Episode #92 "Redemption In Blood"

Ferrariman

• 2 years later...

Ten points!Apart from revisiting Sonny's ex-wife and son later on in the season, this was the last and best humanistic storyline we got out of Vice. Sonny slowly regaining his memory, walking through South Beach, and into OCB with everyone's guns drawn, with Peter Gabriel/Kate Bush in the background, was the last great musical montage of the show.It's truly the first time we see Rico unsure if he should trust Sonny, in the interrogation room.El Gato was one of the most unstable bad guys on the show, slamming coffins of dead friends, shooting up his own house, and acting generally whacko upon losing his empire. Plus, he gets attacked by the big cat. :evil:Good acting by DJ. Here, he had to keep a delicate balance; he learns that he's not Burnett, but he has to keep up the act even though he's not all there as Sonny just yet.When it first aired, I don't think fans realized that the Burnett arc would mean Crockett was hardly in Season 5 much thereafter. :cry:This and Hostile Takeover really needed some Jan Hammer, since we got so many great cues for Mirror Image, but his absence isn't enough to give this episode less than a 10.

• Like 2

Guest neworder

Excellent end to the best story arc featured on Miami Vice. The story is great, acting on top form and Truman's music starts to sound very good indeed especially in the end shoot-out sequence and the scene where Crockett is pissed. However, like Hostile Takeover, El Gato irritates but thankfully he's not in this episode as much.A strong 9/10 from me!

Excellent episode that continued the high quality of the Burnett trilogy. It was such a great storyline that really invigorated the show.Firstly, the edge-of-your-seat intro that continues from the end of the previous ep. We thought Rico had gotten through to him but not so, it was almost curtains for him again. Tim Truman's music seemed too imitative of Jan Hammer in this scene. It sounded similar to Jan's tune at the end of Payback.Just as Sonny's belief that he is Burnett begins to crumble his operations unravel somewhat. Cliff King is getting frustrated and feels his boss is standing in the way of his ambition so he plots to whack him, like Tony Montana in Scarface.Celeste is great in this ep, once again. She was excellent throughout, especially when Sonny realised she had betrayed him.I really liked the use of flashbacks. Sonny was obviously trying to reassimilate his identity in several points in the ep, especially when he's walking around South Beach. I loved when all of Burnett seemed to have been erased from his psyche and he returned to OCB. Who'd have thought that Sonny would ever have guns drawn on him there. Powerful sequence and Peter Gabriel's 'Don't Give Up' was a great choice.The OCB crew were apprehensive at first but Sonny redeemed himself by bringing down King and saving Tubbs' life. I loved that whole sequence. Some really good action. And I loved the ending with Celeste and then El Gato meeting his end.Excellent conclusion to the Burnett saga. 9/10

• Like 4

any episode with debra feuer in deserves a 10 and this is no exception. celeste looks as hot as ever in the black dress at the end and is the ideal gangsters moll :pi have always maintained that the burnett saga represents the best of season 4/5.

• Like 2

any episode with debra feuer in deserves a 10 and this is no exception. celeste looks as hot as ever in the black dress at the end and is the ideal gangsters moll :pi have always maintained that the burnett saga represents the best of season 4/5.

I have to agree, I always thought she was hot and fit the role perfectly...
  • Like 1

Posted: March 02 2008 at 9:10pmI enjoyed this episode of the Burnett Trilogy as much as "Mirror Image." Crockett becomes Burnett & now reverts back to our hero Sonny Crockett. Sonny was too evil in "Hostile Takeover" for me. DJ's acting in the whole Trilogy is superb! I would give the Trilogy a 10 rating but I'm sticking with a 9.5/10 for "Redemption" & for the entire Trilogy because there are some earlier Season 1, 2, & 3 episodes that I liked better & I feel convey the total "Vice" image more effectively. I loved Sonny's suits & ties. (what a handsome man!) At the lighthouse when Burnett tells his men "Cooper is the heat", my subtitles said "Cooper is in heat" I dig the ending when El Gatto(the cat) gets jumped by the cat. Excellent episode! I'm rating it a 10 for this poll.

• Like 1

A 9 from me.It would have been a 10 if the scenes with Al gato were not in it. Only the last scene with him is good the rest I just do not like and acted poorly.I loved the music this ep. :thumbsup::thumbsup:The scene at the end of the ep starter were Burnett is watching the car of Ricardo leave The look in his eyes cold but with some kind of spark in it. Great acting of DJ. To me his acting this whole ep is fantastic. He really played the transition back into Sonny well and his non verbal acting is strong.I found the scene between Rico and Sonny in interrogationroom very moving.

• 2 weeks later...

I grant the continuing to the first show of the season a solid 8. It had a very heart felt ambiance to it when Sonny was finding himself once more after the explosion. And a very emotional montage as he was doing all he could to explain the chain of events to Rico.

My Take on Redemption in BloodI have always said and felt that this whole trio - Mirror Image, Hostile Takeover, and Redemption in Blood were the BEST MV ever :)! I give all 3 episodes a solid 10 :)! I think DJ acting was great in all 3 episodes! He made a very good bad guy. His whole persona changed - even body movement (the way he stood, walked, and carried himself), the way he styled his hair, his new wardrobe (I loved the suits and ties and dark classes), etc.I thought the entire story line was great and very ironic - here one of the good guys has become the very thing that he despises and goes after each and everyday!I also loved the flash backs from previous episodes. I LOVED the opening scene in Redemption in Blood! I loved everything about this scene - the opening music, the exchange between Rico and Sunny, and I thought the flashback about dirty cops just as Rico is trying to get through to Sonny was perfect timing! I also LOVED the scene that follows where Rico is running threw the woods and trying to get away and I LOVE the song TT composed and is playing in the background. Finally, I LOVED how the beginning of Redemption in Blood closed out with Rico getting away in the Jeep and saying "Jeeze, SOnny!" and the mean and very pissed looking Sonny watching Rico get away! I thought DJ did a great job acting as a bad guy!I wish DJ would be interested in doing either a squeal or do a new show as a bad guy. We can always dream :).Anyone for MV 2?? Tony T had an idea to start a petition for all of us fans to sign and maybe mail to Universal Studios. What do you all think about that idea?R

• Like 2

The Burnett trilogy doesn't let up with this fabulous conclusion. Matt Frewer (Max Headroom!) gets more screentime here as the two-faced Cliff King. The opening and scene where Crockett/Burnett surrenders himself are top notch Vice. El Gato's exit felt like last minute "Oh yeah, forgot about him" scripting but still an effective ending for the character. Bumping this one up to a 9/10.

Edited by agent 47
New review due to Blu-ray viewing.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Together with Hostile Takeover and Mirror Image this episode is under my TOP 10 list of VICE episodes.:happy::happy::thumbsup::thumbsup:When I'm looking at such an episode, I know why I think VICE is the best, best, best TV-series on earth for EVER !!:happy:Redemption in Blood is extremely emotional and dramatical produced - an enjoyment for each fan.In contrast to Hostile Takeover, Sonny is here less brutal and reckless. It is shown that Burnett is fallin' and fallin'.Until the last minutes, it isn't clear whether he remembers or he don't, but then we have our old hero Sonny back.Together with this fantastic episode, music is also perfect. You Never Listen To Me by Peter Cetera, Don't Give Up by Gabriel/Bush and Everything's Inside of Me by Tim Truman are wonderful.:radio::radio:Tim Truman does great job and be the perfect successor of Jan Hammer. His music fits in brilliantly in Season 5.:radio:1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 of 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 points !!!:)

• Like 1

Can you give a hint' date=' where can we hear it? (apart from the episode):confused::confused::confused:[/quote']That's my question, too. I've been looking for this song for ages :( and all I have to do with is the version with MV dialogue over the track...

That's my question' date=' too. I've been looking for this song for ages :( and all I have to do with is the version with MV dialogue over the track...[/quote'] I also have the episode-version with the dialogues.Unfortunately the song is still unreleased.:cry::cry::cry:

I also have the episode-version with the dialogues.Unfortunately the song is still unreleased.:cry::cry::cry:

It's a shame, isn't it? This song hasn't grown old at all! Almost none of them have, I guess...

It's a shame' date=' isn't it? This song hasn't grown old at all! Almost none of them have, I guess...[/quote'] You're absolutely right !!!:clap::clap::happy:80s music is so cool and emotional, I love it. The mixture of synth and rock is fantastical.Especially VICE music is excellent.Unfortunately there are few songs who are very very good, but were not released.:cry:All the Tim Truman pieces are so empathetic - :radio::radio:

You're absolutely right !!!:clap::clap::happy:80s music is so cool and emotional' date=' I love it. The mixture of synth and rock is fantastical.Especially VICE music is excellent.Unfortunately there are few songs who are very very good, but were not released.:cry:All the Tim Truman pieces are so empathetic - :radio::radio:[/quote']Thank you Joe for your support :) For me there's nothing like that music nowadays, I listen to it whenever I can but I just can't stand the music that today's teenagers listen to. Have I become so old? Have I become so pathetically overemotional, thinking about the past when I was young and pretty? :D:D:DI can't imagine why Universal (or whoever stands behind this decision) opposes to releasing Tim Truman's score or at least some songs of his that were featured in MV. They would earn money from us, wouldn't they? I'd gladly buy an album - I mean, buy it, not download it for free... I guess I don't understand the rules of economy.

Thank you Joe for your support :) For me there's nothing like that music nowadays' date=' I listen to it whenever I can but I just can't stand the music that today's teenagers listen to. Have I become so old? Have I become so pathetically overemotional, thinking about the past when I was young and pretty? :D:D:D[/quote']No, you aren't pathetically overemotional. Today I'm 19 years old and I have become "addicted" to VICE in 2006 when I was nearly 15.Immediately I loved that super sound of Jan Hammer, Tim Truman and the 80s songs.:radio::happy:Today's music is often more colder and exchangeable - I never have goose pimples cause of good music today - already at VICE !!!*sorry of OFF Topic*

• 2 years later...

The final Burnett-saga episode...and I thought about time. By this time I was getting a little tired of the whole Burnett drama, and the psychotic and crazy things he was doing...it was getting a little old. I was ready for him to return to Crockett, and we could move on.Again, I did not like the no-pastels at all, and El Gato & Cliff continued to annoy the crap out of me! :evil:However, I still liked Don's acting, despite the somewhat over-the-top plot, and I thought he did an awesome job! :clap: I liked the scene where Celeste changes her mind at the last second and warns Sonny there was a bomb in the car--as it blows up. :thumbsup: The action and bizarre was also still definitely there, and pretty cool.Debra Feuer did a superb job as Celeste and she was one of the bright and captivating spots to watch in this episode! :glossy: The music was also pretty good in this one, with songs such as Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel, and You Never Listen To Me by Peter Cetera.Love the panther Burnett gives Celeste...that was wild! I also loved the end where it tears into El Gato...literally! :) The scene where Crockett finally remembers who he is, is pretty cool and captivating too. But, there was no way he would ever be trusted or allowed to be a cop again, in reality.I don't know...this was a pretty good episode, but it also seemed somewhat out-there and disjointed sometimes too. I gave it an 8, as I did "Hostile Takeover".

• 7 months later...

"Hostile" and "Redemption" are just fantastic episodes - this show is so serious now - great optics and Don Johnson did a great job directing  :D  :fireworks: 

• Like 1

"Hostile" and "Redemption" are just fantastic episodes - this show is so serious now - great optics and Don Johnson did a great job directing  :D  :fireworks: 

Right. Only "drawback" is that the show is very depressive, even nihilistic now. That is perfectly underlined by very stilish but cool colors like the scene in the sauna.And Tim Truman's sound is very importan to support this new tone. I cannot imagine Jan Hammer's lighter sound as score anymore.If you skip seasons three and four, season five seems to be a different show. If you watch all seasons in consecutive order, then the new tone is a logical consequence of what has happened.
  • Like 1