Daytona deerest

Bigsarg

IA, hopefully this week a lot will get done. Then it's back to the upholstery shop cuz the area around the windows is being pinched between the glass and the new rubber seals. They'll have to remove the top an fix that area. Then prob a few more grimlins will show their face before it's finished. At this point, I'm Johnson, but not going to except it till it's 100% finished. 

The soonest big car show, I know in my area, Panama City Beach, Fl  is

https://emeraldcoastcruizin.com/

in November, so that's really when I'm looking to unveil her. I think I will have to enter under custom or modified, but probly custom. My goal is if it doesn't place then it will be back in the shop to get what it needs to place in its category.  

We will see. Remember this is a "Show Driver", not a trailer queen. So it will be used for getting groceries on Thursday and showed on Saturday. This car will be driven on a regular basis and not set in the garage like it did for the last 10 years. Mainly cuz it's got an automatic in it now. I'm just too old for a dam 4 speed. Pain in the ass trying to drink coffee and shift gears. Lol

• Like 1

On 8/13/2017 at 5:38 PM, Bigsarg said:

Stinger. Thxs for the input. I'll bring all this up with the shop tomorrow. I'm taking the wire spoke rims down tomorrow. So it's getting closer. 

I'm wanting to see all the final pieces on the engine as well. Their finished and I'm hoping to see them on this week. 

I can understand not wanting to try and match paint for a perfectionist. But unmatched is better than a blob of touch up paint. Lol

IMG_6300.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

You car is coming along awesomely!    

We are finally just getting started on my car now... I hope it looks half as good as yours!!!

Question - where did you get those style spinners from Dayton Wheels as well?  And where did you get gold Zenith center caps?   I need both for my car!!

On 7/26/2017 at 2:13 PM, Bigsarg said:

today mirrors were installed. I've seen them in many different locations than how the Vice car had them. I went for the Vice car position, on the side not top of the door. 

IMG_6243.JPG

IMG_6244.JPG

IMG_6245.PNG

Again, your car is amazing and I have sent this thread to the shop who is working on my car.  Any chance you can share your measurements for the mirror locations with us, so everyone else building these cars can also have 'accurate' replicas :)

Playboy, I will get the measurements when I go to the shop. The placement is a best guess, not to say the correct place, from several pictures. 

New exhaust. Turbo tube and the quietest muffler on each side. If I can not make it sound like a Ferrari, then I don't want to even hear it. Extra long chrome tips are the final ingredient. 

They moved the exhaust out further to the outside of the car, and not so close to the transmission tunnel. Put heat shields over all mufflers. Because man could the floorboard of this car get hot while driving long distances. Hope this fixes the excessive heat problem. 

IMG_6347.JPG

IMG_6344.JPG

IMG_6345.JPG

IMG_6348.JPG

• Like 2

On 8/14/2017 at 4:34 PM, Bigsarg said:

IA, hopefully this week a lot will get done. Then it's back to the upholstery shop cuz the area around the windows is being pinched between the glass and the new rubber seals. They'll have to remove the top an fix that area. Then prob a few more grimlins will show their face before it's finished. At this point, I'm Johnson, but not going to except it till it's 100% finished. 

The soonest big car show, I know in my area, Panama City Beach, Fl  is

https://emeraldcoastcruizin.com/

in November, so that's really when I'm looking to unveil her. I think I will have to enter under custom or modified, but probly custom. My goal is if it doesn't place then it will be back in the shop to get what it needs to place in its category.  

We will see. Remember this is a "Show Driver", not a trailer queen. So it will be used for getting groceries on Thursday and showed on Saturday. This car will be driven on a regular basis and not set in the garage like it did for the last 10 years. Mainly cuz it's got an automatic in it now. I'm just too old for a dam 4 speed. Pain in the ass trying to drink coffee and shift gears. Lol

Hey, you only go around once and cars are meant to be driven.  I have two "fun" cars that have won their classes at shows and get driven to work on nice days in a rotation.  In my opinion, it is worse for a car to sit than it is to be respectfully driven.  You've got to keep the fluids and parts moving.  I spend a lot of time keeping the engine bays and other elements detailed but it is something I enjoy doing so I don't mind it at all.  It allows me to decompress from a work day and take pride in something I own.  I always love to read about these projects and watch them come to completion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/08/2017 at 11:57 AM, playboy said:

Again, your car is amazing and I have sent this thread to the shop who is working on my car.  Any chance you can share your measurements for the mirror locations with us, so everyone else building these cars can also have 'accurate' replicas :)

I forgot to measure for mirrors. I'll do it next week. Sorry

They IMG_6367.thumb.JPG.4f88e5eee3987bf190b8e21aa21b1fb9.JPGnailed the stance. Apparently they don't make a shorter/drop coil spring for C3. So the shop was prepared  (I was ready to pay the labor) to cut mine and reinstall again and again until the correct height. They cut one coil off and they nailed it on the first try. Removing 1coil drops the front end 2 inches

the stance is correct. But I'm going to miss not having to remember the curb when parking. Before I sat high enough that the front never hit. Lol

Next Wednesday it goes for front end alignment and to put the Dayton knock off 72 spoke rims on. 

IMG_6369.JPG

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished engine bay with all the handmade goodies completed.

Please post pic when that is completed.

Looking good bro! Can't wait to see the wheels too!

Sorry still at the tire shop. Shop had to push me back to take care of all the people that were coming thru Tallahassee Florida running from the hurricane Irma. 

So hopefully we will have power back 100% in the city by Friday. Not sure when they'll get to the car

I'm Johnson right with you to see this stance on those rims. But I've waited this long. It's just time. It will happen

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

often the mirrors on classic cars were just thrown on by the dealers, so just use the mark 1 eyeball and make sure it lines up with your sight when you sit in the drivers seat

as sometimes they even used odd and offbrand mirrors for things you wouldnt think

and sorry I've been away its just that in reading up on pontiac and roger smith on the old car memories channel well............... it mixed in with my own bad experences with oldsmobile, not chevy or buick, at a chevolet dealer I used to trustcurbed my enthusiasm that I'm trying to get back for this. 

as I had a dealership that used to take care of me turn into a bunch of telemarketers on me, and that is hard to come back from, all in the same week specter came out too no less............

like a a fake raffle for money and a car and then a mailing list get something free thing, like I have to remind myself that the GMC dealership has taken good care of me and my volkswaggen on route 9 to offset this, and didnt miss the cracked brake drum that could have killed me like they did. all the week after an inspection and a water pump replacement a week earlier too, and this is the way they try and get me back? I mean I kinda think I'm in the right for permanently holding a grudge against them for that at this point lol

and I'm just trying to get over that. like that has dampened my liking of all gm products that I used to like, like the novas, the buicks and the like

Edited by Kavinsky

Well my car has been at the alignment shop for 1 month tomorrow. It seems that the car has brought him so much business that he keeps pushing me back so he can do them. I’m assured today it will be finished tomorrow  

1 week because the A arms weren’t the correct ones and Summitracing sent correct ones overnight  to replace them. But after that I’m lost in the judgement to keep pushing my car back on priority. It’s been in a negative feedback loop for 3 weeks. People see the car and come in to find out if it’s the car from Miami Vice. He gets business and my car sets for advertising for his shop. At least he admits it. Here is a copy of his text to me. He’s referring to my Daytona as “corarri”

I hope the chat we had today gets my car finished. I’m a patient man but I do let the Drill Sergeant come out when it’s needed. Hope to have pics with the rims tomorrow. 5A7D8F0A-83EE-476C-8737-DA0484ECF609.thumb.png.e32a5a6f71e82343089c79f6370a7874.png

• Like 3

Glad to hear it Bigsarg! I bet your itching to get behind the wheel?

I am leaving for FL tomorrow morning to take a chance on a car I found today. It looks workable. I found another one I really wanted but the adverts were all bull$hit. (see my post in the Testarosa listing from today)

The car is down in Orlando so If it turns out to be a good unit I will buy it and have it transported home. Needs paint so I have the whole winter to do it properly and get a good straight shine on it. Keep your fingers crossed for me as I hope this one is not a waste of my time like the countless others I have seen and been bewildered by.

By the way I want to talk to you in detail about those headlights as I think I might also switch over to those with plexi. The car has flip ups and of course...they don't work! Vendor already told me you have to crank them up by hand when it turns dark out! hahahahahahaahha! That will be the first thing I change!

Wish me luck.

• Like 2

Finally the car is finished at the alignment shop. Will be towed back to the custom shop in the morning. The alignment shop sent me these pics. I’m Johnson to see it in person tomorrow. Now it’s just needs the regulators replaced in both doors. I’m trying to fix that slow moving window problem. Already replaced the motors and wired straight to the battery. Also replaced the A pillar rubbers with latex NOS. That helped a bit too. But still not like ur used to in a car electric window. Instead of taking old regulators out and replacing spring and cleaning/regreasing it was cheaper to put new Regs in, due to the labor. 

Im having exhaust cut outs installed. I put such a quiet system on it, I think I’ll want to get stupid and piss off the neighbors once in awhile. Plus it always got challenges at red lights before. I’d just smile and slowly go off the line. They’d take off like a scolded cat. I always pull up to them at the next light and give them a thumbs up. I think it will be funny to watch their face when I pull up at the second red light and open exhaust up. Still want race. Just have a bit of fun on their expense. 

Im hoping 2 was I’ll have her home in the new garage. Fingers crossed. 14897ADA-8A17-4097-9530-02C67EA2B4E8.thumb.jpeg.2483817595a05d4cd7f4afb3ace131f3.jpeg

98553EA1-04E2-4E1C-94FE-28345DEC3014.jpeg

• Like 3

Thxs Dadrian. I’ll see it in person tomorrow. I’m not sure about the Ferrari yellow calipers yet. I’ll make a decision tomorrow if I’ll change them to black or not

Pruitt, My thoughts from the pics too. Unless it looks great in person I’m changing the color. DW uses a silver on his. I’ll go with that color. Totally hides the calipers by blending them in. 

• Like 1