Daytona deerest

Bigsarg

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Bigsarg said:

Wow. That's going to be a really fast boat. Never been on a boat going over 30 knots. Being a sailor my boat averages 6 knots on trips. 

Thxs for the invite. If I'm ever there I'll give you a shout. If your in Florida I'll take u sailing. 

I missed you a month ago. I sent you an email saying I would be in your area and wanted to go sailing but you never answered? I might have a bad email adr or you were busy?

Anyway looking forward to seeing the old girl painted finally. The rest of the bodywork is looking great and the idea of the metal inserts was ingenious! I know the old fiberglass can get weakened, especially with an older rusty headlight adjustment screw. You go in with a Phillips screwdriver to adjust the light and the whole thing crumbles.......I've seen it a hundred times before.

Keep posting pics my friend.

19 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

D, I ordered the 72 crossspoked Dayton knockoffs the week before the accident. They had to build them for me. Took 3 months and they have been sitting in my garage for over a year. I think that's going to be the finishing touch

I've tried to make this car as close to the Vice car as I could. I think keeping the Ferrari interior panels and having them get the Vice look during upholstery was the way to go. I think I couldn't go wrong either way (corvette or Ferrari interior). I'm going with the clear plexy and round lights. This may be the only mistake I make. Not doing the square headlights and tented plexy like the Vice car. But my car had the drop headlight doors, so it had the blacked out headlight look for 30 yrs. I like the round/clear plexy look in pictures. I've never seen it in person. So if it doesn't look right, I'll get it changed. I'm prepared for the worst, hopping for the best 

IMG_5867.PNG

Nice wheels!

By the way if you do want to go with square lights just go to any auto wrecker in the area with older models and find an old Chevy Impala or something from 1980-84. The header panels can be cut and the headlight inserts fit to match and the hardware and everything for adjustment is already there. Viola...square headlights.

Another thing...I was at a truck stop and they were selling old stock headlights like those square quads, but...THE WERE HALOGEN! This means you can upgrade any older model car with very bright, high lumeosity, low heat, headlights.

Great info Stinger. I'm going to look into the round brighter headlights. Lord knows u can't see jack at night with the ones I've got now. I've got a set of running lights behind the grill that you can't see unless there on. Their hooked into my highbeams. I was testing them the night I wrecked. I could see perfect and no one was flashing me. "I was like this is great. Dam what was that." A freaking deer ran right out. I also had a set of those deer whistles on my work bench that I was going to install when I got back from the test drive. Maybe I should have installed them first, you think? 

• Like 1

I recently bought one of those light bars for my truck. It wasn't cheap at close to 400 bucks, but let me tell you it was worth every penny!

Sometimes at night when I'm in the desert or lonely road, I flick them on and the just wash out the road with brilliant light. Nice thing is oncoming cars rarely flick their brights at me, so they must be ok, as I have the bar aimed low. It's remarkable what a difference it is between standard stock headlights and the addition of the light bar.

The bar I have has a dozen led's in two rows and is about 10 inches long approximately. That could hide nicely behind the grille and be unseen as the body is black anodized aluminum. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

On 21/05/2017 at 5:48 PM, Stinger390X said:

I missed you a month ago. I sent you an email saying I would be in your area and wanted to go sailing but you never answered? I might have a bad email adr or you were busy?

Anyway looking forward to seeing the old girl painted finally. The rest of the bodywork is looking great and the idea of the metal inserts was ingenious! I know the old fiberglass can get weakened, especially with an older rusty headlight adjustment screw. You go in with a Phillips screwdriver to adjust the light and the whole thing crumbles.......I've seen it a hundred times before.

Keep posting pics my friend.

Humm. I just saw this post. Never got an email. Theirs not an email on this site either. My email is: bigsarg1sg@aol.com. I'm not sailing until Aug 13th. That's my 6 month mark after surgery to my back. Doctors orders. I could have been sailing for the last 2 months. But I can't get the wife to buy off on it. Doctor said 6 months. I said"it's sailing Doc.You don't work on a sailboat." Doc laughed and said." I own a sailboat and the first 15 minutes you're moving fast and all over, bla bla bla. "I knew I was screwed as soon as he said "I own a sailboat". I'm located in Tallahassee. My boat is in Panama City fl. It's about 2 1/2 hrs from my house. Give me a weeks notice next time and we'll get something going. Sorry for the confusion 

Sure not a problem. I sent the email as a pm from the site here? I guess you never got it?

It's raining cats and dogs here for days and the water in my marina is the highest it has been in the 20 years I have been there, and apparently in over 60 years of the Marinas existance! Water is right up to the fuel docks and driveway!!! All five of the Great Lakes are high this season.

Weather is supposed to break on Friday and sunshine is forecasted, so I will be tearing up Lake Simcoe in my buddies Profile. We are taking it for sea trials after fixing an oil pressure problem and blower issues. Can hardly wait!!! Boat does 110mph all day long. Now that mechanic is done with his boat mine is next in line. I hope to be in the water Canada Day weekend of July or a bit sooner.

In the mean time my other friend has a Hatteras so I will be sailing a bit as well.

Happy trails and hope you get well soon!

Edited by Stinger390X

By the way...here is the light bar I was telling you about. Its in the centre just above the licence plate

lightbar.JPG

That boat sounds fast all right. I've never been faster than 70 on the water. Don't think I ever want to go that fast again. It was scary and it takes a lot to get me panicked. I was looking for the life vest when it downed on me. He'll the crash is going to kill me before drowning. 

Yes the light bar is cool. I have two LED  lights that are behind my grill. if u took the light bar and cut it in half. That's about what I've got. It worked great. The one time I used it

The front passenger side turn lense was shattered when it hit the deer  

Fitting the lense to the fiberglass body. They don't just set right in there from the factory. The replicas also don't use the gaskets around the lenses. WIERD if I do say so myself. A perfect mold would have saved so much work for every daytona that was built. I understand that Rowley and Carl Roberts cars are the exact same way. I wounder why that is?

swithched the drop down headlight doors to a Rowley plexiglass kit. The bottom trim just didn't have enough meat on it to be able to screw in to the body without going right into the very point of the body. So my guy made a new bottom piece. 

The shop logo will come on when the hood is opened. 

IMG_5915.JPG

IMG_5917.PNG

Edited by Bigsarg
Delete extra pics
  • Like 1

Where are replica lenses made and how much are they? A couple years ago I found a car that ran into a wall gently after a slight brake failure and he had a broken lens. The only lens |I COULD FIND WAS 2 GRAND!!!!!!! I thought that was outrageous for a piece of plastic.

By the way if you don't have a gasket for the lens there is a product by 3M called "Calking Cord" of better known by it's trade name "dumbdumb" This comes in small rolled strips smaller than a pencil (looks like a box of licorice) and can be used as a gasket and will keep out the rain water and keep the lens from hazing in moisture. You want to keep the bulb dry so use something to seal the lens anyway. I'm sure your body guy know s this anyway as I see he does great work.

You can get them here 

http://www.squadranuvolari.com/ferrari-products.htm

when I bought them a yr ago they were $900. Now 1295. You can find them at a few places for around that. U don't want to buy just one. Cuz it want match the other one due to area and exposure to UV. 

Are you talking about butle tape/windshield wield? It a calk that never drys hard that cums in different size rolls  1/4" to 1"

check out the Ferrari dash vents on this site $583. Their freaking crazy. The Ferrari Daytona used fiat vents. You can get them for $30 for 2. This place make reproduction parts off original parts. It makes parts for Ferrari too.

It doesn't take much to break one of these lenses. When a cars on eBay. If it doesn't say. You must ask if the lenses are cracked. Cuz chases are, they are

19 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

You can get them here 

http://www.squadranuvolari.com/ferrari-products.htm

when I bought them a yr ago they were $900. Now 1295.

Wow that is still a lot for a couple of pieces of plastic!  I wish I had a pair as I would give them to my buddy who owns a plastic extrusion shop. He could take a plug and make a mold and produce dozens of them. I really needed one back when I was looking to buy that wreck but I couldn't find a bumper for trying. Arturo had one advertised and then pop...it was sold? I have always wondered if it was the guy in GA who bought it to fix his own car. I came close to buying that car in GA but because I couldn't get parts, I backed out of the deal.

Edited by Stinger390X

• 3 weeks later...

Stinger, ran across this pic. U can see the two LED lights I installed behind the grill area. One looks like it is on cuz of reflection. 

IMG_5972.PNG

• Like 1

That's cool. Nicely hidden.

I had a gorgeous black Lincoln MarkVIII...the last of the sport coupes, and I loved that car!!! The only thing I hated was the damn headlights were terrible! You could not see at night with low beams so I ran the highs all the time. Funny thing was even with the highs on, no one ever blinked at me with their lights, so I guess the iintensity was not there? I bought some HID's for it but they were a bad fit and never installed them. it was going to mess up my computer on the dash anyway and |I would be driving around with a fault code blinking at me all the time so I opted out of the HID upgrade.

Well even if you put round or square lights (old school) you can still get pretty good quality Halogen upgrades for today. My Lincoln sadly had those small thin long lenses and took bulbs that if you upgraded to a brighter light you would melt the lens or the plug. That happened to me once and I had to change pigtails

• 2 weeks later...

Yep that's the boat Bra. My first sailing since back surgery. Sails were up and autopilot engaged. Work done. Time to chilax 

IMG_5990.JPG

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

Yep that's the boat Bra. My first sailing since back surgery. Sails were up and autopilot engaged. Work done. Time to chilax 

IMG_5990.JPG

Looking good pal!

I launched my boat July 1 and have been out every single day so far! The weather up here on Lake Ontario has been great and the bikinis are also looking very hot this year!

I have the entire month of july off so I am going to enjoy it. Will be trailering over to Lake Erie for the "Pottohawk pissup" What a party that is...about ten thousand boats (average) come to Pottohawk Island (google it on the interweb and see aerial pics of it) off Long Point on the leaward side on the first sunday every July. Its silk sand and waist deep water and a social gathering of sorts.

Going to try to make the Bay of Quinte Poker run for fun the following weekend so I hope the weather holds.

Have fun sailing bro and enjoy life while you can...that's my plan too! Enjoy................................

• Like 2

I'm starting to hear Phil Collins in my head now. 

12 hrs of wet sanding before paint. This car is SEMA car show streight.

Question: How do you get a car so straight.

Answer: One hundred dollar bills is the answer. 

IMG_6148.JPG

IMG_6147.JPG

IMG_6150.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

IMG_6146.JPG

• Like 2