Hello from a Hammer aficionado!

Den Taylor

Hello everyone,
glad to be here and thanks for the cool forum! :D

I'm Den and I'm located in Germany. I consider the US my second home as I lived there for 7 years and also visited several times. Unfortunately, I haven't been to Miami yet but who knows.....maybe someday? :cool:

Believe it or not I actually didn't watch the show until 6 years ago or so. Even though I've been an 80's buff, Miami Vice didn't really grab me. I know! Shame on me. But I think it was largely the hype and cliche that didn't make me touch it....Eventually I gave in and I guess I have to thank Jan Hammer and his music for that. I really love his Miami Vice stuff and when I got the Comple Collection I was surprised that there were SO many superb other themes - and even more surprised when I found out - via youtube and this forum - that there was even more great unreleased stuff! Kudos to Dadrian Wilson in that regard. And Marty Castillo and other youtube uploaders. :thumbsup:

So yeah, I just had to watch the entire series then, paying special attention to the music. Boy, was I hooked! 
6 years later I'm at the point where I actually want to make my own Miami Vice like music and kind of join the Retro Wave bandwagon. A bit late haha but it's not like I'm new to that type of music. I've actually been playing keyboard since I was 14 and it's always been very 80s influenced. If my upcoming stuff is good enough I may distribute it on places like bandcamp. (An alternative platform for independet artists) As of matter of fact I'm in the full process of composing and recording - so far so good. :o)
Prior to that I've spent months of hunting down pretty much all sample libraries and VSTis that contain or emulate the synths that Jan used. So I'm going the DAW and soft synth route instead of the actual hardware route (like Dadrian?) . This has both advantages and disadvantages. But before I write novels about the music and all I will end my introduction here and save that for the Music and Jan Hammer subforums. ;)

I'm looking forward to talking to you all!

• Like 1

• Administrators

Welcome back to the 80's!  I'd just like to add that Dadrian would definitely be the man to talk to about Jan's music, equipment or any other music related topic. He's a great guy and I'm sure he'd love to help!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
21 hours ago, Den Taylor said:

Yes, Im hooked on that one too. Thanks a lot for your efforts, Crockett!

And thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :)

More than welcome Den!:shout::D:D