R.I.P. Jon Polito (1950-2016)

agent 47

I'm sad to report that Jon Polito, who as El Gato was one of the greatest Miami Vice villain ever (and my personal favorite MV villain), has passed at age 65. A true character that had brought a lot of presence to the roles he played especially in the Coen Brothers underrated Miller's Crossing and Michael Mann's other great show Crime Story.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-jon-polito-favorite-coen-brothers-242083

8 minutes ago, agent 47 said:

I'm sad to report that Jon Polito, who as El Gato was one of the greatest Miami Vice villain ever (and my personal favorite MV villain), has passed at age 65. A true character that had brought a lot of presence to the roles he played especially in the Coen Brothers underrated Miller's Crossing and Michael Mann's other great show Crime Story.

http://www.avclub.com/article/rip-jon-polito-favorite-coen-brothers-242083

Very sad to see this and so young!

A great actor and over the top character in the two first episodes in Season 5 - "Hostile Takeover" and "Redemption In Blood"

He also guest starred in an episode with Don Johnson in "Nash Bridges" in 1999

Edited by Matt5

Terrible and very sad news, and in the same week as Gene Wilder. It's bad.

The great El Gato is gone. One of the very best and most vivid bad guys of the series. He was so entertaining to watch and added so much to the Burnett episodes. He was also great as mob boss Phil Bartoli in Crime Story.

He was a great actor. He always made everything he was ever in that bit bit better.
65 is way too young an age to go. That makes it even more sad.

Rest in peace Jon Polito. You will be missed. 

• Like 1

I only remember Jon Polito from "Homicide, Life on the Street," since I never saw the movies he was in. I'm glad everyone mentioned he played El Gato in Miami Vice. It's time to watch my MV episodes again. :o

My biggest shock was when I read he was gay!!     They showed a picture of him with his husband.

Please don't take offense, anyone.......... but I never expected a tough, bad-ass guy like him to be gay. :wuerg:

Live and learn!

Rest in Peace, Jon, you were one of the best! :thumbsup: