Were C & T less tough because they didn't curse?

Tony D.

In recent years, movies & TV shows have a lot of cursing.  I don't remember hearing Crockett or Tubbs using any curse words to make their commands to hitmen & dealers sound more tough. If I missed some, let me know..........but also did anyone ever feel they looked weak because they didn't use bawdy language?

To me, Crockett always sounded tough & cool & so did Tubbs !  :evil: :cool: 

Edited by Tony D.
  • Like 2

Good question/topic! There were some foul language in the show overall, can't remember the specific words used at the moment, but to me it didn't make Crockett and Tubbs appear weak at all. Because there were very little swearing used on the show, it actually surprised me, when I did hear any. 

They used their body language being physical and temper to appear intimidating/tough and then of course they had their guns. And Crockett's alligator. :)

I agree, that in todays television there is too much of the f-ing used. :D  

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

In "Honor Among Thieves" I liked Tubbs' remark to one of the gangsters. The guy said "Someday you & me are gonna dance" & Tubbs with a mean look said, " strike up the band!"

Tough & cool with class!

I'd like to see more examples.

38 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I agree, that in todays television there is too much of the f-ing used.

I wonder how many f-words would have been thrown into the script if Marty Scorsese or Renny Harlin had done an episode of Miami Vice.

I just watched Die Hard 2: Die Hard (1990) and released the same year as Goodfellas (1990), both of these movies includes so many f-words that if it were a drinking game for every curse, one would be knocked out after a couple of minutes or less. 

0:35-0:39 and then again 0:44-0:48 Dennis Franz and Bruce were a hilarious team, even more funny in this edited cut.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ArtieRollins said:

I wonder how many f-words would have been thrown into the script if Marty Scorsese or Renny Harlin had done an episode of Miami Vice.

I just watched Die Hard 2: Die Hard (1990) and released the same year as Goodfellas (1990), both of these movies includes so many f-words that if it were a drinking game for every curse, one would be knocked out after a couple of minutes or less. 

0:35-0:39 and then again 0:44-0:48 Dennis Franz and Bruce were a hilarious team, even more funny in this edited cut.

Yeah, I had forgotten a lot of the f-words were also used in movies in the past. The best movies in my opinion were made in the nineties and some in early/mid 00's. Anyway...  A fun scene with Robert De Niro in the movie Analyze This, I watched the other night. He tries to talk civilized in a polite manner with the mobster Primo, but fails and a lot swearing comes out. Also one of my favorite actors in his older roles. :cool:

I think the amount of bad language in Miami Vice were balanced enough for me. :) 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 2

Maybe Crockett was just too much Southern Gentleman to swear... like Evan Freed sort of half remarked... :)

I don't know... if we're indeed taking "Evan" as an example, "Get the hell off my boat" was pretty much enough in that scene... same with most other scenes during the course of the show. And I don't see how more profanity would have made the show any better than it was.

Edited by Daytona74

i think people are cussing more now than they were 30 years ago. i hear men all over the place with foul language. can't punctuate a sentence without the f word. actually i prefer not to hear it too much in tv and movies. i'm old school i guess.

• Like 2

I don't like the cussing either, nor too much violence in movies. I don't mind a bit of the swearing like in comedy's and such, but generally, I prefer it without any of that language.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArtieRollins said:

I was a senior in Cardinal Hayes High School with Martin Scorsese. He signed my year book.........He should blush :o when he faces the priests. The 75th Anniversary of the school is coming up with a big dinner. He & Regis Philbin are honored guests.

• Like 1

There were some cursing in Season 5 but it just sounded out of place for the show as if they were trying too hard to be edgy, "We're going to nail the bastard". etc

I don't think there was ever an F-bomb on the show though. The perfect example of Crockett and Tubbs commanding people through body language is in El Veijo when he's talking to Steve Buscemi on his boat and he just points at him and he backs down. It's pretty badass. Too many shows noawadays are filled with wannabe tough guys who couldn't intimidate a paper bag. C&Ts were the real deal.

Edited by Vincent Hanna
  • Like 3

There is no need to swear to be tough.  Raising of one eyebrow, a snarl, a blunt pointing of the index finger.  C & T could be civil and tough at the same time. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

There is no need to swear to be tough.  Raising of one eyebrow, a snarl, a blunt pointing of the index finger.  C & T could be civil and tough at the same time. 

...............or just put your cigarette out in the guy's cottage cheese!  :D :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I distinctly remember them using "other" words in place of swear words, which I think was a good decision.  Anyone can swear, but like mentioned above...there are so many other words you can use and gestures you can make to get the point across.