If MV was made today?

PGJ

What do you guys think of this?  I like to beleive that if Miami Vice was set in the present this would be the Ferrari of choice as replacement to the Daytona.

This is my black Ferrari California.....

Or is it?   Its actually a 2003 Mercedes 500SL based kit car.

IMG_3537.JPG

Edited by PGJ
Update photo
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, PGJ said:

What do you guys think of this?  I like to beleive that if Miami Vice was set in the present this would be the Ferrari of choice as replacement to the Daytona.

This is my black Ferrari California.....

Or is it?   Its actually a 2003 Mercedes 500SL based kit car.

IMG_3537.JPG

Beautiful Car!:D

That's a nice car you've got there, PGJ :thumbsup:

I kind of thought it looked like a retractable roof there... didn't quite think it would be a done-up Merc though... :)

Difficult to say which car they would realistically take nowadays for a remake of Miami Vice. The Daytona was a myth and a legend even when it was still in production.There haven't been many Ferraris since which would come close to the image the Daytona still enjoyed in the 80s.

And whatever car Colin Ferrell was driving in the movie (I don't even remember the model) was just an also-ran as well.

But if they get Ferrari on board as a sponsor again, then surely they'll use a late model Ferrari of some kind. Similar to what they did with the Testarossa.

42 minutes ago, Daytona74 said:

That's a nice car you've got there, PGJ :thumbsup:

I kind of thought it looked like a retractable roof there... didn't quite think it would be a done-up Merc though... :)

Difficult to say which car they would realistically take nowadays for a remake of Miami Vice. The Daytona was a myth and a legend even when it was still in production.There haven't been many Ferraris since which would come close to the image the Daytona still enjoyed in the 80s.

And whatever car Colin Ferrell was driving in the movie (I don't even remember the model) was just an also-ran as well.

But if they get Ferrari on board as a sponsor again, then surely they'll use a late model Ferrari of some kind. Similar to what they did with the Testarossa.

It really does have a convertible hard top!  I figured the original MV Daytona was a really nice kit car version of a Ferrar as this is.  It does look and sound the part although not had any Phil Collins playing on a night run yet!

That is a pretty neat looking conversion, really! You certainly had me fooled.

There are quite poorly carried out kit car conversions out there... I think I saw a kit once to turn an old model Honda CRX (a.k.a as the Del Sol in the U.S.) into a Lamborghini or something. It looked horrible.

• Administrators

As far as kit cars go, that looks pretty good. Though one of the dead giveaways on most kit cars are the wheel wells, it always looks like the car is too high. I'd personally lower it a bit.

Nice kit nonetheless, for someone who has dreams but can't afford a Ferrari. :p

Interesting kit car!

I always envied European technology as it is a decade ahead of north America. (Don't tell that to the Americans ... shhhhhhhhhhh)

I was a huge fan of Top Gear and have 20 seasons of it on DVD. Watched every one with wide open eyes and learned a lot about cars, being a piston head myself.

I wonder what boat anchor Tubbs would drive? I also loved Switec's T-Bird rag so what would replace that in modern terms?

• Like 1

• Administrators
30 minutes ago, Stinger390X said:

I wonder what boat anchor Tubbs would drive? I also loved Switec's T-Bird rag so what would replace that in modern terms?

Tubbs - 2016 El Dorado
2016-Cadillac-Eldorado-front.jpg

Switek - They don't make T-Bird's anymore, so perhaps a Mustang?

202540-2016-ford-mustang-convertible-roa

Or they could just cruise in their classics, since they were classics then, and are still classics now, and classics are the coolest cars out there!

The bug van - 2017 GMC
2017-gmc-savana-cargo-mov-exterior-mm1-l

Maybe Vice can confiscate a Benzo for Gina and/or Trudy?

2017-mercedes-benz-s-class_100551793_l.j

Or an MX-5/Miata

2016-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-Club-PLACEMENT-626

• Like 1

That Caddy looks good!

I was at a car show a couple of years ago in London and GM had brought a concept 12 cylinder car to the show. surprisingly it looks very similar to the pic you provided. They never did make the car but that is the problem with car companies.

I go to the big auto show every year and they all display these magnificent automobiles that are never built. It's a shame really as Ford, GM and Chrysler all do it....... Sadly they make these prototypes and inspire interest and then they don't produce them?

I asked the Lincoln representative last year if they intend to come out with a two door - two seater sports coupe. They said no and I explained I would buy one in a heartbeat if they made it. Sadly Cadillac was the only make or such a vehicle and I will not own another GM again EVER! I have had Lincolns on and off for over 30 years and the last one I had was the Mark VIII which I loved dearly. Sadly it's life came to an end when the floor boards and rear suspension started to rust. Damn salt!!!!!! Had this for many years and everything still worked including the automatic suspension levelers (which failed for many other owners)

Very fast car for an executive type auto! 4.6 was awesome!

a2934238.jpg

Edited by Stinger390X
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, James said:

As far as kit cars go, that looks pretty good. Though one of the dead giveaways on most kit cars are the wheel wells, it always looks like the car is too high. I'd personally lower it a bit.

Nice kit nonetheless, for someone who has dreams but can't afford a Ferrari. :p

Good spot James, it was actually up on its air suspension at the time.  It does lower into flight mode!

I think the car looks great. Probably fools everyone that sees it.

The Daytona kits were impressive in there time. But in the eighties people only saw a real Ferrari during the races on tv or in the newspaper. So fooling the public was easy. But now, (with smart phones) if you can fool someone, then it's a quality build. The Mcburnies were built on the C3 corvette, so I tell everyone that it's a Chevy.  Baby boomers remember and love it. Millenniums think it's cool that an old corvette is wearing a tuxedo. I just tell them it's a Ferrari spelled with a " Y". FERRARY 

• Like 2

• Administrators
7 hours ago, PGJ said:

Good spot James, it was actually up on its air suspension at the time.  It does lower into flight mode!

Oh, so it's riding on airbags? Nice! 

7 hours ago, Bigsarg said:

I think the car looks great. Probably fools everyone that sees it.

The Daytona kits were impressive in there time. But in the eighties people only saw a real Ferrari during the races on tv or in the newspaper. So fooling the public was easy. But now, (with smart phones) if you can fool someone, then it's a quality build. The Mcburnies were built on the C3 corvette, so I tell everyone that it's a Chevy.  Baby boomers remember and love it. Millenniums think it's cool that an old corvette is wearing a tuxedo. I just tell them it's a Ferrari spelled with a " Y". FERRARY 

It does fool most everybody, I think of it as Italian styling with german build quality!  One guy calls his a Furrari, its an accent thing!  

I love the Ferrari California and, since I can't find a good Daytona replica that fits my needs,  have seriously considered buying this car due to its color combo/rare Daytona seats due to it being close to Crockett's car

http://inventory.mgmsl.com/web/used/Ferrari-California-2011-Warrensville-Heights-Ohio/30554885/

I love this car but in NO way would a "new" 'Miami Vice ever use the California.  It is too "common" and not a rare Ferrari at all.  It is only an 8 cylinder...not the required 12 cylinder that a "true" Ferrari should be.  Plus, keep in mind, that Crockett's Daytona was a  12 year old car (1972) when the show originally aired (1984).  A true 12 cylinder Ferrari today that was made 12 ish years ago and is a true exotic (such as the Daytona was) would be the Ferrari Enzo.  Only 399 Enzo's were made world wide.  Only 122 Daytona Spyders were made worldwide from 1968-73.  The Enzo clearly is even more exotic looking that the Daytona so certainly wouldn't be good for undercover work, though!  

Another "rare" Ferrari of that 12 year old age would be the 575 'Super America' which was built in 2005-06.  Only 559 were made

hqdefault.jpg

Better than the Enzo for under cover work

• Administrators

There aren't many V12 Ferrari's being made these days. Besides the LaFerrari which is probably out of the question of being a Crockett car, there's the F12 which I'm not sure they make a spyder for. 
ADV1-Ferrari-F12-Berlinetta-lowered-ten-

ADV1-Ferrari-F12-Berlinetta-lowered-ten-

It looks pretty nice, especially with those custom wheels, but I feel like a 458 Spider would better suit Miami.

ferrari-458-spider-black-image-180.jpg

10 hours ago, Mvice8489 said:

I love the Ferrari California and, since I can't find a good Daytona replica that fits my needs,  have seriously considered buying this car due to its color combo/rare Daytona seats due to it being close to Crockett's car

http://inventory.mgmsl.com/web/used/Ferrari-California-2011-Warrensville-Heights-Ohio/30554885/

I love this car but in NO way would a "new" 'Miami Vice ever use the California.  It is too "common" and not a rare Ferrari at all.  It is only an 8 cylinder...not the required 12 cylinder that a "true" Ferrari should be.  Plus, keep in mind, that Crockett's Daytona was a  12 year old car (1972) when the show originally aired (1984).  A true 12 cylinder Ferrari today that was made 12 ish years ago and is a true exotic (such as the Daytona was) would be the Ferrari Enzo.  Only 399 Enzo's were made world wide.  Only 122 Daytona Spyders were made worldwide from 1968-73.  The Enzo clearly is even more exotic looking that the Daytona so certainly wouldn't be good for undercover work, though!  

Another "rare" Ferrari of that 12 year old age would be the 575 'Super America' which was built in 2005-06.  Only 559 were made

hqdefault.jpg

Better than the Enzo for under cover work

That's a beauty !  Love the wheels.

Any room for Izzy in the back seat? ?(