Problems With the Blu-Ray Release!

Ferrariman

Its more likely that this was a problem with the scanning of the Film itself and not a Blu Ray Release related Problem.
The Audio problems were bad but this one is not bad an not a fault of mill creek.

Everytime i read here in the message board "Ah this is crap about the blu rays...and that is crap..oh and that too...." someone could think the Blu Rays are really a bad thing and not worth it.

Guys..the series NEVER looked better (with the exception of Prodigal Son) and i was truly impressed at first seeing this baby in HD. Blow me away!
In HD standards it is only between ok and good HD Picture Quality because of some Digital Noise Reduction and other stuff. But it looks really fine and its by far the best the show has ever looked.
So its a bit sad to see all the people here writing as if the blu rays are a bad choice to watch the show.
I certainly dont wanna go back to the DVDs :)

5 hours ago, SwissTubbs said:

Its more likely that this was a problem with the scanning of the Film itself and not a Blu Ray Release related Problem.
The Audio problems were bad but this one is not bad an not a fault of mill creek.

Everytime i read here in the message board "Ah this is crap about the blu rays...and that is crap..oh and that too...." someone could think the Blu Rays are really a bad thing and not worth it.

Guys..the series NEVER looked better (with the exception of Prodigal Son) and i was truly impressed at first seeing this baby in HD. Blow me away!
In HD standards it is only between ok and good HD Picture Quality because of some Digital Noise Reduction and other stuff. But it looks really fine and its by far the best the show has ever looked.
So its a bit sad to see all the people here writing as if the blu rays are a bad choice to watch the show.
I certainly dont wanna go back to the DVDs :)

Amen. And actually The Prodigal Son doesn't even look bad. Just more contrast.

6 hours ago, SwissTubbs said:

You're writing all that after a post that said it was on the UK set too, so nobody is pointing the finger at Mill Creek. But the post before yours ended "they should all be perfect" - I'm sure you're not actually arguing in favour of errors and faults on product people pay good money for, just because they contain lots of high quality footage. Other series get released with due care and attention, Miami Vice deserves nothing less in my humble opinion.

I was longer not online on this great forum here but I´m surprised that no one discussed the "out of sync" problem on the blu-ray sets. I´ve got the Mill Creek set and I noticed on several episodes that the sound and the movements of the lips don´t fit.

For instance at the beginning of "Definitely Miami" when Don Johnson sees the French actress in the hotel lobby. Some of the dialog is clearly out of sync. I think for instance when Crockett says: Maybe I can help.

I noticed "out of sync" issues on several episodes.

1 hour ago, Mr. Pacino said:

I was longer not online on this great forum here but I´m surprised that no one discussed the "out of sync" problem on the blu-ray sets. I´ve got the Mill Creek set and I noticed on several episodes that the sound and the movements of the lips don´t fit.

For instance at the beginning of "Definitely Miami" when Don Johnson sees the French actress in the hotel lobby. Some of the dialog is clearly out of sync. I think for instance when Crockett says: Maybe I can help.

I noticed "out of sync" issues on several episodes.

In 2.0 and 5.1?

I watched it in 2.0. But I´m sure that it´s also in 5.1.

"Definitely Miami" is not the only episode where some sentences are out of sync.

This problem was already discussed on the blu-ray.com forum and I´m not the only one who noticed that problem.

Tomorrow I can give you guys the exact time code which is out of lync of that episode.

Yeah, I recall that from very early on. It was blamed on original dubbing techniques, but AFAIK nobody has actually done a comparison video to show precisely the difference between the DVD and Blu-ray presentations. It's only of academic interest now as Mill Creek are done with replacements/corrections for this, but if nobody does a comparison and people still care, I'll do a comparison video to show what's going on like I did for Heart of Darkness earlier :)

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 0:36 AM, Mr. Pacino said:

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/210791

The UK blu-ray set really looks too dark and therefore the much cheaper US-set offers a much better picture quality. I´m glad I bought the US-set at the time.

I haven't noticed that at all - I have both sets and posted some pictures/ screenshots comparisons here last month of the month before( for the Europe/UK  set)

The UK set looks very good - I would recommend now all the sound issues have been corrected:hippie:

Edited by Matt5

From the Europe release , Fabulous Films , blu ray set a still from "Calderones Return " part 2

Even this shot which is excellent does not do this justice - it looks so good in real time :hippie:

IMG_3847.JPG

Another still this time from the UK/ Europe Fabulous Films blu ray release 

Miami Vice has never looked better !  - I highly recommend this set

Just look at the clarity , color and lighting in this shot from the Season 3 opener "El Viego" ( aka The Old Man) :hippie:

IMG_3699.PNG

Edited by Matt5

Hi - so it sounds like the blu rays are worth buying. I live in the UK. Money aside, which one is the best to go for? I was under the impression that the US version requires me to get replacement discs too, while the UK version wasn't good. However, the last few posts have changed my mind. Any recommendations on which is the best option (all things being equal I would go with the US version as it's much cheaper!)

Am ‎29‎.‎05‎.‎2017 um 00:30 schrieb Matt5:

From the Europe release , Fabulous Films , blu ray set a still from "Calderones Return " part 2

Even this shot which is excellent does not do this justice - it looks so good in real time :hippie:

IMG_3847.JPG

I love the song during this sequence: Voices, I hear voices......

Edited by Mr. Pacino
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, BlackJack said:

Hi - so it sounds like the blu rays are worth buying. I live in the UK. Money aside, which one is the best to go for? I was under the impression that the US version requires me to get replacement discs too, while the UK version wasn't good. However, the last few posts have changed my mind. Any recommendations on which is the best option (all things being equal I would go with the US version as it's much cheaper!)

Problem is Mill Creek will not send the replacements to the UK - so you'd need to ask someone you know in the US to help you, or use a forwarding company.

So whilst Fabulous have said they will be replacing discs for the audio errors, theirs still has the incorrect black levels and is much more expensive.

Cut your cloth according to what makes most sense to you, or wait for another company in Europe to have a go and see if it's third time lucky :)

1 hour ago, bodie said:

Problem is Mill Creek will not send the replacements to the UK - so you'd need to ask someone you know in the US to help you, or use a forwarding company.

So whilst Fabulous have said they will be replacing discs for the audio errors, theirs still has the incorrect black levels and is much more expensive.

Cut your cloth according to what makes most sense to you, or wait for another company in Europe to have a go and see if it's third time lucky :)

OK. I do know someone in the US so I might do that, thanks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackJack said:

OK. I do know someone in the US so I might do that, thanks

I throughly recommend the Fabulous Films set - expensive but just great - from my screenshots you can see :hippie:

Edited by Matt5

• Administrators
On 2017-5-31 at 6:49 AM, BlackJack said:

Fabulous Films' set isn't that bad. I think it had less audio issues than the Mill Creek one originally did. Fab Films' only problems were with Heart of Darkness with the echoing, and The Great McCarthy with one short line Rico says is missing when they're first meeting with McCarthy and Crockett is joyriding his speedboat. I'm half way through season 5 and I haven't noticed any others, though I am watching it on a low volume. 

If you're in the UK, I recommend Fabulous Films. It's more convenient if you watch on a BluRay Player or PS4 which is region locked. And you can move it and watch it on other systems you might have in your house. If you get Mill Creek you'd have to have a region unlocked BluRay Player or watch it on your computer (if that has a Blu Ray reader), so it's a slight inconvenience.

I'm happy with the Fabulous Films release. Although the black levels are a bit too much, the other colour levels look better than Mill Creek's, in my opinion. It's more colourful and has less of that dusty "faded film" look you get from old film, which Mill Creek has. I also noticed that Mill Creek's is less colourful than even the Hulu releases, Hulu were the first to get these HD episodes, and I've compared them. The colours really pop on the Fabulous Films releases.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:00 AM, Matt5 said:

I haven't noticed that at all - I have both sets and posted some pictures/ screenshots comparisons here last month of the month before( for the Europe/UK  set)

The UK set looks very good - I would recommend now all the sound issues have been corrected

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, bodie said:

@bodie, I thought it was also established that the audio issues remaining on the Mill Creek release are also the same issues found on the FF release? As to picture quality, based on posted screenshots in here I agree with your earlier comments that the FF release is darker than what it should be (wrong settings during production if I recall correctly) and that the MC release is brighter and more true to the actual TV pic quality during the series run.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

@bodie, I thought it was also established that the audio issues remaining on the Mill Creek release are also the same issues found on the FF release? As to picture quality, based on posted screenshots in here I agree with your earlier comments that the FF release is darker than what it should be (wrong settings during production if I recall correctly) and that the MC release is brighter and more true to the actual TV pic quality during the series run.

Absolutely Sonny-Burnett - the key thing is all the Blu-rays are from the same source masters, it's just that Mill Creek (US) included the original stereo sound mixes as well as the 5.1 remixes. Fabulous (UK) just have the 5.1 remixes, so any stereo issues are not going to be a factor there as they just don't have any of those tracks at all.

James is right to highlight the region locking thing, needless to say BlackJack if you can't play Region A locked discs, then this whole rundown of the issues is moot, as you'll only be able to play the UK Region B version.

But, if you are in the market for importing BlackJack (as per your initial query), then I'd look at the evidence yourself in this post from ivoryjones and then read on through page 12 too, we've covered it all :)

Edited by bodie
  • Like 1

Am ‎31‎.‎05‎.‎2017 um 22:21 schrieb Matt5:

I throughly recommend the Fabulous Films set - expensive but just great - from my screenshots you can see :hippie:

That´s bullshit. The screenshot comparisons between the US-set and the Fabulous set shows clearly that the Fabulous set is too dark and therefore not as good as the US-set as far as picture quality is concerned.

• Like 1

A couple of high def screenshots from the Millcreek and Fabulous Films blu ray set .

I'm not comparing screenshots just showing some good examples from episodes I have seen lately on both sets .:hippie:

These are from the Fabulous Films UK set :hippie:

IMG_3972.JPG

IMG_3973.JPG

Edited by Matt5

@Matt5, for comparability me thinks it would make more sense  if you would show the exact same frame (scene) for both MC and FF side by side, as @Ivoryjones did earlier in this thread where he was comparing FF and MC. Because the MC scene you are showing here is indoors and in low light, and I recall that being a particularly dark scene anyway.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett
  • Like 1

• Administrators

The screenshot Matt posted is also from Facebook, which means compression. You accurately judge something from a compressed image.

I wish my PC had a Bluray reader, then I'd be posting a tonne of screenshots. Maybe I'll get one.

• Like 1