'By Hooker by Crook' Writer John Schulian's story

summer84

I came across this interview a few days ago and also an "after the fame" look back on "Vice"

The part about MV ends at 11:37, but the whole interview is interesting. Especially Don mentioning how "Sometimes Michael Mann would send first time directors, who knew very little about filmmaking."  

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

thanks , both very interesting. kind of interesting about not meeting Mann for many months. gives an insight into what was happening with the show at that time. Also about David Burke. he wrote on Crime Story too.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, summer84 said:

I came across this interview a few days ago and also an "after the fame" look back on "Vice"

The part about MV ends at 11:37, but the whole interview is interesting. Especially Don mentioning how "Sometimes Michael Mann would send first time directors, who knew very little about filmmaking."  

Very interesting.

That is something I noticed the number of directors they used on the show was huge - some of course went on to direct and produce feature films.:D:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Of course he went to be a writer also in Season 4 writing some episodes and some teleplay for some episodes:D:D

Yes, I had forgotten, he was also a writer on Miami Vice in season 4. :) 

These are all of the episodes, John Schulian worked on.

23mq8uc.jpg

19 hours ago, summer84 said:

Yes, I had forgotten, he was also a writer on Miami Vice in season 4. :) 

These are all of the episodes, John Schulian worked on.

23mq8uc.jpg

Some not bad episodes he wrote . He wasnt there for Season 5 as Peter McCabe became the Executive Story Editor ( he first wrote "Love at First Sight" from Season 4 )

:D

• Like 1

I haven't watched those before, (other than MV) but I watched some other shows, I discovered, he also wrote for/created Xena, Hercules and a little of the TV show JAG.

Edited by summer84

I don't know about other people but I always read the credits . it's interesting to see names from different shows (and sometimes recycled storylines by those people. If you've watched Magnum P.I.  and NCIS there was a big one this past season ) for instance, ken solarz who wrote for Miami vice and crime story, now produces Hawaii Five-0.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AzVice said:

I don't know about other people but I always read the credits . it's interesting to see names from different shows (and sometimes recycled storylines by those people. If you've watched Magnum P.I.  and NCIS there was a big one this past season ) for instance, ken solarz who wrote for Miami vice and crime story, now produces Hawaii Five-0.

Wow didnt know that Ken Solarz was one of the show's  runner in Season 5

• Like 1

I noticed years ago Carlton Cuse wrote a couple episodes of Crime Story, then was a big part of Nash Bridges. he's done a lot since.

Some of the Season 5 writing staff is interesting. There was Ken Solarz we mentioned previouly and the Season seemed to be run by Robert Ward and Scott Shepherd. Peter McCabe was promoted to Executive Story Editor for this dark hard -edged Season

Scott Shepherd came from Matt Houston and The Equalizer- whereas Robert Ward was not only credited with being Co-Executive Producer of Season 5 he wrote on average 1 in 3 or 4 episodes . Robert Ward was a writer earlier with Hill Street Blues.:D:D

Edited by Matt5