My Crockett Style Sunglass Collection

MTVcops

Hi, im new at this forum but I've reading it for years, also the thing about Burnett shades.

I had had my onw research and sorry but I don't think they are Revo or Persol, instead I have my own opinion.

Later if you guys want I will post it with pics and my own sunglasess.

And thanks for admitting me here!

Edited by Rburns

On 9/25/2016 at 2:45 PM, MTVcops said:

I'm not claiming anything, this info came from an actual prop supplier for Vice. Is is true, don't know nor due I care. I'm just stating what I was told, below are some pictures, you be the judge.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

The glasses on DJ are different that the Persols in the pictures. Where the arm attached to the front it is allot lower on the Persol vs the glasses DJ is wearing and the arm appears to be of a different color/material. And they appear to have that "Ray Ban" lean to them. The Persols in the pictures and the Persols I own sit on my face differently than my Wayafrers. The lens frames are definitely different as the Persols are much thicker/heaver looking than what DJ is wearing in the pictures above. 

I don't know, but to me it almost looks like Revo lens frames with black Ray Ban arms attached and the silver rivet on the arm plugged or a blank arms ordered due to using the Revo hinge. Based on my recent scientific experiment, lining up my Persols, Revos and Wayfarers, I can definitely see a TV show swapping out the arms to lose the name on the side, plus is could also be a fit issue with DJ as well that maybe he likes the rake of the Ray Ban's vs the Persols.

Edited by king77

1 hour ago, king77 said:

The glasses on DJ are different that the Persols in the pictures. Where the arm attached to the front it is allot lower on the Persol vs the glasses DJ is wearing and the arm appears to be of a different color/material. And they appear to have that "Ray Ban" lean to them. The Persols in the pictures and the Persols I own sit on my face differently than my Wayafrers. The lens frames are definitely different as the Persols are much thicker/heaver looking than what DJ is wearing in the pictures above. 

I don't know, but to me it almost looks like Revo lens frames with black Ray Ban arms attached and the silver rivet on the arm plugged or a blank arms ordered due to using the Revo hinge. Based on my recent scientific experiment, lining up my Persols, Revos and Wayfarers, I can definitely see a TV show swapping out the arms to lose the name on the side, plus is could also be a fit issue with DJ as well that maybe he likes the rake of the Ray Ban's vs the Persols.

Have a look at the thread below. To me C&Bs photos lay it out pretty clearly. I suppose the propmaster could have swapped out arms to Raybans but why would he, and then I would suspect the fit would also not align perfectly against the Revo frame as the thickness and points of attachment would not align exactly. It could give a mismatched or even lopsided look in swapping arms with different frames.

Seems to me  that in his Burnett persona, he is wearing the much thinner framed/arms Revo 840/001, with the Revo logo removed and the pins marked out with a black fine point marker to give a clean look. Look at the tapering of the arm bend/shape just before the ear curve on the screencap vs the photo of the Revos in C&Bs thread..they are identical. And the Revo arms fit high on the frame, as you pointed out, and are MUCH thinner than the Persol model 09219s in this thread, as are the frames themselves also much thinner in the screenshots. I just don't see these Persol 09219s as being used in the Burnett arc.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

Ok, here is my opinion, Burnett did not wore the Revo or Persol shades, actualy I think he wore the Ray Ban cats 3000 due to various things.

Several members talk about the Revo crew in the set of MV in that episode, but it HAS to be impossible to be the Revo sunglasses (I also have a pair of them so I can check them perfectly).

I will try to explain my point of view.

First, its logical to think that the Crockett/Burnett character has some kind of contract with Ray Ban to wear their sunglasses, so the cats 3000 are probably to be.

Now I'm goint with the pics, here is the bridge nose in the episode, notice how narrow is the shape, also the arms that are straight without any curve like the Revo, and the hinges that are not metallic, they are made of plastic/nylon one piece of the frame and arm.

I've remarked what I'm trying to make obvious, that the Revo and Persol don't have that shape but the cats does and one last thing, when he is with Alejandro by the pool, pay atention when he takes off the glasses, they rebound so elastic and the Revo one you know doesn't have that elasticity because they are so solid, try to do that and probably you'll finnish with a pair of sunglasses broken.

I'm gonna post some pics from the Revo and the Cats to spot the diffenrence I tried to make noticeable.

Also I will post a pic comparising the Revo and the RB cats3000.

Sorry for posting this way and double posting the pics I don't know this happens when editing the post, I would like to be more detail with a pic and a description but for now I only know to post all the pics one after other.

And sorry for my english if I've made any mistake, not native but it's something I was waiting for posting for a couple of years till now I've done.

revoo.JPG.48625c08de2a0d34d41f93e4e23815

puente.jpg

patilla.png

patilla2.png

DSC_1662.JPG

DSC_1663.JPG

visagra.png

revo-sunglasses-10.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Ray Ban CATS 3000 w1037.jpg

ray-ban blue mirror cats sunglasses_3.jpg59162cf828f7d_ray-banbluemirrorcatssungl

revoo.JPG

puente.jpg

patilla.png

patilla2.png

DSC_1662.JPG

DSC_1663.JPG

visagra.png

revo-sunglasses-10.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Ray Ban CATS 3000 w1037.jpg

ray-ban blue mirror cats sunglasses_3.jpg

ray-ban blue mirror cats sunglasses_6.jpg

Edited by Rburns
  • Like 1

The Cats do show a resemblance for sure,  as do the Persols but I stand by the Revos as the screen worn shades.  The biggest difference again,  as with the Persols, is the thickness of the arms,  particularly where they meet the frame. The Cats arms are MUCH wider than the Revos and compared to the glasses in the screen caps. Revo arms are thinner,  and the taper near the ear bend is identical to the glasses in the Burnett screen caps. There is just no mistaking this if you look closely. 

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

6 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

The Cats do show a resemblance for sure,  as do the Persols but I stand by the Revos as the screen worn shades.  The biggest difference again,  as with the Persols, is the thickness of the arms,  particularly where they meet the frame. The Cats arms are MUCH wider than the Revos and compared to the glasses in the screen caps. Revo arms are thinner,  and the taper near the ear bend is identical to the glasses in the Burnett screen caps. There is just no mistaking this if you look closely. 

It's an effect of the pics taken very close, actualy the have she same thickness and width (compared in person) and I stil thinking it's impossible to be the Revo because of the metallic hinge, bridge nose shape and arms shape, those points I've shown are very clear and the most of them is the plastic hinge as you can see on a screeshot, Revo and Persol have metallic hinges and the RB has plastic.

Also my suggest of RB contract but as said is a suggest.

Later I will show more pics from my own Revo and RB sunglasses.

Edited by Rburns

• 3 weeks later...

MTVCops: Where did you get the Wayfarer 5024 Tortoise sunglasses?

They are probably not available nowadays, aren´t they?

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2017 at 6:07 PM, Mr. Pacino said:

MTVCops: Where did you get the Wayfarer 5024 Tortoise sunglasses?

They are probably not available nowadays, aren´t they?

There are a few pairs of Rayban 5024s on EBay.

• Like 1

I would love to wear these, but my head is just too big. That's why I wear the Carrera 5512 from season 1. Does anyone know if the Persols from Season 3 are wider? I'd hate to pay $300+ for a pair of shades I can't wear. :) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, MTVcops said:

RayBan also made WAYFARER 2 which are Larger, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ray-Ban-Wayfarer-2-green-lenses-/272764801738?hash=item3f820c92ca:g:acsAAOSwlXhZa6fS

LENS-55MM 

BRIDGE - 20MM 

ARM-150

FROM SIDE TO SIDE - 145

HEIGHT - 50MM 

Thanks! I tried those, but just all around too big for me. 

There's a pair of 5024s on there for $70.00! 

I have a pair of Foster Grants that look very close to the 5024 Rayban model.

I just bought a pair of Rayban 2132s for $50.00 new w/ case.

• Like 1

I wear these on Wayfarer days. :thumbsup:

I got them at GAP years ago for like $2. They are a matte tortoise, opposed the glossy texture of the Ray Bans. That's no big deal to me, but the real reason these work for me is they are wide enough for my face, yet they still don't look oversized. I hope I never lose them--at that price point, I probably never will. :) 

IMG_7602.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/19/2017 at 9:17 PM, Dadrian said:

I wear these on Wayfarer days. :thumbsup:

I got them at GAP years ago for like $2. They are a matte tortoise, opposed the glossy texture of the Ray Bans. That's no big deal to me, but the real reason these work for me is they are wide enough for my face, yet they still don't look oversized. I hope I never lose them--at that price point, I probably never will. :) 

IMG_7602.JPG

True to the style as I am! Everyday is a wayfarer day, the question is which style and that depends on what shirt I'm wearing that day!:cool:

Edited by ZAQ 178
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My local Dillards has Ray Ban Wayfarers on sale.  What is the modern equivalent of what Sonny wore in Season 2?  Looking to make the best use of my money and get the closest I can.

I would say the 2132 model is as close as you can get to the 5024 model. The 2132 model doesn't have the little metal dash in the arms & it says Rayban on the arms & lens.

• Thanks 1

On 25/08/2016 at 6:11 PM, MTVcops said:

SEASON 4

Persol Ratti 09219 Made in Italy

Black with Blue Mirror Lenses 

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH REVO

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Great pieces ! Thankyou for sharing your collection :hippie:

On 19/07/2017 at 8:07 PM, ZAQ 178 said:

There's a pair of 5024s on there for $70.00! 

I have a pair of Foster Grants that look very close to the 5024 Rayban model.

I just bought a pair of Rayban 2132s for $50.00 new w/ case.

Great info ! There seems to be pairs of these floating around on eBay 

On 26.8.2016 at 6:29 PM, MTVcops said:

Below are pictures of 1 of the Original Rayban Wayfarers worn by Don Johnson in Seasons 1 & 2 which I purchased about 6 years ago from The PropMaster.

I decided to sell them 2 years later because they did not fit or look right, this was due to the custom made straight, clear/amber lenses designed to block the reflection of the camera.

Of course now I'm kicking myself for selling them, although I did try contacting the buyer several times to buy them back but NO ANSWER :(

DJ rayban7 (2).jpg

DJ rayban6 (2).jpg

DJ rayban5 (2).jpg

DJ rayban8.jpg

image.png

DJ rayban7 (2).jpg

DJ rayban6 (2).jpg

DJ rayban5 (2).jpg

DJ rayban8.jpg

And I was the buyer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1