My Modern Miami Vice Soundtrack

Marc

If Miami Vice was getting remade today or I could've had a say in the 2006 movie these are my choice of songs and direction I'd take the show.

They're not going to popular releases so I don't know how well these will be received but here goes. The less well known the better and all from no earlier than 2005 to present.

There definitely won't be any Com Truise or Kavinsky who get far too much-undeserved attention as it is. First five...

#1 Manual - Marbella (Live) (2015 reissue)

This entire album by Manual is dripping with a Miami Vice feel. I could pick multiple songs from it but went with this one for the strong uplifting guitar to start us off. When it hits 3:38. It's just beautiful, imagine those crashing waves and speedboats. Also, check out Blue Shibuya Dream and Sal Paradise if you like this.

#2 Am-Boy - Moving Up In The World (2007)

This is edging into the whole retro genre of Tycho, Casio vs Japan breed of artists but still retains firming looking forward rather than too concerned with the past.

#3 High Klassifeld - Radar (2014)

Something more hip with a distinctive choppy beat for when our characters are cruising the streets. Released on Fool's Gold.

#4 Das Komplex - Openwork Socks (2016)

This has that Risky Business Tangerine Dream influenced synth. The drop at 2:39 = heaven for me.

#5 Sasha - View 2 (2016)

One of the world's most respected DJ's hailing from England and great producer too. This is an impressive ambient album that's stood out this year.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

These are cool. I heard a lot of this downtempo electronica at different places on all 3 of my visits to Miami. It's very much apart of the atmosphere there these days. 

• Administrators

Nice list! Not really liking #3 though. 

I honestly believe that Michael Mann made a mistake making the movie in 2006, the world wasn't ready for it then. He should've waited 10 years, as the direction music has gone more suits the Miami Vice vibe. But nobody could've known, hey... 

Let's compile a thread of a "New Vice" mix?

• Like 1

Interesting choices for a modern Vice track. I could see #2 and #4 as part of a MV scenery.

Not sure what music, I would pick, but if it has to be just instrumental maybe this:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, summer84 said:

Interesting choices for a modern Vice track. I could see #2 and #4 as part of a MV scenery.

Not sure what music, I would pick, but if it has to be just instrumental maybe this:

Great choice:D:D

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. I wouldn't want a new Vice to be too heavy on the nostalgia, it should be more cutting edge like it was at the time.

#6 Octal Industries - Drofn 2 (2013)

This one is really atmospheric and makes a perfect soundtrack for Crockett driving after midnight. The video even helps you visualise it.

#7 Matias - Aguayo 

I'm more of an instrumental listener but there's something about the lyrics and vocal I really dig here. 

#8 Todd Terje - Ragysh (2011)

This one is a masterpiece and become quite well known. I actually had no idea this video for the song existed until I went to share it now.

#9 LNRDCROY - Land, Repair, Refuel (2014)

When I read the track's title I can instantly imagine a Miami Vice plot just waiting to be made.

#10 Ryan James Ford - Arthure Iccon (2014)

You've got to have the music for the dark brooding moments when the bad guys win. If Jan Hammer made techno maybe it would sound like this.

Oh boy. You guys have opening Pandora's Box here lol. I'm not sure how many of us here on this message board are familiar with the New-Retrowave scene, but here's a quick "starter-set".

First off, this song here IS Crockett's Theme for the 21st century:

Next up, my favorite Miami Vice fan-made music video (and believe me, there are ALOT on youtube)

Here's a fan made video I made:

Not a fan of season 5, but these songs works so well. The musician's name is SFERRO, for anyone interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIbR33eF9dw

This video isn't that exciting (just still images), but HOLY $H!+ does this guy have the Jan Hammer sound LOCKED DOWN!! If they were gonna bring this show back, he'd be my first choice for who should do the score:

And for the music when you wanna party, these guys are the best:

• Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

First off, this song here IS Crockett's Theme for the 21st century:

There's also this for a Billy Crockett's theme... :p

Sorry to hijack your thread, Marc. You can tell we're enthusiastic about music. :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, James said:

There's also this for a Billy Crockett's theme... :p

Sorry to hijack your thread, Marc. You can tell we're enthusiastic about music. :)

Haha, that's a really good choice and gets my vote. I can feel the vibes and it nails it without going into the cheesy territory which is a fine line. It's difficult to articulate tastes but Action Jackson one above is way too cheap generic synth plugins, midi files and just reminds me of a Super Nintendo game. Some artists can pull of a true warm analog authentic gear sound purely on a computer while others can't disguise it.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 8:24 PM, Marc said:

Thanks, guys. I wouldn't want a new Vice to be too heavy on the nostalgia, it should be more cutting edge like it was at the time.

#6 Octal Industries - Drofn 2 (2013)

This one is really atmospheric and makes a perfect soundtrack for Crockett driving after midnight. The video even helps you visualise it.

#7 Matias - Aguayo 

I'm more of an instrumental listener but there's something about the lyrics and vocal I really dig here. 

#8 Todd Terje - Ragysh (2011)

This one is a masterpiece and become quite well known. I actually had no idea this video for the song existed until I went to share it now.

#9 LNRDCROY - Land, Repair, Refuel (2014)

When I read the track's title I can instantly imagine a Miami Vice plot just waiting to be made.

#10 Ryan James Ford - Arthure Iccon (2014)

You've got to have the music for the dark brooding moments when the bad guys win. If Jan Hammer made techno maybe it would sound like this.

I started out liking this #10 Ryan James Ford - Arthure Iccon (2014 ) because it sounded like the MV Theme....but it never got past the drum beat. There's no melody.

• Administrators

MV used a few 'Yello' songs... So how about one of their new ones in a modern vice? It's kind of weird though.

Also weird seeing 70 year olds rocking out to this kind of music, but it's badass in some ways.

^ Damn, that's fire. :cool:

Seriously, if you can - Listen to the whole album. It's called "Toy", it's really good. Really really really really good.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
25 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

How about this track... it would be apt on so many levels... :):thumbsup:

25 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

How about this track... it would be apt on so many levels... :):thumbsup:

Nice !!

Marco Shuttle - Ende (2017)

I heard this one today. Really dark atmospheric moody synths. Only drops here are the rain falling.

You can't have a score to Miami Vice without this type of background music in my opinion.

• 1 month later...