A little token of my appreciation

Philippe

Here is a track a created not so long ago, it's inspired by the great Jan Hammer soundtrack and you can download it for free!

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Dadrian said:

This is good. Thanks for sharing. 

Thank you so much Dadrian, coming from somebody who has made countless beautiful re-recordings of Jan Hammer and Tim Truman songs this is a huge compliment! Thanks Pal!

• Like 1

Thank you, Mvnyc & Jerry B. 

James, I used FL Studio (Fruity Edition) with Ichiro Toda's fabulous and free Synth 1 vst - also the DX10 with the Jazz Guitar patch and the drums I programmed with my Yamaha QY100.

Victor! :radio:

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Thank you, Mvnyc & Jerry B. 

James, I used FL Studio (Fruity Edition) with Ichiro Toda's fabulous and free Synth 1 vst - also the DX10 with the Jazz Guitar patch and the drums I programmed with my Yamaha QY100.

Victor! :radio:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I already have FL Studio but it's so hard to get a good synth these days. Everything I find is a bit too modern sounding for my liking or amateur/cheapish, and I'm not really educated on how to create/edit sounds with the knob things. :p

1 minute ago, James said:

Thanks, I'll check it out. It's so hard to get a good synth these days. Everything I find is a bit too modern sounding for my liking. :p

If you're looking for a great free 80s sounding synth, make sure to check out the SQ8L vst - it's a emulation of the classic Ensoniq SQ80.

• Like 1

If you're looking to make Jan Hammer's typical bassline in Synth 1 - just choose a bass patch and set you're appregiator to TYPE: RANDOM, RANGE: 2 OCT and beat: to 16

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Philippe said:

If you're looking for a great free 80s sounding synth, make sure to check out the SQ8L vst - it's a emulation of the classic Ensoniq SQ80.

Ah, I already have the SQ8L. I actually find it quite useful sometimes. I remade Out of Touch by Hall & Oates with it.

12 minutes ago, Philippe said:

If you're looking to make Jan Hammer's typical bassline in Synth 1 - just choose a bass patch and set you're appregiator to TYPE: RANDOM, RANGE: 2 OCT and beat: to 16

Alright thanks. I'll play around with it.

Bassline's aren't what I have problems with, I can make some killer Phil Collins sounding beats, get a good baseline going - It's mostly the synth part where I get stuck at. Can't quite get the sound I'm looking for. :)

Maybe I should go back to Ableton Live. I'm more comfortable and know my way around that program. I'm fairly new to FL Studio, and it doesn't seem like it's working out for me. 

10 minutes ago, James said:

Ah, I already have the SQ8L. I actually find it quite useful sometimes. I remade Out of Touch by Hall & Oates with it.

Alright thanks. I'll play around with it.

Bassline's aren't what I have problems with, I can make some killer Phil Collins sounding beats, get a good baseline going - It's mostly the synth part where I get stuck at. Can't quite get the sound I'm looking for. :)

Maybe I should go back to Ableton Live. I'm more comfortable and know my way around that program. I'm fairly new to FL Studio, and it doesn't seem like it's working out for me. 

I know what you mean with getting stuck looking for sounds, I guess that's a very common problem with synth musicians. Like everybody I have been through my phase of wanting to have a zillion of synths for sounds myself, but I came to the conclusion that I really do not need so much and synth 1 provides a solid base that can cover most of the situations.

I believe Jan Hammer used Moog for bass, a dx synth for lead sounds and a Jupiter8 or Juno for the strings/pad sounds and probably a TR808 for drums, in combination with a Fairlight for those Ahh choir sounds among other things.

Oh, you should absolutely use what you feel the most comfortable with, today's DAW's have all gone trough some great evolution and they are all more than adequate to make songs. I use FL Studio because I have using it since the mid 90s and as such I know it like the back of my hand.

• Administrators

Yeah... I get a good melody going, then gotta go through 1000s of synths looking for one which suits what you're going for. Gets draining and headache inducing. Maybe it'll be a good idea to go back to the basics. 

Have you used Zebra2? The default pack seems to produce some great 80s sounds. I think I got it a while ago, don't know, just found it in my VST list. Or perhaps my brother got it lol. He's the reason why I mess around in these programs, because he makes house music. Sounds much more professional than my junk. xD

Yes, I've heard Zebra2 and most of the stuff released by U-he is pretty solid.

A problem I have is that since I do it all by myself, I get to hear the track way to many times and by the time I think it's ready I almost hate it because I heard it so much during the whole composing and creation stage.