Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck at The Hollywood Bowl?

Dadrian

I just got an email saying they are playing there tomorrow night (8/10). Anybody else got any info on this? I may have to catch a flight!

Here's an amateur video already posted. I figured they would do this one and/or Star Cycle. Where's the keytar?? ;(

Always liked Jeff Beck. Great video and cool story! I am so happy he is also a piston head like me!!!

Life doesn't many virtuosos' but Beck is one of the better guitarist of the rock era for sure.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

...Beck is one of the better guitarist of the rock era for sure.

Absolutely. He and Jan are both extremely important figures in the history of their respective instruments. 

Yes! Great stuff. I'm waiting for Ferrariman to see this post. He saw them perform together in a bar in NY back in the day. Cool story!

• 5 months later...

How di the two actually get together in the first place? I just recently got to listen to Jeff Beck's 85 album (Flash) that features Jan. The song Escape was written completely by Jan and is sooo Miami Vice. :D Even won a Grammy, I read on wikipedia? Amazing. The whole album actually sounds more like Nile Rodgers (from Chic) and sure enough, he was the producer. But hey, to me that's cool - Rodgers and Hammer on one album, can't get any better than that. :D

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

I think they first met at a hotel where they were both staying for shows they had in that town--maybe a festival or something. Maybe some JH buffs here could verify this. 

• Administrators
On 8/12/2016 at 0:17 PM, Dadrian said:

Yes! Great stuff. I'm waiting for Ferrariman to see this post. He saw them perform together in a bar in NY back in the day. Cool story!

Not with Jeff Beck but I did see Jan and a small group of musicians at a bar in New York City called The Lone Star. Unfortunately that was back in 1980, before his Vice days. I don't even know if the place still exists. At the time he played stuff from "Oh Yeah"  and "The First Seven Days"   He played 2 sets.  Myself and a friend stayed for both 'til almost 2 in the morning. The Lone Star was a very small place. We sat at the bar with our backs to the bar, facing the stage. Jan was literally less than 10 feet away from me. Spoke to him briefly afterwards. Don't have a clue what I said! But I did get his autograph.  I had been a fan of Jan's since his days with The Mahavishnu Orchestra and I wouldn't trade that experience for any other big name concert!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Not with Jeff Beck but I did see Jan and a small group of musicians at a bar in New York City called The Lone Star. Unfortunately that was back in 1980, before his Vice days. I don't even know if the place still exists. At the time he played stuff from "Oh Yeah"  and "The First Seven Days"   He played 2 sets.  Myself and a friend stayed for both 'til almost 2 in the morning. The Lone Star was a very small place. We sat at the bar with our backs to the bar, facing the stage. Jan was literally less than 10 feet away from me. Spoke to him briefly afterwards. Don't have a clue what I said! But I did get his autograph.  I had been a fan of Jan's since his days with The Mahavishnu Orchestra and I wouldn't trade that experience for any other big name concert!

I didn't know (or didn't remember) you saw Jan Hammer live! Man, "The First Seven Days" is one of my favorite albums of all time! Considering not only Jan Hammer's discography, but everyone's discography. There's not a single track there I don't love it, but "Darkness/Earth in search of a sun" and "The Seventh Day"  are the ones I hear more often.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...