourne, Australia, that's pretty much around-about the coldest we get here. Our coldest night in winter is about -1C. But most of the time our low is around 4 - 8. So I consider that to be very cold, as well as Miamians. :)

Tubbs did wear New York style in Miami quite a lot in the earlier seasons, I think Season 3 was when he finally mellowed to the Miami look.

Tubbs wore only suits and ties in Season 3. It's typical New York look. He had Miami look in first two seasons.

Edited by Crockettt

Holy God Jerry....seriously once again you provide us with a picture, I'm seriously convinced your related to Don or even Brett Hart? Lol! You actually look like Don in the Nash Bridges days.

7 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Well what can I say, (without saying to much) the woman was shivering, so I understood that from reading as very cold. :)

2 hours ago, summer84 said:

Well what can I say, (without saying to much) the woman was shivering, so I understood that from reading as very cold. :)

LOL I'm pretty sure I know what you mean :)   And again I would definitely not want to be standing around in 40-degree weather in a dress, with bare arms and legs (or sockless).  

I can remember watching DJ's movie Cease Fire, which was shot in the Miami area and apparently at least part of it took place in the winter.  People were wearing jackets and warmer clothing rather than shorts and sandals.  So, not meaning to knock anyone complaining about the cold and not being dressed for it.  And of course people become (somewhat) used to the weather in places where they live.  If it was 90 degrees or more 9 months out of the year (or whatever), then 40 degrees would be freezing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

Holy God Jerry....seriously once again you provide us with a picture, I'm seriously convinced your related to Don or even Brett Hart? Lol! You actually look like Don in the Nash Bridges days.

Detective_Crockett, thanks for your comment ;-)
I'm not sure about Brett Hart, but yes, my winter look resembles Nash a bit.

As far as the weather, I've been in Miami on February 2002 and I remember I wore bermudas, flip flop, tees and/or shirts plus a Panama hat sometimes ;-)
I've been swimming in the Ocean and everything... In other words, it was pure summer.

6 hours ago, Crockettt said:

Tubbs wore only suits and ties in Season 3. It's typical New York look. He had Miami look in first two seasons.

In "Calderon's Demise", when he sees Angelina & in "Smuggler's Blues", Tubbs is dressed in tropical style.  :cool:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1.8.2016 at 6:09 AM, James said:

I think he means if they were somewhere cooler, like New York during winter.

Tubbs would wear what he wore in the beginning of the pilot episode, or maybe even the leather jacket he wore in the flashback scene when Calderone killed his brother. Not too sure about Crockett. Maybe turtle neck skivvy's under his woolly blazer. Maybe a v-neck sweater under the blazer. Something like that.

Not all of us in this community have the luxury to live in FL or CA or other mellow climate areas, so also I am thinking of somewhere where the water's cold and the drinks are warm, I mean, like real chilly, as where I live it gets down to 5°F or below and the sweater under wool blazer concept won't hold up for even a very quick cigarette break. I've been wondering ever since how Crockett would cope with such conditions wardrobe-wise and I'm not talking about the denim and leather jacket stuff when he was off-duty but when he's undercover.

Edited by daytona365

When I lived in Miami it was NEVER cold.

I live in central Florida now and it only gets cold in February for maybe 2 weeks and when I say cold it never really dips below 53 degrees so jacket is all that is required. Still you can spot vacationers because in the winter time here they wear shorts and sandals!

Miami never had seasons except for the rainy season where it would rain every day for a month!

Edited by Boca Raton

32 minutes ago, Boca Raton said:

When I lived in Miami it was NEVER cold.

I live in central Florida now and it only gets cold in February for maybe 2 weeks and when I say cold it never really dips below 53 degrees so jacket is all that is required. Still you can spot vacationers because in the winter time here they wear shorts and sandals!

Miami never had seasons except for the rainy season where it would rain every day for a month!

Yes I’ve felt cold at times in January and February in South Florida and Miami but nothing like as cold as it gets in California that time of year :hippie: