Songs that should've played on VICE

MTVcops

Recently I was thinking about which popular 80's artists/bands did not appear on Vice. And the only 4 I could think of off the top of my head were:

Madonna

Prince

George Micheals

Michael Jackson (Roxwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" in the pilot doesn't count)

4 hours ago, MTVcops said:

^Didn't they use that in "Whatever works".

Shame they didn't use my favourite genesis song. I think Magnum PI used it at one point so maybe that's why they didn't.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Recently I was thinking about which popular 80's artists/bands did not appear on Vice. And the only 4 I could think of off the top of my head were:

Madonna

Prince

George Micheals

Michael Jackson

I'm not sure, as I haven't seen through the entire series in years but did David Bowie have any song in the shows original run?

A number like Criminal World would have been a perfect match along with maybe a little guest appearnce by Mr. Bowie, who at the time of 1983-1984 were probably at his absolute commercial peak.

Hall & Oates always felt like they belong in Miami Vice. So many great tunes and they too were at their commercial heydays throughout the first half of the 80s:

Talk Talk and their brilliant 1986 hit Life's What You Make It with its huge, explosive organ sounds, big blasting drums, thundering but yet "simple" guitar and piano riff and of course on top of that, Mark Hollis beautiful voice, would have been a perfect choice for one of the more dramatic episodes in Miami Vice season 3.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, ArtieRollins said:

Talk Talk and their brilliant 1986 hit Life's What You Make It with its huge, explosive organ sounds, big blasting drums, thundering but yet "simple" guitar and piano riff and of course on top of that, Mark Hollis beautiful voice, would have been a perfect choice for one of the more dramatic episodes in Miami Vice season 3.  

It made the Vice City (PlayStation) soundtrack :thumbsup:

Great song!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

It made the Vice City (PlayStation) soundtrack :thumbsup:

It sure did, that, and it made me a big fan of Talk Talk. 

I Loved driving through Vice City during night time, listening to its perfect soundtrack. Even the talk radio show was entertaining, the commercials (hilarious stuff), no other GTA game at least for me comes close.

Another great Talk Talk number, Tomorrow Started from their 1984 album, It's My Life. I guess it probably have more of a Miami Vice feel to it than Life's What You Make, and it is a shame they never released it as a single.

I always liked that band. There later stuff was very dreamy and sort of out there such as "Rene" and "Eden".

One song I can think of that should have been on MV was "International" by Thomas Leer.  I could write an entire episode around that one song just for the lyrics alone!

watch?v=J54qSIQnukchttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J54qSIQnukc

Big Man Restless by Kissing the pink

Lou Gramm - Warmest Rising Sun

Scary Thieves - The Waiting Game

Martha and the Muffins - Cooling the Medium

Payolas - Eyes of a Stranger

Images in Vogue - In the House (Phil the Shill when Switek shoots his TV set)

Ultravox - Lament

Mission Uk - Tower of Strength or almost any Simple Minds tune as they all have GREAT BASELINES!!! Shake the house....

There were so many tunes that could add to the sensation of MV..........................................

Edited by Stinger390X

Another great Vice city track^

That reminds me, Someone made a montage of MV with "I ran". It's funny how a song can encapsulate the mood of the whole show without actually appearing on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vincent Hanna said:

Another great Vice city track^

That reminds me, Someone made a montage of MV with "I ran". It's funny how a song can encapsulate the mood of the whole show without actually appearing on it.

Great video, Vincent!   :thumbsup:

All great songs on this thread!

A band I just recently discovered. I thought their band name was a weird choice, but it was something from a 17th century story.

Pure 80s sound. I wonder if PSY got some inspiration here. :) 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

or almost any Simple Minds tune as they all have GREAT BASELINES!!!

If I had to pick just one Simple Minds song, and one that might fit well with the early new wavish style of Miami Vice, I think it has to be something like Seeing Out The Angel.

• Like 1