Daytona deerest

Bigsarg

I struck a deer back in January. I am so glad that I have classic car insurance. The car is insured for $65000. So it is being repaired now. 
I hit the deer with my front passenger side bumper. And, did it really work. The deer ran across my hood, striking the windshield and then rolling over the top. One of his legs came thru the top, which was up at the time, right behind my driver's seat. The leg struck the back of my seat, tearing it, pushing me forward. The hoof scrapped the back of my neck and then hit the driver's door card and then broke the door glass. It sheered off the door handle, Ferrari style, and then the leg went back out the same hole and the deer ran across my trunk. I stopped immediately, but the deer was nowhere to be seen. 
Damages:
-bumper brace bent down. Bumper fine. 
-Drivers pop up head light cover missing
-turn signal cracked
-Stress cracks to nose area 
-Hood needs repainting
-Passenger fender stress cracks
-Fiberglass surrounding the windshield  frame stress cracks
-top ripped
-trunk needs to be repainted
-passenger & drivers door needs repainted
-drivers door missing door handle
-drivers door glass broken
-windshield cracked
-drivers seat ripped
-passenger seat has rip from flying glass
-passenger door card torn

I've decided that I would make the car as close to the Miami Vice Car (MVC) as possible. 
-changed the Ferrari door handles to Alfa Rameo DH 
-replaced pop up headlight doors with plexiglass from Rowleys
- fiberglass surrounding windshield frame replaced with stock corvette convertible reveals and SS header. 
-changed from full size Vitaloni chrome Mirrors mirrors to mini black mirrors
-rechromed bumpers
-all interior reupholstered. 
I have the Ferrari interior. So, I've made a few modifications to it so it resembles the MVC: two-tone dash. Middle area where corvette gages are I blacked out, but kept the Ferrari switches and levers. 
-replaced rims to a Dayton 72 wire spoke rim
-putting new create engine in with throttle body fuel injection
-changed out 4 speed to overdrive automatic. Kept the shift peddle and custom shifter so it still looks like a four speed. 

I am looking for good pictures of how the exhaust comes out the rear of the car. Anyone have some pictures of that area? Anything you guys and gals can think of that I have forgotten, let me know. 

Also what tires are you guys that own a Daytona run. I am running 225 60/R 15. The MVC ran 235 60/R 15. But my research doesn't support that conclusion. The gap between the MVC tires and fender flare seems to be closer and I don't think the car was lowered any. All info will be appreciated. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Hope you have good luck finding parts? I hope none of the lights or bumpers were damaged as they are very expensive (if you can find them)

Bodywork (fiberglass) can easily be repaired so that is in your favour. Let us know how it goes.

Fortunately all the changes are cheaper for the insurance company.  The Ferrari style door handles are $1300 a pair. Then there is 10 hrs to customize them to work with the Chevy door latch. Shop can't just make one because Mcburnie didn't use real Ferrari door handles. I guess he made his own. I couldn't find just the one. So for $400 I got the Alfa DH, lock cylenders, and cables. And only 5 hrs to custom fit them. Saved insurance $1275. The headlight door was also a one off. 10 hrs to make and fit. Rowley plexy $350 and an hr to install. The interior was the biggest issue. Both seats, one door card and the cover for the convertible brackets got torn. My hole interior is tan except the dash. So they wanted to just match the tan. Impossible with 30 yr upholstery. So they finally agreed to do all the tan. Mainly I think because I had been saving them money on other things. The car has been at the Uphalstery shop for 4 months. Hopefully it will be done in the next 2 weeks.  Changing the windshield frame back to stock cost me $600 for parts but they came out ahead on the labor. 

My dash mod was my biggest exspence $1000 to take it out and split it in half.. I think it will look better two toned. I realized in doing my research on the car that the dash is a big visual of the exterior. 

I am so thankful for Author's (spyderman) help. His knowledge has saved my custom guy hrs of not trying to recreate the wheel on issues. And, finding parts that are just too pricy, he always can get the part for a resonable  price. I don't know where he gets them but they are always top shelf. When I told him I hit the deer I think he felt worst than I did that the car was wrecked. I'll just call him the Daytona Whisperer from now on. He really loves these cars.  

Thxs. I had just installed running lights behind the grill. Cause the c3 headlights are the worst for driving at night. I had to wait about 30 minutes afterwords so it was dark enough to adjust them. Then as I was test driving the car is when it happened. So I guess you can say I waited around for 30 minutes just to go hit the deer. 

What suspension upgrades had anyone done on a Daytona ?

I'm looking at the square tube control arm upgrade. Any suggestions?

I decided sence the insurance is doing so much already; I might as well do all the modifications and upgrades that needs to be done. 

All sugestions will really help in this build. Thxs 

So sorry to hear about this happening to you

On my Dayton wirewheels is written the Nr. 183A

Front and rear is the same wheel size.

Tires front: 205/70/15

Tires rear: 235/60/15 Pirelli P600. This tire isn't as fat as the BF Goodridge

You can find pictures of my car here:

If you need some detailed pictures of the exhaust, i will make some for you.

I heard from Rowley that they have no more Plexis. Please give me a sign, if this is not true. Thanks.

Your car was probably red once???

Good luck.

Edited by Pritt

Yes when I got the car in 2007 it was red. 

Thxs for the info on the tire size. 

Rowley still makes the plexi but he waits until he needs 5 before he will make them. 

i know someone who can get you the plexi like on the Miami vice car, if you need one.

Pritt, Is your suspension stock?

Sometime during the daytona's life, the Mcburnie scribe was shaved off. I have a lot the documents for the car. So, I know it's a Mcburnie built conversion. 

I ask Arturo (spyderman) if he could send me good pictures and a few measurements. He went even better and sent me a creyon etching of his Mcburnie scribe under his hood. My paint guy sanded the underside of my hood till he thought he found the correct location. A name plate was made from the itching and the name was placed back on the car. Form the back side of the piece we took out. It looks like we are in the correct position, within fractions. Again I couldn't have done it without Arturo's itching. He went above and beyond. 

My hypothesis is that no one ever thought the name "Mcburnie" would be so synonymous with the Miami vice Daytona Spyder. So, it was taken off to better impersonate a real Ferrari. Anyway, I think it looks like it never left.  

image.jpeg

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Bigsarg
Pictures

Glad to hear that everything is going so well so far!

The pics in the last post are not showing up so maybe you can see what's up with that. I'm interested in seeing them.

Looks like the glass work was well done. I see they guide coated and did the work properly so feel free to relax as the bodywork looks awesome! Hope everything works out with the dash.

Glad things are going well.  The entire time I had my car, I worried that an accident would make it a total loss.  Doing the upgrades is a smart investment, as well.  Keep us updated on the progress!!

Came up with an ideal on the door panel. I never liked the corvette armrest on it. I saw a pic of a Dino 246 with a door pocket for an armrest. So, I thought I would make some pockets that are shaped like the front turn signals. 

I think it will be interesting, what do you guys/ girls think?

1st pic is of a Dino 246 with the door pocket

2nd pic my old door panel with the new pocket laying on top of the Corvette armrest. My new door panel will not have the black stripes on it. it will have the pattern, just no black. 

3rd pic is of both door pockets. These were molded off real front lenses so they are the exact shape 

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

Thxs Jurassic Narc. Yes, if I would have had it insured as a corvette, I wouldn't have gotten enough to even fix it. They would have totaled it for sure. I have classic car insurance; which is cheaper than regular car insurance, and they appraised it at $65000. So I think they will be around $32000 by the time it is done. Then my budget is an additional $15000. All in all I will have a complete frame on restoration. 

Engine and tranny is in. Door pockets are done. 

Pictures:

1- door armrest/pocket/cup holder 

2- door Uphalstery with stencil for armrest

3- engine with throttle body fuel injection 

4- dash

5- dash

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Administrators

Holy smokes! Sorry to hear about the car but just be glad your alive. I've heard of deer coming though windshields and killing people.

Hope the rebuild goes well. Please keep us updated.

Thanks,