Which JH tune is the most definitive of an episode?

mirrorimageegamirorrim

In other words, which cue reminds you the most of the episode from which it came?  For me, it's theme from Phil the Shill; Dadrian has recorded it and calls it "Black Mercedes".  I'm not sure if this is the official title or just what he calls it but I'm sure everybody here knows the tune I'm referring to.  This music is so intimately tied to the episode that, when I hear it, it's as if the episode flashes before my eyes.  I watch it in my mind.  Do any JH songs do this for you? 

• Like 2

Definitely Miami for me!

I actually named my Phil the Shill cover "Phil the Shill". I believe Rick was the first to cover this cue, and he actually dubbed it "Black Mercedes", and that's what many of us (even myself :) ) still call it now. I've even seen posts of my cover on YouTube with the "Black Mercedes" title. It really makes more sense that way, and leaves room for the other (more upbeat) theme to be called "Phil the Shill". Idk what I was thinking on some of my titles :) "Remission"?? :):):) That was actually a biblical reference--"...remission of sins". I only recently noticed Robbie says "it's like a cancer..." in that scene. Total coincidence. Anyway, it's Robbie's Theme (or Buddies), and one of those is what I should have called it. 

Back to the subject: I know some don't care for Definitely Miami, but for me it's the perfect title for the perfect episode with the perfect soundtrack. 

• Like 4

I agree - the "Phil the Shill" theme is the Hammer tune most definitively tied to an episode.

The two others that I find inseparable from their original episode are "Rain" in "Milk Run"  and "Evan".

• Like 3

I know you asked for a Jan Hammer tune .....but I just had to say Glen Frey's "Smuggler's Blues"  defines an episode more than any other!

• Like 2

On 8/18/2016 at 2:00 PM, AzVice said:

geez so many although I am leaning towards "Payback"

Great choice!  In the part where that music is playing in the teaser I've always thought it looked like frost on the ground when Crockett is walking across the prison yard.  What is that stuff supposed to be, salt? Limestone maybe? 

53 minutes ago, AzVice said:

I don't know, looks too big to be frost.

Yeah, it's definitely too big to be frost but it always reminds me of it because it makes the whole yard look white.  It's a striking image.   

I think "Golden Triangle" is the most definitive Jan Hammer score to me. Like I've said in another thread, I also think it's one of the best he ever did. (It was reused in "The Savage"; wasn't it?)

Also, "Castillo's Theme", from "Bushido" gets my vote. Even though that theme was reused a couple of times. It should have been made into its own track on the "Complete Collection", similar to "Crockett's Theme". It's nice that it was kind of included as the second part of "Russian Story", but first of all, it took me over a decade of owning the Complete Collection before I realized that it's tucked away in the second half of "Russian Story", and also, the melody of "Castillo's Theme" definitely would have been strong enough for its own track. And it should have been as close as possible to the score in the episode.

Also, "Phil The Shill" is a really pretty nicely done track and you have no way of not thinking of the episode when you're playing it. I've got Dadrian's version in my "Jan Hammer" MP3 folder on the SD card in my car radio... whenever I'm in a "Jan Hammer" mood, that is one of the tracks that I enjoy listening to.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, mirrorimageegamirorrim said:

In the part where that music is playing in the teaser I've always thought it looked like frost on the ground when Crockett is walking across the prison yard.  What is that stuff supposed to be, salt? Limestone maybe? 

Interesting, I've never noticed that but I see it now.  This scene was filmed out in western Miami near the Everglades.  There are a number of limestone quarries and cement plants in that area.  That is not too far from the place where Ted Nugent was ripping off drug dealers and burying their cars in "Definitely Miami".

• Like 3

I think I'll have to go with, Rain. It's such a beautiful, but still somehow sad and haunting little theme. Whenever I hear it, I think of Sonny "staring right in to the mirror" with the whole undercover thing, and seeing much of himself in the way Artie gets taken away by the darker and more "glamourous" side of the city:

I first heard a small portion of Rain, in the end scene in episode 2 of Season 1: Heart of Darkness

The exchange between Artie and Sonny was some brilliant stuff, Ed O'Neill delivered the lines with perfection and even though the cue is rather short, it fitted so well with the scene.

Artie Rollins: I guess I was out there, huh?

Sonny Crockett: Well, that's where guys like us are paid to work.

Artie Rollins: I can handle the bureau. I can the take heat. 

Sonny Crockett: What's gonna happen with your wife?

Artie Rollins: I don't know. I don't know if I can go back to my wife.

Artie Rollins: That life. You know, It's like I have been riding an adrenaline high. All that money, all those women. But after a while, all the things that went before, got like uh, got like...

Artie Rollins: I don't know. 

Rain starts up around 00:49

It is not the excact same version, but the closest I could find to the one used in the scene mentioned above. 

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 3

I think that all of Jan's cues are superbly paired with the episodes, but to me, 'Marina' instantly brings to mind 'The Great McCarthy', a wonderful nautical episode (and Dadrian's rendition of it is excellent). 

Special mention: Jan's 'world-music' suites, i.e. 'Cool Runnin'', 'Golden Triangle' and 'Colombia' are instantly recognisable -- and classy!

• Like 3

vor 3 Stunden schrieb ArtieRollins:

I first heard a small portion of Rain, in the end scene in episode 2 of Season 1: Heart of Darkness

The exchange between Artie and Sonny was some brilliant stuff, Ed O'Neill delivered the lines with perfection and even though the cue is rather short, it fitted so well with the scene.

It's rare for a TV series to hit the ground running right with its first regular episode. "Heart of Darkness" was a masterpiece of story writing. The show was on top of its game there without even fully having settled into itself yet.

Speaking of early episodes, "Cool Running" is also nicely done, from the eponymous episode.

Personally, at least in accordance with the song's title, I think the song "Colombia" at the beginning of "Baby Blues" is spot on - Mr. Hammer uses a Quena flute starting at 1:26 . . . another Tour de Force by a GENIUS.

Edited by Mister Roman

So many - probrably "Rites of Passage" the bluesy version used in The Prodigal Son or the snippets of the theme used in Lend Me an Ear (teaser) and Mirror Image

Has the "Lend Me an Ear" theme ever been rerecorded ? released ? :D:):)

One of favorite 'Vice scenes ever is when Crockett and Tubbs are slowing walking backwards .......and then Evan steps in front of the bullet at the end of the episode!!  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I go with Pedrosa's theme in Heroes of the Revolution. That tune is so dark, intense and menacing! Unfortunately it was only used three times during that episode and rather briefly too. But the first time I heard it, it deeply struck a chord with me. And it fits perfecty with Pedrosa's fear and anger when he finds out about his old nemesis Klaus Herzog. Or when that guy takes cyanide at the airport parking lot...

Golden Triangle would be my next, simply because it's such a unique piece of music and the title is in the episode too.
Also, Voodo Dance from Calderone's Return comes to mind. The many layers in that song are amazing and that mardi gras like scene is so memorable...:radio:

Edited by Den Taylor
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Am 18.8.2016 um 04:23 schrieb Dadrian:

Definitely Miami for me!

I actually named my Phil the Shill cover "Phil the Shill". I believe Rick was the first to cover this cue, and he actually dubbed it "Black Mercedes", and that's what many of us (even myself :) ) still call it now. I've even seen posts of my cover on YouTube with the "Black Mercedes" title. It really makes more sense that way, and leaves room for the other (more upbeat) theme to be called "Phil the Shill". Idk what I was thinking on some of my titles :) "Remission"?? :):):) That was actually a biblical reference--"...remission of sins". I only recently noticed Robbie says "it's like a cancer..." in that scene. Total coincidence. Anyway, it's Robbie's Theme (or Buddies), and one of those is what I should have called it. 

Back to the subject: I know some don't care for Definitely Miami, but for me it's the perfect title for the perfect episode with the perfect soundtrack. 

Speaking of Remission, Dadrian...
How did you do the rhythm guitar in that cover song?
From what I recall Jan said he was never able to do rhythm guitar properly on his synths so he used an acutal guitar for such parts.
Did you use one too?

Jan said he used an actual guitar to play the rhythm part on the MV Theme. 

It sounds like on Buddies he is either:

1. Using a sample he made of an actual guitar crunch sound on the Fairlight

2. Playing an actual guitar live

3. Some memorymoog distortion guitar sounds

4  all or some of the above  

The more I listen to it over the years, it sounds like #4

My cover is a mixture of me playing an actual guitar live, mixed with Mute Monster (or something like that) patch from the TRITON--both thru the Rockman distortion generator. There was also some modulation on mine. Maybe chorus and/or MXR Flanger. Hard to remember. Already 10 years ago! Geez. Hard to believe!