Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

On 12/9/2016 at 11:44 AM, James said:

Mill Creek licensed it for region 1 (North America, NTSC regions), while Fabulous Films have the rights for region 2 (PAL) which is the UK, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Arabia, and Africa.

Fabulous Films' releases on the 12th. http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/388

Ok, so we have two different releases, but are those the exact same copies? i mean are they the exact same source blue rays? cos if so, then if milk creek has defunct stereo track, all other releases will also have corrupt track

• Administrators
13 hours ago, S0NNY said:

Ok, so we have two different releases, but are those the exact same copies? i mean are they the exact same source blue rays? cos if so, then if milk creek has defunct stereo track, all other releases will also have corrupt track

Yes, it's the exact same source from Universal/NBC. The defunct track was the 5.1 surround sound track, not the stereo track. The stereo track is the original stereo track. And Fabulous Films is using the 5.1 surround sound track ONLY. 

How's everyone enjoying their US bluray set? Haven't heard many people talk about it besides the dodgy 5.1 surround and the inconsistent picture quality but at least yours is watchable.:p

Hope you guys are savouring it for the rest of us.

Overall it's a good set despite the audio bugs. The Stereo track on the U.S. set is terrific and I watched over half of the episodes and can say only a few had any really noticeable picture quality issues. Season Two's episodes look the best due to the widest amount of colors used and some of the best cinematography. Buddies and Bushido in particular looked excellent. Three through Five looked pretty consistent on the episodes I watched with only some minor compression on Lend Me an Ear in a few shots that was only really noticeable at the top of the screen. Smuggler's Blues has received the most significant upgrade of all of them though with much improved picture quality and clarity over the old murky print that the Universal set had. 

• Like 1

So even though im in Europe i i think im gonna go for Milk Creek set, cos at least it has native stereo tracks. It doesnt matter what region my blur rays will be, cos i will be using my computer ROM and ill simply overpass region bullshit thing.

• Administrators
50 minutes ago, S0NNY said:

So even though im in Europe i i think im gonna go for Milk Creek set, cos at least it has native stereo tracks. It doesnt matter what region my blur rays will be, cos i will be using my computer ROM and ill simply overpass region bullshit thing.

Does matter, you need to either find the codes to make yours region free, or buy an already region free player. Most players have codes which you input to either change the region code or make it region free, so you should look it up for the make and model of yours. 

On 12/9/2016 at 9:44 AM, James said:

Mill Creek licensed it for region 1 (North America, NTSC regions), while Fabulous Films have the rights for region 2 (PAL) which is the UK, most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Arabia, and Africa.

Fabulous Films' releases on the 12th. http://www.fabulousfilms.com/products/388

Well we will know tomorrow this set is still priced at around $200

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Well we will know tomorrow this set is still priced at around $200

I'm gonna wait for some reviews, and then wait a little longer for the price to go down. 

Kind of disappointing since I was hoping to watch it over the summer, how much I'll be willing to pay will depend on the quality of the release. It's more than double what Mill Creek wanted for theirs, which is astonishing.

Is it their greed, or are they using more expensive discs? I think they were using more discs than Mill Creek, so maybe that's what we're paying for. I'm hoping that more discs means less compression. 

$277 AUD ($202 USD) seems a bit much for a box set though.

Same with me. It would be really nice, if the price drops to more than half of what is now and I'm hoping for some overall positive reviews.

The UK set is way too expensive, for what I consider reasonable. Maybe the price will go down sometime in the new year...

19 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Same with me. It would be really nice, if the price drops to more than half of what is now and I'm hoping for some overall positive reviews.

The UK set is way too expensive, for what I consider reasonable. Maybe the price will go down sometime in the new year...

It is I agree very pricey considering this may be a flawed set :done:

• Like 2

On 12/12/2016 at 2:57 AM, James said:

Is it their greed, or are they using more expensive discs? I think they were using more discs than Mill Creek, so maybe that's what we're paying for. I'm hoping that more discs means less compression.

It should do, but nowhere near enough to justify the price imho. Especially with no original sound mixes on there.

On 11/12/2016 at 8:47 AM, S0NNY said:

Dangerous as Mill Creek will not send out fixed discs internationally, so you'd be stuck with whatever errors it arrives with. And that's assuming they are even going to fix all of them, no word yet on the Mirror Image audio.

IMHO there is no Blu-ray release of this series worth the money yet. I'm hoping some other publishers get in on this and right the wrongs of the Mill Creek and Fabulous sets, no way I'm getting involved in quality checking a series for a company on my own time and money - they ought to have done all this before releasing it, not just leaving it to the consumer to notice issues. Shocking lack of care on the part of Universal too in delivering defective assets, but there's no way even small companies like these should be putting things out without full QC. What they're hoping is that the number of replacements they have to do will still amount to less time and money spent than on doing a full QC I bet. And if that's unfair, and that's not the case, then I wish they'd done a better job.

Here is a reply from Mill Creek to a review on Amazon:

10/13/16 - Mill Creek has responded to my inquiry and have forwarded my concerns to their production and manufacturing team to investigate the audio issues and will contact me when they have determined the best course of action should they offer replacement discs so there is hope they will fix this!

UPDATE: 10/31/16 - Mill Creek has responded to address the audio problems. They will be sending out corrected replacement discs! Here is the e-mail they just sent out:

"To our customers and fans of Miami Vice, we thank you for your patronage and passionate responses to the Miami Vice - Complete Series release on Blu-ray. We appreciate the messages we have received and have been following on forums and social media. We have investigated and reviewed the issues found, debated, and discussed. We hope we can provide answers and clarity because we want fans to be able to enjoy this landmark TV series to its fullest.

• Aspect Ratio
o It has always been our intention to release the series in its original, full screen aspect ratio which is how the HD masters were provided to us.

• Packaging
o Based on customer feedback, we chose to package this product using standard Blu-ray cases inside a slipcase instead of packaging using cardboard sleeves. Unfortunately, we cannot control how our resellers re-package and ship direct-to-consumer, so for any consumers receiving damaged product from shipping, please notify the retailer directly.

• Audio Sync
o The audio throughout the series is in sync as on the masters provided. For those moments questioned, they are a result of dubbing (ADR) from the production of the show. We have been unable to identify any occurrence of asynchronous audio as a result of our authoring of the episodes. We have concluded that the issues are more noticeable now than in previous DVD releases due to the uncompressed DTS-HD Master Audio and HD video which cause these slight imperfections to become much more audible than ever before. This also affects the dynamic range in the audio during scenes where background audio may also become more noticeable. This will vary by individual home audio systems, setups, and personalized audio settings.

• 5.1 Audio
o We have re-QCed each and every episode across all five seasons and have identified the following 4 episodes in Season 1 which have errors with the new 5.1 lossless audio:

“Heart of Darkness”
• The 5.1 audio track does have issues in the mix creating an echo/reverb-like effect that phases in and out periodically throughout the episode.

“The Home Invaders”
"Nobody Lives Forever"
• The 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio tracks were accidentally left-off the disc after we conducted the original QC

“Evan”
• The 5.1 audio track does have issues in the mix creating an echo/reverb-like effect that phases in and out periodically throughout the episode.

We apologize for these errors and are fully prepared to fix the issues in Season 1 on Discs 1 and 4 of the Blu-ray Complete Series set. We will send disc replacements out to customers who contact us and provide us with proof of purchase. It will take several weeks for replacement discs to become available, so we appreciate your patience as we work to resolve these errors."

To be fair, there is alot of dubbed dialogue that is slightly out of sync in the earlier seasons, so if someone who hasn't watched the show in 30 years or a new fan might think it's an error on Mill Creak/Universal's side.

On 12/11/2016 at 11:38 AM, James said:

Does matter, you need to either find the codes to make yours region free, or buy an already region free player. Most players have codes which you input to either change the region code or make it region free, so you should look it up for the make and model of yours. 

I will be watching my disks via PC anyway:) you can use special apps to simply overcome region lock:) just google about that stuff:) 

On 12/12/2016 at 4:57 AM, James said:

I'm gonna wait for some reviews, and then wait a little longer for the price to go down. 

Kind of disappointing since I was hoping to watch it over the summer, how much I'll be willing to pay will depend on the quality of the release. It's more than double what Mill Creek wanted for theirs, which is astonishing.

$277 AUD ($202 USD) seems a bit much for a box set though.

Here you can buy Miami Vice bluer rays for only 67 bucks:)  very cheap, here's the link , enjoy:)  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Miami-Vice-Complete-80s-TV-Series-Seasons-1-2-3-4-5-BluRay-Box-Set-NEW-/322249560213?hash=item4b07921095:g:I~AAAOSw9IpXybrq

Edited by S0NNY

Well, apparently Mill Creek started the replacement program, and included "Mirror Image" as there is no 2.0 audio on it (I've mentioned this some post behind).

The thing is that "Definitely Miami" has 10 seconds of 2.0 audio missing (exactly when "Cry" music starts), 5.1 is working fine, but the 2.0 has the issue.

Edited by ivoryjones

For me, as most of the issues have to do with the 5.1 mix, I never listen to this show in 5.1 anyway. it was meant to be listened to in Stereo, which suits me fine.  So as far as I'm concerned, overall, the picture quality is still heads and tails better than the original DVD release, with much more image detail.  Plus I think we've talked about this topic to death anyway, time for me to bow out. 

Edited by mvnyc

5 hours ago, mvnyc said:

For me, as most of the issues have to do with the 5.1 mix, I never listen to this show in 5.1 anyway. it was meant to be listened to in Stereo, which suits me fine.  So as far as I'm concerned, overall, the picture quality is still heads and tails better than the original DVD release, with much more image detail.  Plus I think we've talked about this topic to death anyway, time for me to bow out. 

You've not read the recent posts about Mirror Image and Definitely Miami then, which are errors and completely missing original 2.0 audio tracks. That's the worst thing about this, you can't just go with one option and be clear for the whole series.

10 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Well, apparently Mill Creek started the replacement program, and included "Mirror Image" as there is no 2.0 audio on it (I've mentioned this some post behind).

The thing is that "Definitely Miami" has 10 seconds of 2.0 audio missing (exactly when "Cry" music starts), 5.1 is working fine, but the 2.0 has the issue.

If you mean around the 43 minute mark as the car drives towards us kicking up all the dust then that is there on both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks of Mill Creek's DVD - so if there's a hole in the 2.0 on the Blu-ray that's a Blu-ray mastering error as the sources are the same as they put on the DVD and it's all there. Also, in addition, the 2.0 tracks on the DVD are the same sound quality as on the Blu-ray, so it's not like they are different lossless encodes as the 5.1 are on the Blu-ray, so it looks like a straight fumble.

6 hours ago, bodie said:

If you mean around the 43 minute mark as the car drives towards us kicking up all the dust then that is there on both the 5.1 and 2.0 tracks of Mill Creek's DVD - so if there's a hole in the 2.0 on the Blu-ray that's a Blu-ray mastering error as the sources are the same as they put on the DVD and it's all there. Also, in addition, the 2.0 tracks on the DVD are the same sound quality as on the Blu-ray, so it's not like they are different lossless encodes as the 5.1 are on the Blu-ray, so it looks like a straight fumble.

At 42m41s, the Stereo sound gets muted, and it only gets back to normal at 42m51s. So it's 10 seconds of no Stereo sound, 10 seconds that originally have only the song "Cry" from Godley & Creme (no dialogues). On 5.1 the music is there during 42m41s-42m51s, but there seems to be some sort of "click"/change of volume around that. Very weird. 

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

At 42m41s, the Stereo sound gets muted, and it only gets back to normal at 42m51s. So it's 10 seconds of no Stereo sound, 10 seconds that originally have only the song "Cry" from Godley & Creme (no dialogues). On 5.1 the music is there during 42m41s-42m51s, but there seems to be some sort of "click"/change of volume around that. Very weird. 

Really can't believe the extent of the issues in this day and age :(

• Like 1

Thanks for confirming ivoryjones, so yeah, that error has crept in for the Blu-ray, as it's all fine on their recent DVD of the same HD master :(

Edited by bodie

On 01/11/2016 at 11:04 AM, Ferrariman said:

Before you rush out to buy your blu-ray set, I suggest you read this.   I personally have chosen to wait until the problem is sorted out.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Miami-Vice-The-Complete-Series/22775

What a mess this whole blu ray release has been - a show that should be 100% on blu ray

• Like 2

• Administrators

I have a sneaking suspicion that there aren't any reviews for Fabulous Films' release because nobody actually bought it... For THAT price, who can blame them.

49 minutes ago, James said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that there aren't any reviews for Fabulous Films' release because nobody actually bought it... For THAT price, who can blame them.

Well... :) Two guys on this forum have the set in hand. And there is sort of a "review" with one image upload, not sure what to say about it. :D 

I'll be following this thread for further updates. http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=280905&page=31 Page 31, 32 and 33

And I agree the price is insane, even if it was a flawless set.