Dadrian

Jan Hammer and Jeff Beck at The Hollywood Bowl?

Recommended Posts

Dadrian    763
Dadrian

I just got an email saying they are playing there tomorrow night (8/10). Anybody else got any info on this? I may have to catch a flight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice    100
AzVice

i looked it up for tickets and it shows jeff beck and buddy guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian

I saw that, too. I've been to shows where they have "surprise" guests. We'll see I guess...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sonny-Burnett    611
Sonny-Burnett

Is anybody going to this? Wish I could..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian

"Wish-I-was" ;):) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian

Here's an amateur video already posted. I figured they would do this one and/or Star Cycle. Where's the keytar?? ;(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stinger390X    178
Stinger390X

Always liked Jeff Beck. Great video and cool story! I am so happy he is also a piston head like me!!!

Life doesn't many virtuosos' but Beck is one of the better guitarist of the rock era for sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian
5 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

...Beck is one of the better guitarist of the rock era for sure.

Absolutely. He and Jan are both extremely important figures in the history of their respective instruments. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice    100
AzVice

this was out of left field to  me, then I look it up and they've worked together on several albums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian

Yes! Great stuff. I'm waiting for Ferrariman to see this post. He saw them perform together in a bar in NY back in the day. Cool story!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Den Taylor    76
Den Taylor

How di the two actually get together in the first place? I just recently got to listen to Jeff Beck's 85 album (Flash) that features Jan. The song Escape was written completely by Jan and is sooo Miami Vice. :D Even won a Grammy, I read on wikipedia? Amazing. The whole album actually sounds more like Nile Rodgers (from Chic) and sure enough, he was the producer. But hey, to me that's cool - Rodgers and Hammer on one album, can't get any better than that. :D

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dadrian    763
Dadrian

I think they first met at a hotel where they were both staying for shows they had in that town--maybe a festival or something. Maybe some JH buffs here could verify this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ferrariman    379
Ferrariman
On 8/12/2016 at 0:17 PM, Dadrian said:

Yes! Great stuff. I'm waiting for Ferrariman to see this post. He saw them perform together in a bar in NY back in the day. Cool story!

Not with Jeff Beck but I did see Jan and a small group of musicians at a bar in New York City called The Lone Star. Unfortunately that was back in 1980, before his Vice days. I don't even know if the place still exists. At the time he played stuff from "Oh Yeah"  and "The First Seven Days"   He played 2 sets.  Myself and a friend stayed for both 'til almost 2 in the morning. The Lone Star was a very small place. We sat at the bar with our backs to the bar, facing the stage. Jan was literally less than 10 feet away from me. Spoke to him briefly afterwards. Don't have a clue what I said! But I did get his autograph.  I had been a fan of Jan's since his days with The Mahavishnu Orchestra and I wouldn't trade that experience for any other big name concert!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ivoryjones    163
ivoryjones
2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

Not with Jeff Beck but I did see Jan and a small group of musicians at a bar in New York City called The Lone Star. Unfortunately that was back in 1980, before his Vice days. I don't even know if the place still exists. At the time he played stuff from "Oh Yeah"  and "The First Seven Days"   He played 2 sets.  Myself and a friend stayed for both 'til almost 2 in the morning. The Lone Star was a very small place. We sat at the bar with our backs to the bar, facing the stage. Jan was literally less than 10 feet away from me. Spoke to him briefly afterwards. Don't have a clue what I said! But I did get his autograph.  I had been a fan of Jan's since his days with The Mahavishnu Orchestra and I wouldn't trade that experience for any other big name concert!

I didn't know (or didn't remember) you saw Jan Hammer live! Man, "The First Seven Days" is one of my favorite albums of all time! Considering not only Jan Hammer's discography, but everyone's discography. There's not a single track there I don't love it, but "Darkness/Earth in search of a sun" and "The Seventh Day"  are the ones I hear more often.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now