Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

18 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

OK so after working with the scanner/printer a bit I now can scan but not print.  I have scanned all 3 discs onto 2 photos. I can either upload to photobucket and link them here, or I can transcribe the codes as I see them. Which do you prefer?

Edit: on second thought, after uploading to Photobucket I don't think the resolution is sufficient for you to be able to see/transcribe the codes. So I will attempt to list them here:

S1DI:   OUTER BAND:  IFPILV80          (598811)   63260DO1R1    O1E     010001

INNER BAND:  IFPILV80           (598812)   63260D01R1    O1E      020001

S1D4:  OUTER BAND:  IFPILV79           (598814)   63260D04R1    O1E      040001

INNER BAND:   IFPILV79            (598815)   63260D04R1    01E       050001  

S4D4:  OUTER BAND:  IFPILV80            (600161)   6326OD16R1   O1E      020001 

INNER BAND:  IFPILV80            (600162)    63260D16R1    O1E     020001

Hope this helps......

Many thanks for that, it's hugely helpful to be able to identify the good stock without playing it :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Just my personal solution in order to get Mill Creek set and replacements even if you're out of USA: buy from a store (in my case it was Amazon.com) and have your BD set shipped to an address furnished by a package forwarding service (shipito in my case). Your store invoice will show a USA address and that will qualify as proof or purchase for the replacement. I hope I have written a line previously about the subject here or on the other earlier thread about BD, otherwise I'll feel guilty I haven't. If anyone needs any help on this, please feel free to PM me! I've lost count on how many times I had Miami Vice media shipped from and to USA (VHSs, CDs, Laserdiscs, DVDs, BDs), it is always a pleasure to have MV going or coming!

Yeah, true. Depends if Mill Creek would ship replacements to a shipping company. I suppose if not, one could ask a friend in the US. It's just all a bit of extra work and expense, which is why I've not done it. As it's not like the set is perfect even after the three new discs :(

15 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Just my personal solution in order to get Mill Creek set and replacements even if you're out of USA: buy from a store (in my case it was Amazon.com) and have your BD set shipped to an address furnished by a package forwarding service (shipito in my case). Your store invoice will show a USA address and that will qualify as proof or purchase for the replacement. I hope I have written a line previously about the subject here or on the other earlier thread about BD, otherwise I'll feel guilty I haven't. If anyone needs any help on this, please feel free to PM me! I've lost count on how many times I had Miami Vice media shipped from and to USA (VHSs, CDs, Laserdiscs, DVDs, BDs), it is always a pleasure to have MV going or coming!

Very creative. So I have not used any forwarding service but did Mill Creek then send your replacement discs to the forwarding service for re-sending on to you? (assume you are out of the States?). For the benefit of non-US persons in here, is it expensive to use this service?  Sounds like this could be the solution to get the Mill Creek set and get the replacement discs.

3 hours ago, bodie said:

Many thanks for that, it's hugely helpful to be able to identify the good stock without playing it :thumbsup:

Welcome, no worries. Though I am curious how you may approach this because if you order from say Amazon, they likely won't be able to tell you the codes upfront on the particular set in their inventory so that means you'd have to receive the set to check the discs. Then if they are not a match, you'd have to return the set and potentially continue the buy/returnprocess until they send you, eventually, a corrected set. Seems to me the ivoryjones forwarding solution may save you a lot of time and hassle. Just my 2 cents.

3 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

Welcome, no worries. Though I am curious how you may approach this because if you order from say Amazon, they likely won't be able to tell you the codes upfront on the particular set in their inventory so that means you'd have to receive the set to check the discs. Then if they are not a match, you'd have to return the set and potentially continue the buy/returnprocess until they send you, eventually, a corrected set. Seems to me the ivoryjones forwarding solution may save you a lot of time and hassle. Just my 2 cents.

Oh sure, it's for the convenience and clarity to know 100% what the corrected copies are without having to play them, and all that entails in terms of margin for error. As you could go to all that trouble of getting product shipped and then find in your hand is what you assume to be corrected stock, but don't realise until it's too late is actually the initial pressing. These things do happen sadly, for the very reasons you said before, the discs look identical, very easy for there to be a human error - did I have the corrected one in this hand or this hand??? :fireworks:

As I've said a few times, I'm not actually going the ivoryjones route just yet, I'll hang on for a bit and see that there are no Blu-ray releases of this in other territories :)

Edited by bodie

On 4/4/2017 at 4:42 PM, Tony D. said:

VHS tapes were perfectly fine, but I was glad DVD replaced them because of the smaller size & ease of finding something on the middle of a disc.

I still watch some of my old tapes of shows I don't have on DVD.

Some of the photos posted on this thread show quality differences so minute that it isn't worth the discussion. Example: A dark picture of the airplane in the swamp. The Mill Creek has deeper color & a little more swamp grass at the bottom.........but when you watch an episode who's going to pause the disc in the swamp & study the scene? I want to get to the point of the episode.

Like I said....I'll stay with my DVD's until there is a valid reason to make the change.

Tony brings us all down to earth with a bump ?! Of course you are right my friend - I have been guilty too of over analysing the new blu rays sets as Ive been interested in it . 

When you pause the picture for screen shots you lose some of the quality and do not get the quality you would on normal viewing. :fireworks::)

Watched the Pilot "Brother's Keeper" last nite on the Fabulous Films blu ray set and "Heart of Darkness" on the Millcreek blu ray set. I must say I'm pretty pleased with both in particular the Pilot on the FF set.

Vice has never looked this good and although not perfect the colour and detail has been greatly improved . I didn't notice the contrast issues at all on the FF set on my Hd tv. 

These screen shots come from the Fabulous Films blu ray set and look even better when not paused and watched normally . 

IMG_3358.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

A few more from the Fabulous Films blu ray - Pilot :done::)

These stills look best on a high res cell phone screen ( iPhone / Samsung) or Apple iPad etc . Just look at the detail of Crockett's jacket here 

IMG_3360.JPG

IMG_3366.JPG

IMG_3370.JPG

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt5 said:

Just look at the detail of Crockett's jacket here 

IMG_3366.JPG

Definitely silk! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

When Mill Creek sent me the replacement discs, it treated my shipito address just like any other US address - that was a good surprise to me.

One thing I've forgotten to say previously is that I'd advise choosing a relatively fast International shipping, and with a good tracking service. Whenever I have something important to receive or to send internationally, I choose something like that. For the Mill Creek release, I've chosen International Priority Mail for the set and for the replacement discs. Priority Mail is not the fastest, but it's sure fast enough. On the other hand, thankfully it's not the more expensive option either.

At the end, one US domestic shipment (just Amazon's, as Mill Creek paid its own shipment) and two international Priority Mail shipments cost me just a little below the ordinary price of the set itself (as I had the set with a very good pre-order discount from Amazon, at the end shipment was way more expensive than what I've actually paid for the set itself). So it's far from being cheap, and I was lucky I had no Custom taxes, it was a 50/50 chance, and I've had the green light both times, for the set and the replacements (it's important to check your Country's rules on imports before buying, some Countries may tax or even confiscate certain kinds of goods). Yet, it was cheaper than buying it from a local store in my Country that would sell Mill Creek on the "imports section" (if someone is thinking about importing Mill Creek set, that's also something to consider: will a local store at your Country import it and, if it does, will its profit margins still make it cheaper than you importing it all by yourself? In my case, best would be importing by myself).

Edited by ivoryjones
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dadrian said:

Definitely silk! :thumbsup:

Silk ! yes but wrong episode Dadrian he was in "Streetwise" ?!  Just joking here - the detail in that jacket though seen in the Pilot wow :balloon:

It's a matching jacket-pant suit if I remember correctly--one of my favorite Crockett costumes of the entire series!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dadrian said:

It's a matching jacket-pant suit if I remember correctly--one of my favorite Crockett costumes of the entire series!

Correct but did you notice DJ only wore this suit once in this episode in this scene .Great suit and scene :)

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 6:28 PM, Dadrian said:

Yes! Well, also at the club just before. :p

Ha ha ! yes 

What did you think of the stills I posted from my new blu ray set of the Pilot?!:radio:

Pics are awesome!  Thanks for sharing :)

It would be great if some of you who have invested in the new Blu-Ray sets and watched episodes (or whole seasons!) could add your impressions of the episodes in the episode discussion forum!  I love to hear other people's thoughts on each ep--often people bring out aspects that hadn't occurred to me.  This thread is (rightfully) primarily about the resolution, colors, sound, etc.--technical aspects.  I've enjoyed reading about them even though I'm not very techie myself.  But I'm sure you all have thoughts about the episodes' storylines, characters, music, etc. that have come to you while watching the new discs.  And how the restored (or enhanced) colors and sound have enhanced or not made a difference to the story told in the episode. 

• Like 3

On 4/11/2017 at 11:16 PM, vicegirl85 said:

Pics are awesome!  Thanks for sharing :)

It would be great if some of you who have invested in the new Blu-Ray sets and watched episodes (or whole seasons!) could add your impressions of the episodes in the episode discussion forum!  I love to hear other people's thoughts on each ep--often people bring out aspects that hadn't occurred to me.  This thread is (rightfully) primarily about the resolution, colors, sound, etc.--technical aspects.  I've enjoyed reading about them even though I'm not very techie myself.  But I'm sure you all have thoughts about the episodes' storylines, characters, music, etc. that have come to you while watching the new discs.  And how the restored (or enhanced) colors and sound have enhanced or not made a difference to the story told in the episode. 

Yes , good point Vicegirl85 - I have recently reviewed some Season 5 episodes in the review section . :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To all you guys, what episodes look much better on blu ray compared to DVD? For me, on S1, its Brother's Keeper, Glades, Smugglers Blues and The Home Invaders. The earlier episodes i don't notice any difference apart from less flicker and enhanced sharpness.

Im pretty sure the HD master of the pilot is the same as the 2006 broadcast. I just wish the restored title sequence was the same on the other episodes.

I think The Prodigal Son looks a little too murky.

• Like 1

Best thing is to get an HD home projector, or go round to someone you know who has one and get the picture blown up nice and big. That's when you see what the HD has got over DVD. If you look on a small screen, then yeah, it's like looking at things on a phone or tablet; everything looks HD at smaller sizes unless the source is absolutely awful.

The bigger the presentation, the worse the DVD looks and the more you need the extra picture information the Blu-ray has :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched El Viejo on the US Mill Creek Blu-ray set, when the car drives into the graveyard, there's a shot of it approaching mist. Then it cuts to Willie Nelson moving forward and then cuts back to the car going into the fog (the moment in the image below)

When it does that, the video grinds and judders for three seconds, so the car isn't moving smoothly. Tried it on two players and playing the file off a hard drive, always the same thing happens.

If anyone has a spare moment, please do see if this is a general fault. I'd also be interested if it's on the Fabulous UK Blu-ray as it would mean it's a problem with the source file. But I suspect it's a problem with the Mill Creek. Many thanks if anyone checks :)

viejo.jpg

Edited by bodie

Yet another flaw with the BR set. Mine does it too.

It goes smoothly on my universal dvd.

Hopefully this is the last fault with the set.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Remington said:

Cant help ya there

Yes, it happens on the UK Blu-ray set too, I've just had confirmed. So it's an error with the source master, not with either Mill Creek or Fabulous films. Still a real pain to have these flaws, they should all be perfect :(

• Like 2