MacGyver

James

• Administrators

So, the latest 80s show to be remade is MacGyver. Does anybody watch the remake? 

I just got into it, it's pretty bad, but not terrible, and nothing like the original... But for some reason I'm enjoying it. I guess it's kind of like Burn Notice, the way they put together unlikely combinations to create a tool or weapon. That must be the part that I like about it. Since Burn Notice was pretty much MacGyver, Miami Vice, and Magnum PI put together.

It kind of made me think... What would a Miami Vice remake be like? Would it be bad and nothing like the original, as is the case with most remakes?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Interesting ! I doubt a remake would work for a show with such a strong brand as Miami Vice !:D

It'll be hard for them to get it right. 

As we've seen with Hawaii 5-0, and now MacGyver - Remakes are nothing like the originals, they have the same concept but different ways of making it, different characters, etc.

Watched a few H5-0 and found it quite trite! Yes... nothing like the original, except for name.

I find using a recognized "Brand" to sell something new repulsive. Sadly the remakes are never as good as the originals.

Haven't seen the new MacGyver either but I doubt it will be better than the original.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Stinger390X said:

Watched a few H5-0 and found it quite trite! Yes... nothing like the original, except for name.

I find using a recognized "Brand" to sell something new repulsive. Sadly the remakes are never as good as the originals.

Haven't seen the new MacGyver either but I doubt it will be better than the original.

Yup. it isn't better than the original, however some signature things are there and I am still enjoying it. Despite the bad reviews its getting. Sadly I feel like it's going to be a one season wonder.

It isn't old MacGyver, but it's still a show about spies, I guess.

I saw MacGyver in the TV listings and it said "new", so I thought they were making new episodes with the same cast. I'm glad I saw this thread! I may watch to see if it is the same.

I always liked the way MacGyver would rig up some kind of device out of things he found to get out of a tight spot.  Cool! :cool:

I just saw this in an article about the new MacGyver :

" Lenkov -- who counts Miami Vice, Mission Impossible and Magnum P.I. as other shows he also wants to reboot -- is also the boss behind CBS' Hawaii Five-0, which is heading into its seventh season and will be paired with MacGyver on Friday nights. So the question must be asked: Is there a crossover in the works?

"I hope so," he says "I already planted a seed that Jack new McGarrett."

So he wants to reboot Miami Vice.............this I don't like.......that will put an end to our wish for a series with the original, but older cast! ;( 

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Tony D. said:

I just saw this in an article about the new MacGyver :

" Lenkov -- who counts Miami Vice, Mission Impossible and Magnum P.I. as other shows he also wants to reboot -- is also the boss behind CBS' Hawaii Five-0, which is heading into its seventh season and will be paired with MacGyver on Friday nights. So the question must be asked: Is there a crossover in the works?

"I hope so," he says "I already planted a seed that Jack new McGarrett."

So he wants to reboot Miami Vice.............this I don't like.......that will put an end to our wish for a series with the original, but older cast! ;( 

Oh wow, he wants to do Miami Vice? Mr. Lenkov should come to us first... For ideas of course - As we are full of them. :)

Though, maybe we're in luck because he'd definitely run into the problem is that he makes shows for CBS, and Miami Vice is owned by NBC/Universal. 

However, I feel like he might not be a bad choice as someone to reboot it, because his shows do have some sort of a "coolness" to them. So if he actually cares enough to bring the art of the original MV, and find the budget for some sort of popular music with a good vibe, it might be alright. The very first thing he should do is get in touch with Don Johnson though, because DJ talked about wanting to do a reboot a bit over a year ago.

10 hours ago, James said:

Oh wow, he wants to do Miami Vice? Mr. Lenkov should come to us first... For ideas of course - As we are full of them. :)

Though, maybe we're in luck because he'd definitely run into the problem is that he makes shows for CBS, and Miami Vice is owned by NBC/Universal. 

However, I feel like he might not be a bad choice as someone to reboot it, because his shows do have some sort of a "coolness" to them. So if he actually cares enough to bring the art of the original MV, and find the budget for some sort of popular music with a good vibe, it might be alright. The very first thing he should do is get in touch with Don Johnson though, because DJ talked about wanting to do a reboot a bit over a year ago.

If Don Johnson became involved, we might see a reboot with new actors as Billy & Tubbs' son, but also DJ & PMT as senior officers helping and advising them.

I wouldn't be against some thing like that.

3 hours ago, Tony D. said:

If Don Johnson became involved, we might see a reboot with new actors as Billy & Tubbs' son, but also DJ & PMT as senior officers helping and advising them.

I agree that would work !

or DJ and PMT as retired cops who get up with some old adversaries in the Florida keys or somewhere similar ( where the water is warm and the drinks are cold!)

:D

• Like 1

I've already posted my thoughts about a revival here. http://miamiviceonline.com/index.php?/topic/11378-the-last-big-missed-chance/#comment-181254 And I don't know... I'm kind of being ambivalent of a new Miami Vice series. For nostalgia reasons it would be nice, but seriously the film industry has got to stop making these remakes of old TV shows and movies. :D

Personally I don't see it working out, it's just not the same. As it has already been said, Miami Vice won't have the same feel to it. It would be the same setting, only different stories, what more can you add? And it would be impossible to recreate the atmosphere the original show had.

Miami Vice is out on Blu-ray, so the only thing left would be/is a Cast reunion. But with Don and Philip too this time.

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Tony D. said:

Yeah exactly. A reboot would be better than a remake. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of other remakes, I've personally been looking forward to the "Gilmore Girls" revival. First I thought they were going to make the TV show into a movie, but it's being revived to a four episode miniseries, lasting 90 minutes each. All of the old cast members are back, which I think is awesome. Except for the actor Edward Herrmann, who passed away in 2014. The show ended in 2007 and is returning 9 years later, in Nov 2016. It is nice to see the actors on screen again, but it's also weird, cause they all look so old now.

"As signalled by its tagline "Life's short. Talk fast", Gilmore Girls is known for its fast-paced dialogue filled with pop culture references. Much of the dialogue is peppered with references to film, television shows, music, literature and celebrity culture. Music also plays a large part in the show as a frequent topic of conversation between characters and in its appearance in scenes themselves"

Again many other TV series and movies have failed in being revived, so it's gonna be interesting if Gilmore Girls revival can live up to the expectations.

Oy with the poodles already. :D

Edited by summer84
  • Like 1