Jan Hammer tracks that sound like songs used in the episode.

Detective_Crockett

As we know there are tracks that sound like songs in the episodes, the only 2 i can name right now are in No Exit..the track at the beginning sounds exactly like I Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins, and the track by him also in Definitely Miami..sounds a lot like Godley and Creme's Cry.

Anyone else got any other tracks that sound like the songs in episodes that Mr Hammer did? 

@Dadrian this is right up your street my man. XD 

Idk about songs in the same episode, but I hear countless similarities to other songs in his cues. Most are probably coincidental. 

Jan used a shakuhachi sound in "Better Living Through Chemistry" that was similar to the one at the beginning of Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer" from that episode. I always thought that was a nice touch. 

• Like 1

Short guitar cue from Dutch Oven playing just before Diamond Field by Pat Benatar. It sounds like nice intro for this song. 

Edited by Crockettt
  • Like 1

I think Jan paid attention to the guest stars background, too. Like the "rude drums" (Keyboard Magazine, 1985) from Phil the Shill, and the beautiful haunting chords (complete with a saxophone sample) in "Junk Love". He knew those musicians would appreciate those elements. I've often wondered if they even watched the episodes they starred in. 

Also, the acoustic guitar samples for "El Viejo" were very fitting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

As we know there are tracks that sound like songs in the episodes, the only 2 i can name right now are in No Exit..the track at the beginning sounds exactly like I Don't Care Anymore by Phil Collins, and the track by him also in Definitely Miami..sounds a lot like Godley and Creme's Cry.

I thought we discussed this recently in another thread and decided that the Def Miami piece was just an extended version of "Cry", not Hammer.  I searched and searched but I can't find that discussion.

Hammer talked about the "No Exit" music in an interview:

Jan_No_Exit.png

mentioned in this thread:  http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/1755-interesting-piece-of-jh-trivia/

full 1985 Keyboard Magazine interview here:  http://www.janhammer.com/archive

• 2 months later...

Yes, from that interview it is quite clear that Jan did those similarities on purpose. So that it would blend together and really set the tone of the episode. I think he only did that with prominent songs and artists though - maybe to pay tribute to them. And yeah, while Cry and Definitely Miami have "matching" melodies Definitely Miami is Definitely Jan Hammer and Definitely the better song too (pun intended and IMHO *grin*).