Colombians vs Miami Vice 1986

TheGreatMcCarthy

Miami 1986: Not Everybody Was a "Vice" Fan

Call it a "Miami Vice" minority report -- WTVJ's Jon Crane found some South Floridians who were none to happy with the massive mid-1980s hit.

Not fans of the show: Locals who came from Colombia. They were none too pleased with the image of Colombia that followers of the adventures of Crocket & Tubbs received every week. Colombian diplomats and journalists were also entering the fray.

It's nteresting to note that Crane reported this story not from Miami but from Fort Lauderdale -- and that one of the disgruntled Colombian "Vice" viewers was a pharmaceutical saleman, which must have been awkward in the mid-1980s.

Subscribe to the Lynn and Louis Wolfson II Florida Moving Image Archives’ YouTube channel and tune in to the fascination and fun of Miami and Florida’s past, captured on film and video and preserved by the Wolfson Archives at Miami Dade College.

• Like 2

I really can't sympathize with the Columbian people. When the "Godfather" came out and all the other Mafia movies.....people said to me,  oh, the Italians are all in the Mafia. I had to educate these people on how stupid that is.

Same thing when Donald Trump is accused of saying all Mexicans are rapists, drug dealers etc.  He was only referring to the illegal people sneaking over the border, who fit that description.........not everyone! :p

Over-generaliztion about ethnic groups etc is a technique used by the entertainment industry and unfortunately politicians.  People should not be offended.  Trump does not believe that all Mexicans are rapist any more than the Miami Vice writers believed that all Colombians are drug dealers.  (sorry for the reference to politics - won't happen again.)  I worked with a career Army NCO originally from Colombia who knew Pablo Escobar but was one of the finest people I ever met.

2 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Over-generaliztion about ethnic groups etc is a technique used by the entertainment industry and unfortunately politicians.  People should not be offended.  Trump does not believe that all Mexicans are rapist any more than the Miami Vice writers believed that all Colombians are drug dealers.  (sorry for the reference to politics - won't happen again.)  I worked with a career Army NCO originally from Colombia who knew Pablo Escobar but was one of the finest people I ever met.

Yes very good point Jim - its just mainstream over-generalization. The Simpsons do it a hell of a lot too:D