summer84

'By Hooker by Crook' Writer John Schulian's story

Recommended Posts

vicegirl85

Interesting!  thanks for sharing :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84

I came across this interview a few days ago and also an "after the fame" look back on "Vice"

 

The part about MV ends at 11:37, but the whole interview is interesting. Especially Don mentioning how "Sometimes Michael Mann would send first time directors, who knew very little about filmmaking."  

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice

thanks , both very interesting. kind of interesting about not meeting Mann for many months. gives an insight into what was happening with the show at that time. Also about David Burke. he wrote on Crime Story too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Of course he went to be a writer also in Season 4 writing some episodes and some teleplay for some episodes:D:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
19 hours ago, summer84 said:

I came across this interview a few days ago and also an "after the fame" look back on "Vice"

 

The part about MV ends at 11:37, but the whole interview is interesting. Especially Don mentioning how "Sometimes Michael Mann would send first time directors, who knew very little about filmmaking."  

Very interesting.

That is something I noticed the number of directors they used on the show was huge - some of course went on to direct and produce feature films.:D:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84
2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Of course he went to be a writer also in Season 4 writing some episodes and some teleplay for some episodes:D:D

Yes, I had forgotten, he was also a writer on Miami Vice in season 4. :) 

These are all of the episodes, John Schulian worked on.

23mq8uc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
19 hours ago, summer84 said:

Yes, I had forgotten, he was also a writer on Miami Vice in season 4. :) 

These are all of the episodes, John Schulian worked on.

23mq8uc.jpg

Some not bad episodes he wrote . He wasnt there for Season 5 as Peter McCabe became the Executive Story Editor ( he first wrote "Love at First Sight" from Season 4 )

:D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
airtommy

Wow, that writer worked on many shows I watched - Vice, Crime Story, Wiseguy, Midnight Caller.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
summer84

I haven't watched those before, (other than MV) but I watched some other shows, I discovered, he also wrote for/created Xena, Hercules and a little of the TV show JAG.

Edited by summer84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice

I don't know about other people but I always read the credits . it's interesting to see names from different shows (and sometimes recycled storylines by those people. If you've watched Magnum P.I.  and NCIS there was a big one this past season ) for instance, ken solarz who wrote for Miami vice and crime story, now produces Hawaii Five-0.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5
2 hours ago, AzVice said:

I don't know about other people but I always read the credits . it's interesting to see names from different shows (and sometimes recycled storylines by those people. If you've watched Magnum P.I.  and NCIS there was a big one this past season ) for instance, ken solarz who wrote for Miami vice and crime story, now produces Hawaii Five-0.

Wow didnt know that Ken Solarz was one of the show's  runner in Season 5

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AzVice

I noticed years ago Carlton Cuse wrote a couple episodes of Crime Story, then was a big part of Nash Bridges. he's done a lot since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Matt5

Some of the Season 5 writing staff is interesting. There was Ken Solarz we mentioned previouly and the Season seemed to be run by Robert Ward and Scott Shepherd. Peter McCabe was promoted to Executive Story Editor for this dark hard -edged Season

Scott Shepherd came from Matt Houston and The Equalizer- whereas Robert Ward was not only credited with being Co-Executive Producer of Season 5 he wrote on average 1 in 3 or 4 episodes . Robert Ward was a writer earlier with Hill Street Blues.:D:D

Edited by Matt5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now